LW Andreas Johnson - Frolunda, SHL (2013, 202nd, TOR)

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
I've watched the last three Marlies games and Johnsson is simply too good for this league. I think he could seriously be a dark horse calder nominee as long as he starts the season strong and earns Babcocks trust quickly (to get more minutes).
Agreed, he's probably one of the most NHL ready prospects out there. He's been developed well, we took our time with him and he improved every year.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I haven't seen Arvidsson in him yet if that's meant to be a stylistic comparison - not as shifty or slippery, but very fast with a good release and always in the dirty areas for a small player. Personally I see a lot more Hornqvist than Arvidsson stylistically

also think that we should slow our roll a little on expecting him to be a 1st line type winger, that would be a great result but so would a really good 3rd liner honestly

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
I haven't seen Arvidsson in him yet if that's meant to be a stylistic comparison - not as shifty or slippery, but very fast with a good release and always in the dirty areas for a small player. Personally I see a lot more Hornqvist than Arvidsson stylistically

also think that we should slow our roll a little on expecting him to be a 1st line type winger, that would be a great result but so would a really good 3rd liner honestly
The translation of NHL production from AHL production in the same season is a ~0.5 NHLe, meaning his regular season would be equal to a 40 point NHL season, and if you consider Johnsson to have taken himself to another level in the past 30 AHL games with the 45 points he's had in them & clearly visible dominant play compared to his early season play, that'd translate to ~60 points in the NHL. And there's a reason he was like top 3 on the Leafs in xGf% at least in regular season

I think it's a guarantee he puts up 45-50 points with the potential for more, high end 3rd liner is his floor IMO.

Scott Malkinson

Sep 29, 2017

He's almost an identical stylistic comparison to Viktor Arvidsson.

Johnsson plays very little like Hornqvist.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
another 3 point night... now 20 points in 14 playoff games

45 points in his last 30 AHL games...
I was laughing watching the game last night, he does whatever he wants out there.

His game is evolving pretty quickly too. He's always been willing to take punishment, but now he's purposely driving the net and flying in to high traffic areas for scoring chances. He does it all.

He is going to be scary good at the next level. Only better Marlies forward i've ever watched is Nylander.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
The translation of NHL production from AHL production in the same season is a ~0.5 NHLe, meaning his regular season would be equal to a 40 point NHL season, and if you consider Johnsson to have taken himself to another level in the past 30 AHL games with the 45 points he's had in them & clearly visible dominant play compared to his early season play, that'd translate to ~60 points in the NHL. And there's a reason he was like top 3 on the Leafs in xGf% at least in regular season

I think it's a guarantee he puts up 45-50 points with the potential for more, high end 3rd liner is his floor IMO.

I don't have any data to prove this but I imagine that NHLe has a cap at some point, like once you hit a certain PPG the upside is too hard to accurately predict.

Like I think once you are producing at 45 points in 30 page kind of pace I think you separate into a different class.

weems

Jul 3, 2008

I agree with you.

The Hornqvist comparison would be better thrown on Grundstrom than Johnsson.

Johnsson's game is built around speed, guile, and playmaking abilities/finishing.

Grundstrom like Hornqvist is built more around strength, net front presence, gritty two way play and ability to finish. Both of these guys I would say aren't slow but also not the fleetest of foot.

Johnsson is easily the quickest of those three but not nearly as physically imposing.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton

I'll disagree. A lot more north-south than Arvidsson, a lot more time with two hands on the stick, much higher propensity to shoot and Arvidsson is like Panarin level slippery

I'll take either, I just don't see Arvidsson in his game

I'm a little more cautious, but I do think he's an NHL player with that speed. I'll be very happy if he ends up as a consistent 45-50 point player, and I do see the potential for more if all breaks his way

Scott Malkinson

Sep 29, 2017
I'll disagree. A lot more north-south than Arvidsson, a lot more time with two hands on the stick, much higher propensity to shoot and Arvidsson is like Panarin level slippery

I'll take either, I just don't see Arvidsson in his game

I'm a little more cautious, but I do think he's an NHL player with that speed. I'll be very happy if he ends up as a consistent 45-50 point player, and I do see the potential for more if all breaks his way
Aside from Arvidsson having a slight advantage in terms of lateral mobility, Johnsson has a lot of similar qualities to him.

