LW Arseniy Gritsyuk - SKA St.Petersburg, KHL (2019, 129th, NJD)

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
As always the Devils fans aren't visiting the prospect boards, so there is no thread for Arseniy Gritsyuk and we shouldn't tolerate that. :)

I think most of us don't really know how to follow Russian prospects playing in the KHL and MHL. No one really knew what to expect from Maltsev when he came over (pleasant surprise so far), we just saw his stats and watched a couple of mix tapes. We're excited about Misyul as well, but again, I don't think anyone is really watching him.

But thank you for posting these!

RichBaster

Feb 18, 2015
6 goals and 6 assists in 9 games which is outstanding for the MHL. He is also generating 4.5 shots per game. Is he possibly on the radar for Russia U20 team?
Whats the quality of the MHL though in comparison to NA leagues? I know its the junior league in Russia but curious about the quality of it.

Also since teams are affiliated with KHL teams, is there any chance he gets called up by Avangard Omsk this season? I'm guessing no but curious for anyone that has knowledge of them.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Whats the quality of the MHL though in comparison to NA leagues? I know its the junior league in Russia but curious about the quality of it.

Also since teams are affiliated with KHL teams, is there any chance he gets called up by Avangard Omsk this season? I'm guessing no but curious for anyone that has knowledge of them.

It's definitely worse than the WHL and OHL, It's probably worse than the USHL and QMJHL, but not that much worse.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
It's definitely worse than the WHL and OHL, It's probably worse than the USHL and QMJHL, but not that much worse.
The QMJHL has won the last 2 Memorial Cups. That league is also going to produce the 1st overall pick in 2020 if everything goes according to plan. I think the QMJHL is on par with the other 2 leagues in the CHL nowadays. Anyway this kid seems intriguing but it's hard to gauge how good he is right now. Hopefully he plays in the WJC this winter and moves up to the VHL at some point.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
The QMJHL has won the last 2 Memorial Cups. That league is also going to produce the 1st overall pick in 2020 if everything goes according to plan. I think the QMJHL is on par with the other 2 leagues in the CHL nowadays. Anyway this kid seems intriguing but it's hard to gauge how good he is right now. Hopefully he plays in the WJC this winter and moves up to the VHL at some point.
MHL's scoring is typically less than the QMJHL from what I remember. I would have to check the number though.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Similar in the best teams, but Id say there's a lot of bad teams that are bad bad.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

The depth of teams in the QMJHL isn't as good as the other two CHL leagues. Maybe this isn't a problem on the best team or two in the league, but its a problem for most of the league.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
The **** has the WHL done lately? get out of here

It's cyclical. Notice how the 1st round of the 2019 draft had 6 WHL players including 3,4) and only 2 came from the Q? Both are decent leagues. From an overall basis over multiple years there's not a big difference.

Also and not to get technical because I think both are decent leagues, 137 whlers were on nhl openning rosters last year, to only 82 from the Q.

MitchMurphy

Nov 29, 2017
Got it. Thanks for the info!

He was never even included in the list of candidates, because he is MHL player.

But that’s a disgusting talent handling by Avangard’s management. They want to win KHL and MHL titles both and leave all their best young talents in MHL team and don’t even let them play in VHL.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
But that’s a disgusting talent handling by Avangard’s management. They want to win KHL and MHL titles both and leave all their best young talents in MHL team and don’t even let them play in VHL.
Their VHL team is terrible and plays in Izhevsk while MHL team is great and plays in Omsk. Under the circumstances, I think talent management is fair enough. If anything, Gritsyuk himself would probably pretty upset if he was sent away.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->