LW Arshdeep Bains - Vancouver Canucks (2019 undrafted; signed by VAN)

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Following in the footsteps of fellow Canadian-Indian/Punjabi Jujhar Khaira...

Never seen him play, but could probably get an AHL opportunity.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
He's an overager who just turned 21. He's having a good season but in previous seasons, he hasn't shown much offensive talent.

Where are you hearing that some NHL teams are interested?

Reactions: Dominance

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
He's an overager who just turned 21. He's having a good season but in previous seasons, he hasn't shown much offensive talent.

said it in the TSN broadcast which is covering the CHL this year.

just said NHL scouts have shown an interest.

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
I believe Dhaliwal tweeted the same thing the other day (teams were interested).

Anyone know how his skating is?

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
That's a first name alright.
The correct pronunciation of that name please?

-----

never heard of this player, i assume he is undrafted?

Err Shh Deep. The 'Err and Shh' would be one syllable and the 'Deep' would be the 2nd.

The 'd' is tough to explain since I don't know if English has the right replacement for what we normally use in Hindi/Punjabi or other South Asian languages.

Edit: By 'Err' I actually mean it in a more phonetic way. Eg: 'Err ... I don't know what is going on'. The 'Shh' is more like a 'be quiet .. shhh'.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

this report has him in the mix

https://thehockeywriters.com/top-5-undrafted-whl-players-sign-2022-23/

But when we look back in 5 years most likely maybe one or 2 of them even have a decent AHL career to be honest.

Guys who suddenly blossom in their overage junior year rarely pan out to anything worth noting.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
I think the Canucks should try to get him on an AHL or even an entry level contract. Even if he doesn't work out as an NHL prospect, he can contribute to the AHL and is a local kid.

Reactions: mattydamon

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
Another nice night for the kid.

I believe his linemate Ben King is draft eligible for the 3rd and final time this summer.

6’3” and 200 pounds. 16 months younger than Bains. They are tied for points, but King has 46 goals to Bains‘ 33.

Hes from B.C. also….I’d love to get him. He had a decent season last year as well.

Reactions: ORRFForever

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Another nice night for the kid.

I believe his linemate Ben King is draft eligible for the 3rd and final time this summer.

6’3” and 200 pounds. 16 months younger than Bains. They are tied for points, but King has 46 goals to Bains‘ 33.

Hes from B.C. also….I’d love to get him. He had a decent season last year as well.

These older guys breaking out often go nowhere....even at the AHL level so people should slow down the train a bit.

Reactions: Baaaaaaaaaaaaah

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
These older guys breaking out often go nowhere....even at the AHL level so people should slow down the train a bit.
But, if you look at his numbers, he put up good numbers on a bad team last year as well as a D+1 (28 points in 21 games). His PPG was substantially higher than Bains’ last year (and as mentioned above, King is 16 months younger).

Even in his draft season, his numbers were respectable on Red Deer (38 points in 46 games.

King doesn’t seem like a guy that’s breaking out just because of an age advantage. I’d actually say that is far more likely to be the case with Bains.

He could be a guy that flew under the radar a bit because of last years weird Covid season.

Again, keeping in mind Bains is 16 months older than King, look at their PPG over these last 3 seasons while on the same team:

2022: tied
2021: 1.33 PPG for King vs 0.91 PPG for Bains.
2020: 0.83 PPG for King vs 0.81 PPG for Bains

Reactions: supercanuck

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
But, if you look at his numbers, he put up good numbers on a bad team last year as well as a D+1 (28 points in 21 games). His PPG was substantially higher than Bains’ last year (and as mentioned above, King is 16 months younger).

Even in his draft season, his numbers were respectable on Red Deer (38 points in 46 games.

King doesn’t seem like a guy that’s breaking out just because of an age advantage. I’d actually say that is far more likely to be the case with Bains.

He could be a guy that flew under the radar a bit because of last years weird Covid season.

Again, keeping in mind Bains is 16 months older than King, look at their PPG over these last 3 seasons while on the same team:

2022: tied
2021: 1.33 PPG for King vs 0.91 PPG for Bains.
2020: 0.83 PPG for King vs 0.81 PPG for Bains

I was speaking more about Bains than King but honestly haven't really watched King much this year.

For me the barometer was Casey Pierro-Zabotel who some were calling a future NHLer after his overage season with the Vancouver Giants.

Often these older guys will "dominate" their junior leagues because they are quite good older junior players but don't have enough skill and overall ability to make the next step.

Every year there are at least a couple of guys like this in every league and every year they are hyped and then once in a while one them actually makes the NHL, most don't and many don't even become very good AHL players either.

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
I was speaking more about Bains than King but honestly haven't really watched King much this year.

For me the barometer was Casey Pierro-Zabotel who some were calling a future NHLer after his overage season with the Vancouver Giants.

Often these older guys will "dominate" their junior leagues because they are quite good older junior players but don't have enough skill and overall ability to make the next step.

Every year there are at least a couple of guys like this in every league and every year they are hyped and then once in a while one them actually makes the NHL, most don't and many don't even become very good AHL players either.
Well, I definitely think that’s the most likely scenario with Bains; he will likely really struggle to be an effective middle 6’er at the AHL level. The fact that he’s an East Indian kid, and from Surrey probably played a part in him getting signed to play in Abbotsford.
If we still had an ECHL affiliate, I’d guess that’s where he’d eventually end up.

My point with the numbers above was that King isn’t breaking out because of his age, and has actually put up good numbers in each of his D, D+1 and D+2 seasons.
I don’t think King is in the same category as Bains. He may simply be a guy that got passed over in his D season, but because of limited viewings by scouts because of the Covid season last year, he should have been picked.

Reactions: Siludin and Bubbles

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Well, I definitely think that’s the most likely scenario with Bains; he will likely really struggle to be an effective middle 6’er at the AHL level. The fact that he’s an East Indian kid, and from Surrey probably played a part in him getting signed to play in Abbotsford.
If we still had an ECHL affiliate, I’d guess that’s where he’d eventually end up.

My point with the numbers above was that King isn’t breaking out because of his age, and has actually put up good numbers in each of his D, D+1 and D+2 seasons.
I don’t think King is in the same category as Bains. He may simply be a guy that got passed over in his D season, but because of limited viewings by scouts because of the Covid season last year, he should have been picked.

Or maybe he is a Josh Williams or Jordy Bellerive type of player who has good numbers but his overall skills just don't trranslate.

Honestly I don't know enough about King to say either way but it's still an uphill climb and a longshot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad