LW Arthur Kaliyev (2019, 33rd, LAK)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014

My mans got a really weird interview. I bet some GMs talked s*** about him after he left the room.

I would not say its a "speech impediment".. The guy clearly has a lot of motor tics. Not sure it is a full Tourette, but it is kind of obvious.

Reactions: hi

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
They do. After the young NHLers the cupboard is fairly empty on top end young defensive prospects. I'm hoping they grab Broberg. He would be a great fit in Philly.

Yep. They don't have a frost, farabee or Ratcliffe equivalent on the back end for prospects. Myers is good but when your best D prospect left is undrafted, might as well go get some more.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
I mean I probably would have looked a lot worse at age 18 talking to a bunch of reporters with cameras on me having to answer idiotic questions.

Not everyone is Connor McDavid or Sidney Crosby in terms of dealing with media from a young age.

Wasn't McDavid super awkward?

DieTomi

Auston "50 Goals" Matthews
Aug 4, 2017
Hamilton
It might just be because of the cameras but the lack of eye contact would be weird for me if I was interviewing him. GMs and everyone else in the room commenting on it after he leaves the room is not that far fetched. Especially after the recent comments about some vulgar questions being asked in past combines.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Interesting that he seems to have kept an accent like that given that most reports have him living in New York full time beyond the age of two or four years old. Did he grow up in a very insulated community of immigrants, or what? I can’t imagine a kid comes over at age two and sounds like that at age 18. I think stories are mixed up.

chewbaccaman

Aug 31, 2018
Seattle
Interesting that he seems to have kept an accent like that given that most reports have him living in New York full time beyond the age of two or four years old. Did he grow up in a very insulated community of immigrants, or what? I can’t imagine a kid comes over at age two and sounds like that at age 18. I think stories are mixed up.
Maybe he doesn’t socialize with people outside his family a lot. Did his teammates come to his 21st bday party?

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
OHL’s Top Prospects Participate in Sport Testing Combine – Ontario Hockey League

30m Backward Skate
Kaliyev is 3rd OA

Weave Agility w Puck
Kaliyev is 2nd OA

Transition Agility
Kaliyev is 1st OA

I won't comment on his skating ability because I'm not in a good position to do that. But the facts above are worth noting.

There are actually a lot of quotes from NHL scouts in HockeyProspect's Black Book regarding Kaliyev and what you posted above; basically a lot of them says that they don't/can't take the Top Prospects testing seriously when the results come back like that, because all of them thinks he's a bad skater.,
“His testing results at the Top Prospects game reminded me why I don’t put any stock into the (on ice) testing at that crappy game.” - NHL Scout, January 2019

“How about the testing results in Red Deer…so basically they told us Kaliyev can skate and Suzuki can’t. Got it. What a joke.” - NHL Scout, February 2019

“I put zero stock into that testing (Top Prospects Game) Look at Kaliyev. They might want to think about doing a test that makes them skate for more than 10 seconds. There is a reason few scouts even bother attending the testing anymore.” - NHL Scout, February 2019

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
There are actually a lot of quotes from NHL scouts in HockeyProspect's Black Book regarding Kaliyev and what you posted above; basically a lot of them says that they don't/can't take the Top Prospects testing seriously when the results come back like that, because all of them thinks he's a bad skater.,
I think these scouts have observed that Kaliyev doesn't regularly play with speed. The tests aren't intended to measure that.

Saxon

Mar 9, 2015
As i've said elsewhere, scoring 51 g as a 17yo in the OHL without even trying is pretty impressive. Many players appear to be one thing or another...sometimes you just have to look at the results.
When you consider the context of how TERRIBLE his team was..... It's incredible, and how the hell did he rack up 51 assists playing with those guys?

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
they have been down on Kaliyev all year long- they have been the outlier not the norm...I have some issues with HP and their black book which was filled with a lot of glaring errors throughout the book..but everyone sees things differently - skating is not his problem, I will just say that.

Reactions: 57special

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Skating is one of the few things that almost every prospect gets better at. And Kaliyev isn't even that bad to begin with. All he needs is a lil better top speed and acceleration to be considered a good all around skater. not inconceivable.

kid has so much upside. if he puts in the work he will be an nhl star imo.

Last edited:

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
When you consider the context of how TERRIBLE his team was..... It's incredible, and how the hell did he rack up 51 assists playing with those guys?
and that's without even trying.

I don't understand how Kaliyev can be considered one dimensional with those assists numbers. Just spend a 1/2 hour looking at clips and you can see that the guy has excellent vision and ability to move the puck.

I'm not saying that Kaliyev is a sure thing, but man, any team in need of scoring (which is just about everybody) has to strongly consider picking this guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad