LW Andreas Johnson - Frolunda, SHL (2013, 202nd, TOR)

LeafGm

Jan 10, 2009
Any update on his health?
This is the most recent update I've seen:

Q: How is Johnson doing? Take us through what happened last night and how he feels today.

A: Yeah, he's feeling a lot better today, and he was in pretty rough shape leaving here from everything I was told and didn't remember anything, and there was a lot of cause for concern, certainly. So he went off to the hospital, and a member of our training staff went with him. Andrew Campbell, our captain went with him as well to provide some support there for him, and he spent a good part of the night there, and late in the night he was released back to the hotel. We took care of him through the night to check on him and make sure he was good, and he came down for breakfast this morning, late this morning, and looked to be in good spirits and doing a lot better so that made me certainly feel a lot better. Watching that hit over and over again last night was sickening and hard to watch. But to see him down at breakfast today made me feel a lot better about everything and it was good to see that so you know, we're not going to expect him back on the ice any time soon.

So, looks like he got out of hospital fairly quickly, and was feeling better the next day.

But I doubt we'll be seeing him again until he's been symptom-free for a while.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Does anyone know if Johnson has been back on the ice over the summer? Looks like the leafs having him on the roster for the rookie tournament, so I'll take that as a good sign

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Hattrick tonight. He's developed really well in the AHL over this past year. Quality goal scorer. Hopefully he gets a chance soon as he's waiver eligible next year but there's so much competition on the Leafs for forward spots with Kapanen, and Leivo already ahead of him, and Sosh too when he's healthy.

Does Johnsson PK on the Marlies? I heard he does, but can't remember for sure. If he does that could help him get a spot as we see with Leivo it's hard for a guy to break through for Babcock when you don't

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Hattrick tonight. He's developed really well in the AHL over this past year. Quality goal scorer. Hopefully he gets a chance soon as he's waiver eligible next year but there's so much competition on the Leafs for forward spots with Kapanen, and Leivo already ahead of him, and Sosh too when he's healthy.

Does Johnsson PK on the Marlies? I heard he does, but can't remember for sure. If he does that could help him get a spot as we see with Leivo it's hard for a guy to break through for Babcock when you don't

They do need to get a look at him this year.

It's annoying that we keep a full 23 man roster with guys who hardly play and end up blocking the path.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
I would love to see him get a shot with the big club down the stretch, but it would probably require either injuries or trades. He deserves to be playing in the NHL right now. He is a great two-way player with a nose for the net.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Tied his goal total from laster year (20G) in 36 fewer games (39GP), which is only 2 goals short of the league lead in the AHL. He's easily the Marlies best forward alongside Kapanen, who have looked dominant together. Both of them are too good for the AHL at this point.

What makes Johnsson so good/unique is his drive train and compete without the puck. For such a skilled sniper he has a nose for the net and takes a lot of punishment to cash in on loose pucks in the crease. Babcock is going to love his compete in the D zone and on the back check; very similar to Kapanen in that regard. Johnsson is one of the organizations "true" shooters who can be a real straight line, one-timer threat on the PP and 5 on 5. I like the Alex Steen comparison.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Tied his goal total from laster year (20G) in 36 fewer games (39GP), which is only 2 goals short of the league lead in the AHL. He's easily the Marlies best forward alongside Kapanen, who have looked dominant together. Both of them are too good for the AHL at this point.

What makes Johnsson so good/unique is his drive train and compete without the puck. For such a skilled sniper he has a nose for the net and takes a lot of punishment to cash in on loose pucks in the crease. Babcock is going to love his compete in the D zone and on the back check; very similar to Kapanen in that regard. Johnsson is one of the organizations "true" shooters who can be a real straight line, one-timer threat on the PP and 5 on 5. I like the Alex Steen comparison.
Steen turned into a bit of a physical brute, not sure if Johnsson will have much of that in his game just because of size

I sort of like Hornqvist for a Johnsson comparable, maybe a little less aggression in Johnsson's game but similar tools and tendencies for where he'll score from. I don't mind Hornqvist as a comp for Kapanen too - all of them have good shots, all on the speedy end of the scale, and all tend to score dirty area goals too

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
10 pts in his last 4 games, and is having a fantastic season. He needs to get a call up. He is perhaps one of the most underrated prospects in hockey.

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
10 pts in his last 4 games, and is having a fantastic season. He needs to get a call up. He is perhaps one of the most underrated prospects in hockey.

Basically no chance of that happening without major injuries. We're about to be forced to waive Sosh/Leivo and they've proved themselves in the AHL just like Johnson as well as played a decent chunk of NHL games.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
I really wish we could trade Moore/ Martin and Leivo. Move Uncle Leo to 4C and give Andreas that LW slot on the 4th line. We can keep Sosh as our extra guy. Sosh is a great energy guy who can PK much like AJ. Both more versatile and therefore more attractive options for Babs than Leivo/Moore/Martin.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
The next wave is on the way.
I think this Kapanen/Johnsson/Leivo wave will get a real chance next year. I feel bad for the wave behind them, at least the current guys are blocked by a group that includes a bunch of older UFA's, the next wave is going to be blocked by prime aged RFA's on cheaper contracts

Reactions: Rob Brown

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Realistically next year, if neither Sosh or Leivo are moved there will be a lot of competition for spots again as mentioned by a previous poster. Leivo, Sosh, Johnsson, Grundstrom, Aaltonen, Gauthier, Rychel and Korshkov trying to crack the line up. Obviously, the lines probably won't be exactly what is below, but it seems barring any major moves that fill in the question marks, there could be at most 4 spot up for grabs. 5 if you use one as the 13th forward, but that is likely a vet.

Hyman-Matthews-Marner
?-Nylander-Kapanen
Marleau-Kadri-Brown
?-?-?

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
8 game point streak, 17 points in his last 8 games, and up to a total of 46 points in 46 games on the AHL season.

This is the same guy that won SHL rookie of the year over Wennberg and Fiala in 2013-2014 and scored 20 goals as an AHL rookie. For a 7th round pick the Leafs might have a monster here.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
8 game point streak, 17 points in his last 8 games, and up to a total of 46 points in 46 games on the AHL season.

This is the same guy that won SHL rookie of the year over Wennberg and Fiala in 2013-2014 and scored 20 goals as an AHL rookie. For a 7th round pick the Leafs might have a monster here.
That's ridiculous.
I bet in a normal scenario the Leafs would love to keep JVR but with prospects like Johnsson, Kapanen, Grundstrom, Leivo and the big Russian kid, there isn't a hope in hell that he's a Leaf next season.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I wish he was in NHL.. LOVE this prospect but hate hes already 23 and still in the minors... please trade him or JVR or whoever so he can be up in the NHL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->