LW Arthur Kaliyev (2019, 33rd, LAK)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Drafted 2nd round, 26th overall by Hamilton. 6'2, 185lbs. Naturally, Kaliyev is a LW but has played RW more recently.

Stats to date: 45 OHL games played, 19G, 14A, 33PTS, +9, 14PIM.

Currently first (tied) in OHL rookie goals scored, and second in OHL rookie points. Leads all rookies with 139 shots on goal. Keep in mind that he is a 2001 while many other the top rookies are 2000 born.

Kaliyev has mostly played on the third line this season due to the depth of the roster, although he has experience on first and second lines, and PP. Next year will be interesting as he will have a larger role with Hamilton as they will be in rebuild mode.

OHL Scouting Report (from OHL Draft Preview Guide):
Arthur is a big, skilled power forward that isn’t afraid to get involved physically. He is a powerful player that has a good stride and is deceptively faster than most defencemen think. He shots the puck like a junior already as his shot is very hard and he gets it off extremely quick. Arthur finds open ice very well and has the ability to hit the open holes just as the puck is getting there. He has great offensive instincts which are very hard to teach.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Looks like he could be a good one. Will be interesting to follow his development over the next year headed into the 2019 draft.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
He's really really good. When I initially saw him against the Knights the other week, I initially thought he was an 18/19 year old because he was so poised and dominated play.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
There are rumours out there that he's not actually the age that he claims he is. Stemmed from a Josh Brown (Kitchener Rangers writer) blog post where he said it as if everyone knew

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
There are rumours out there that he's not actually the age that he claims he is. Stemmed from a Josh Brown (Kitchener Rangers writer) blog post where he said it as if everyone knew
So far Brown (to my knowledge) is the only one to bring up Kaliyev's age and he has yet to offer any source, evidence, or even a quote about it (from a source, the party complaining, the OHL, Bulldogs' GM Steve Staios, or Kaliyev himself). To my knowledge all Josh Brown has posted is, "There are rumblings out there that Hamilton Bulldogs standout rookie Arthur Kaliyev may, in fact, not be 16 years old".

Just a rumour for the time being without any detail.

Since then Kaliyev has continued to produce while Josh Brown has yet to respond further. I see that today one media member is following up still looking for a response from him.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I really like this kid...he is a heck of a player and really came from left field to add to a very talented crop of US kids for this draft. love his knack for the net, he goes into the dirty areas which will serve him well over the years.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I really like this kid...he is a heck of a player and really came from left field to add to a very talented crop of US kids for this draft. love his knack for the net, he goes into the dirty areas which will serve him well over the years.

The 2019 WJC-18 team might be ridiculous. They also needed a bigger top 6 forward, considering most of the top forwards are sub 6'0.

This top 6 could be 6 first rounders with a number of them early in the first round.

Boldy-Hughes-Caufield
Kaliyev-Turcotte-Zegras

Reactions: AmericanDream

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
The 2019 WJC-18 team might be ridiculous. They also needed a bigger top 6 forward, considering most of the top forwards are sub 6'0.

This top 6 could be 6 first rounders with a number of them early in the first round.

Boldy-Hughes-Caufield
Kaliyev-Turcotte-Zegras

you think USA Hockey asks him to play? I certainly hope they do, typically only add 1-2 guys not with the USNDP

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
you think USA Hockey asks him to play? I certainly hope they do, typically only add 1-2 guys not with the USNDP

Who knows? Its over a year away, but if he's projecting as an early pick, I think they should ask him to play.

While the best forwards in this group look really good, I've not been impressed with the complimentary forwards on multiple occasions, so they might need to add some forwards.

ForestCityHky

Feb 15, 2018
Not uncommon with russian prospects who come to NA.

have heard same suggestions about Andrei Svechnikov too

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
How does he compare to other top names in the 2019 draft? Where would he be projected this far out from the draft? Top15? Top30?

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
How do you compare him to Jason Robertson right now Brock?

Right now?

Robertson is the better player. But he should be given the two year age gap. Robertson's work along the boards and his playmaking ability is superior for sure.

But Kaliyev is already an equivalent skater, with the chance to be quite superior with some good work this offseason heading into his draft year.

The continued evolution of Kaliyev's power game, in addition to his playmaking ability and vision will be key to seeing where he goes come the 2019 Draft. He is extremely skilled with the puck and he has a big time shot and scoring instincts. But let's see if he can start taking over games the way Robertson does with his puck possession ability and puck poise in the offensive end.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Right now?

Robertson is the better player. But he should be given the two year age gap. Robertson's work along the boards and his playmaking ability is superior for sure.

But Kaliyev is already an equivalent skater, with the chance to be quite superior with some good work this offseason heading into his draft year.

The continued evolution of Kaliyev's power game, in addition to his playmaking ability and vision will be key to seeing where he goes come the 2019 Draft. He is extremely skilled with the puck and he has a big time shot and scoring instincts. But let's see if he can start taking over games the way Robertson does with his puck possession ability and puck poise in the offensive end.

great post, appreciate it as always sir.

I am hoping that Kaliyev turns into a Robertson and uses that size, skill, and shot to simply dominate games...bright future ahead no doubt for the kid...

keep us updated on him when you can Brock, hard to catch much of Hamilton in the states.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York

Having a fantastic rookie year.
In retrospect I'm sure USA wish they gave him a spot on the national team.

We still have Hain and Giles in the top 9. There's definitely a spot for him. I think there's a spot for him and Boldy, but I don't know if they want to displace any more of the first year draft eligibles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->