He's a better skater than Hornqvist and not nearly as feisty or physical.

Semantics aside, Johnsson belongs in the NHL and he'll be a key role player for Toronto in 2018/19.

Also, he's come a long way since I started this thread under my old username.

Reactions: weems

nickdawg95

scoutdawg
Jan 7, 2016
Love this guy. seen him live 3 times, he's a total workhorse ! you can just tell he's someone who want to be a full timer. hopefully he gets his chance next season

Reactions: leospaceman3434

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Aside from Arvidsson having a slight advantage in terms of lateral mobility, Johnsson has a lot of similar qualities to him.

He's a better skater than Hornqvist and not nearly as feisty or physical.

Semantics aside, Johnsson belongs in the NHL and he'll be a key role player for Toronto in 2018/19.

Also, he's come a long way since I started this thread under my old username.
I'd buy an Arvidsson comp without the lateral movement or toe drags but that sort of defines him for me. I think I've used something like "faster Hornqvist with less grit" for Johnsson before, so it sounds like we're seeing similar things

agree though, doesn't really matter who he compares to, he looks like a player and I like that his contract is up at a time that we could get him on a good cap hit for a little longer during a time when our core should be peaking

Reactions: Scott Malkinson

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
7th rounder due to Asthma issues. Bergman deserves a job for life with the leafs due to this pick amongst his others.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
Johnsson looks terrific out there, along with Dermott, Rosen, Aaltonen and Grundstrom.
Timashov is coming along nicely as well.

Scott Malkinson

Sep 29, 2017
I'd buy an Arvidsson comp without the lateral movement or toe drags but that sort of defines him for me. I think I've used something like "faster Hornqvist with less grit" for Johnsson before, so it sounds like we're seeing similar things

agree though, doesn't really matter who he compares to, he looks like a player and I like that his contract is up at a time that we could get him on a good cap hit for a little longer during a time when our core should be peaking

This is the type of player you build winning teams with. His contractual situation in relation to his age is perfect. He's completely ready to step in and contribute while being very affordable for the next 3 or 4 years. He may not score 35 goals like JVR but I can see him hitting 45+ points next season. On top of his offensive skills, the guy battles really hard and is all heart.

I love it.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
This is the type of player you build winning teams with. His contractual situation in relation to his age is perfect. He's completely ready to step in and contribute while being very affordable for the next 3 or 4 years. He may not score 35 goals like JVR but I can see him hitting 45+ points next season. On top of his offensive skills, the guy battles really hard and is all heart.

I love it.

Prospects like Johnsson is what makes teams like Tampa, Nashville so good. Hitting on your 1st rounders is good, but expected. Finding value guys in the later rounds like Palat, Peca, Arvidsson etc is what makes your team a contender.

Reactions: Scott Malkinson

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton

I love it.
I think its hard not to like our system's chances of producing some really good complimentary wingers in the near future - Johnsson looks great, Kapanen and Grundstrom should be getting real opportunity in the next couple of seasons, Engvall looks like he could be a very competent NHL'er, Bracco is a lottery ticket that I think we'll get a much better read on this year, and Leivo has been all but forgotten about but he did nothing to earn that but not get played so I'm interested to see if he gets an actual look this year (also a bit of a Leivo fanboy, I think he'll be a really nice find if he gets into the lineup in the right circumstances...tailor made for JVR's role imo)

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
hes basically a tyler johnson clone. Dude has the skill, heart, and speed... what more could you ask for? Get ready NHL, AJ is comin

Reactions: Atomos2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad