LW Andreas Johnson - Frolunda, SHL (2013, 202nd, TOR)

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I was at the game yesterday, and he did impress me. I was mostly there to watch Lehkonen (habs fan), who also had a good game. However, between the two, Johnson was clearly the more offensively dangerous. He scored a nice goal by driving hard to the front of the net. He played well on the cycle all night, being implicated in a few more scoring opportunities that didn't lead to goals.

The highlights are here if they haven't been posted already.

http://www.championshockeyleague.net/video/highlights-tappara-tampere-vs-froelunda-gothenburg/999/

Shwaguy*

Where do you guys think he ranks as a prospect? Top 50? Top 100?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I definitely think he's top 100.

I would love to see some Swedish magic with Nylander and Johnson together.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
He hasn't produced a whole lot over the last 6 or 7 games.

Given his start to the season, I would hazard a guess that he's possibly dealing with an injury or something.

Very uncharacteristic of him to kind of disappear off the scoresheet.

Systemfel

<b><i>Hockey Talk by Country</b></i>
Jun 20, 2004
Gothenburg
They count shootout goals in their stats?

Well that changes things. Is that just in the SHL?

Only shootout gwg count as goals. Still does inflate stats a bit. Yes I believe it's SHL only.
It's the same in IIHF play. He's scored two shootout winners.

He hasn't produced a whole lot over the last 6 or 7 games.

Given his start to the season, I would hazard a guess that he's possibly dealing with an injury or something.

Very uncharacteristic of him to kind of disappear off the scoresheet.
Whole team has lost its scoring touch lately. The RW on his line (Max Görtz) has been playing really lazy, drags his linemates down. Think the coach might finally switch him out today against HIFK.

Last edited:

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
It's the same in IIHF play. He's scored two shootout winners.

Whole team has lost its scoring touch lately. The RW on his line (Max Görtz) has been playing really lazy, drags his linemates down. Think the coach might finally switch him out today against HIFK.

You seem to watch him a lot more than I have (only really WJC and the occasional, but very rare Frolunda game). How do think his game translates into the NA game?

Systemfel

Jun 20, 2004
Gothenburg
You seem to watch him a lot more than I have (only really WJC and the occasional, but very rare Frolunda game). How do think his game translates into the NA game?
I think he could do well on the smaller ice. He's not afraid to go to the hard areas. He's much better at shooting from in tight, really good at elevating the puck, that should help him, I think. Reminds me a lot of Cammalleri.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
I think he could do well on the smaller ice. He's not afraid to go to the hard areas. He's much better at shooting from in tight, really good at elevating the puck, that should help him, I think. Reminds me a lot of Cammalleri.

That comparison makes a lot of sense. From my viewings, Andreas may not have the speed that Cammalleri does but in the offensive zone they're very similar it seems.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto

Interesting comparison. Cool, thanks!

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

Does he have the ability to snipe off the rush or from the face off circle? Or is it just so obvious he's better in tight?

Systemfel

Jun 20, 2004
Gothenburg
That comparison makes a lot of sense. From my viewings, Andreas may not have the speed that Cammalleri does but in the offensive zone they're very similar it seems.
I think he's speedier now than in the past. Probably because of the diagnosed asthma. Doesn't help him score a lot, though, as Frölunda isn't a counter-attack team.

Does he have the ability to snipe off the rush or from the face off circle? Or is it just so obvious he's better in tight?
He can score off the rush, but Frölunda rarely gets that type of scoring chances. They like to come at teams as a five-man unit or score off the cycle.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
I think he's speedier now than in the past. Probably because of the diagnosed asthma. Doesn't help him score a lot, though, as Frölunda isn't a counter-attack team.

He can score off the rush, but Frölunda rarely gets that type of scoring chances. They like to come at teams as a five-man unit or score off the cycle.

That's the exact opposite style of hockey the Maple Leafs play.

m4tt145

Jun 7, 2013
I'd argue Kadri's line cycles with Lupul and Santorelli aswell.

But besides that, looks like Johnson is heading to the Channel 1 cup with the Swedish Mens team over the holidays.

Yep. Due to Klasen and Pettersson not joining, he gets a spot. Should have had a spot last tourney, but MÃ¥rts is MÃ¥rts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->