LW Andreas Johnson - Frolunda, SHL (2013, 202nd, TOR)

Systemfel

<b><i>Hockey Talk by Country</b></i>
Jun 20, 2004
Gothenburg
In the event he came over and played in the AHL for us this season after the SHL was over, it wouldn't effect his ELC unless he played 10 games in the NHL right? Or does he still burn a year off his contract because we allowed him to play in Sweden? Not quite sure on this stuff when it comes to European players.
The contract is already in effect, since he's not junior-aged.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
The contract is already in effect, since he's not junior-aged.

Alright so if he doesn't head over to the World Championships after his SHL season, it makes the most sense to actually put him in the AHL, let him get adjusted to the smaller ice etc provided he isn't injured or anything.

Thank you for the clarification.

figure

Nov 19, 2015
West Coast
I wonder if this guy could be the future Christian Dvorak for Mitch Marner. The kid owns a heck of a shot

They are both on the smaller side, I agree the kid can finish and that is exactly the type of player we need with Marner (hello Laine), but it will be many many years before we see these two on the same line in the NHL.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Is Johnson a candidate for the World Championships or is there a chance we see him with the Marlies for the playoffs?

Well I'm not too sure how he compares or ranks for Swedish players in the SHL. I know I'd like to see him help the Marlies in their playoff run and get a bit of experience on small ice.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
They are both on the smaller side, I agree the kid can finish and that is exactly the type of player we need with Marner (hello Laine), but it will be many many years before we see these two on the same line in the NHL.

Johnson very well may be in our top 9 next season. Marner likely as well.

If not, both will be in the lineup in the 17-18 season. And quite frankly, they are very good fits for each others games. So it's very possible they get paired up together.

So define "many many years". Because it will be 1, 2 max.

LeafGm

Jan 10, 2009
Actually, the Leafs would've had to offer him back to Frölunda if he hadn't made the NHL roster this year, due to these factors: age (under 22), draft status (not a 1st round pick), and contract (he was signed for 15-16 with Frölunda).

Frölunda could've recalled Tom Nilsson in 2014 due to the same rules, but chose not to.
Thanks for the correction.

A question on this rule then: Oliver Kylington is under-22 and not a first round pick, but he's playing in the AHL this year. Is that solely because he was a free agent? Or did AIK, like Frolunda with Nilsson, have to decide to let him go?

In other words, does the SHL/NHL transfer agreement dictate that any under-22 player picked outside of the first round can't play in the AHL, regardless of their contract status?

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Thanks for the correction.

A question on this rule then: Oliver Kylington is under-22 and not a first round pick, but he's playing in the AHL this year. Is that solely because he was a free agent? Or did AIK, like Frolunda with Nilsson, have to decide to let him go?

In other words, does the SHL/NHL transfer agreement dictate that any under-22 player picked outside of the first round can't play in the AHL, regardless of their contract status?

AIK let him go.

Systemfel

<b><i>Hockey Talk by Country</b></i>
Jun 20, 2004
Gothenburg

No, contract status matters. Like Huffman said, Kylington wasn't a free agent either, he signed with AIK on May 13.

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
Johnson has been doing phenomenal in the SHL this year (statistically).

Can any SHL fans comment on what we may expect out of him next year in NA? Some comparables maybe? (Not NHL comps, I mean Swedish players who have come over)

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
Johnson has been doing phenomenal in the SHL this year (statistically).

Can any SHL fans comment on what we may expect out of him next year in NA? Some comparables maybe? (Not NHL comps, I mean Swedish players who have come over)

Best case scenario is somewhere along Gus Nyqvist I think.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario

He doesn't really play like either of Tatar or Nyquist though. Nyquist is much more reliant on his speed to create offense, and Tatar is more rounded offensively. Tatar is less of a sniper than Johnson and relies a little more on play making and high IQ plays to create offense. Johnson I see as more of a finisher of plays than anything else.

Shwaguy*

I see a Mike Cammelleri type winger at his peak, if he makes it, that is.

45-60 points if he plays top 6 with a couple 30 goal seasons.

A bit Better numbers if a guy like Marner of Nylander become a star and he rides shotgun with one of them.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Timashov-Nylander-Johnson

swede lines

I don't think Timashov and Nylander would be a great line. They both require the puck on their stick to really shine the offensive dynamos they are. Johnson is a match made in heaven for Nylander though, assuming he can play in a top 6 role in the NHL. It would be your classic elite play maker feeding a natural goal scorer situation.

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
That'd be sweet, but I don't think that Andreas has that sort of speed and possession to his game.

Unless you're talking about impact?

He definitely has the speed he's more of a shooter than passer though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->