LW Anderson MacDonald - Acadie-Bathurst Titan, QMJHL (2018 undrafted)

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
I don't blame him at all for wanting out if the coach weighs him before every game. If he was 240+ I'd get it but 200 for a kid his height? That's a damn joke

Yeah also might be some prejudice from a French coach towards an Anglophone player.

zeropotentate

Dec 4, 2012
Ontario
Although Halifax would benefit from having MacDonald, it might be alluring for Saint John to trade for him and have him play with Veleno all season

ijuka

May 14, 2016
That seems a little over the top to me. Some players mature faster than others and I don't think that 200 pounds is a very reasonable limit, even. How much did Matthews weigh, 216 at the same height? Sure, he was older, but would he have been happy if the coach benched him for something like that? And if the goal is for him to lose weight, isn't it far better to play than to sit on the bench?

Pretty ridiculous in my opinion.

Jethlan

Apr 3, 2017
RDP
My comparable for him would be Mark Stone. Scores a bunch of goals in the slot. Fairly smart player. Can be physical but not on a consistent basis. Is tall and has good size. Decent skater, not great but not bad either.

How are his hands?

penaltykiller

Feb 19, 2007
province of quebec
Yeah also might be some prejudice from a French coach towards an Anglophone player.

Sherbrooke has a lot of anglophones on the team and only MacDonald seemed to have an issue with the coach.

Constable

corona fiend
Mar 17, 2014
Anybody catch some glimpses of him at the prospects game? How did he look?

In terms of the other powerforward-esque players he's competing with (Noel) he looked great. Not the best but you can see the talent.

I wouldn't pick him in the first. Not that he doesn't have the talent to go in the first round mind you, it just feels like he's a project pick with lower upside than the others and I have an affinity against drafting power forwards high.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Having a very rough year, and I don't see a much better one in the horizon ala Comtois.

Take a flyer in the 3rd and hope for him to get his game together.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
he's not like Comtois, Comtois last year just work in the other part of his game but he lost confident in is offensive game .. MacDonald don't have the work ethic of Comtois

Reactions: Lays

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Sigh. Once a very promising player that I had in my first round 9 months ago, he's dropped off big time. Comtois is a decent comparison; he's a big guy with a scoring touch, but as mentioned, he doesn't have the drive and work ethic to improve drastically like Comtois. He doesn't look like he's giving 100% or that he's trying too hard. His skating needs lots of work if he's going to think about making the NHL. He's a 3rd rounder for me right now, but I could see him drop even farther.

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
Sigh. Once a very promising player that I had in my first round 9 months ago, he's dropped off big time. Comtois is a decent comparison; he's a big guy with a scoring touch, but as mentioned, he doesn't have the drive and work ethic to improve drastically like Comtois. He doesn't look like he's giving 100% or that he's trying too hard. His skating needs lots of work if he's going to think about making the NHL. He's a 3rd rounder for me right now, but I could see him drop even farther.

I agree with this, only I don’t think he was as good as Comtois was coming into his draft season. He just hasn’t taken the next step like I expected, basically has the same stats as last year but doesn’t have the work ethic/skating to make it at this point. The same questions that followed him when he was going into the Q are the ones he has now, which I don’t think bodes overly well for his NHL outlook.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
I agree with this, only I don’t think he was as good as Comtois was coming into his draft season. He just hasn’t taken the next step like I expected, basically has the same stats as last year but doesn’t have the work ethic/skating to make it at this point. The same questions that followed him when he was going into the Q are the ones he has now, which I don’t think bodes overly well for his NHL outlook.
Oh, you're right. I didn't mean it to come off like that. Comtois was once regarded as a top 5 pick and dropped all the way to the late 2nd round because of his skating issues. MacDonald is kind of the same in a lower end type of way. I just don't think he has the work ethic to pull off the Comtois comeback.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Definitely a huge disappointment for Moncton, especially with what they gave up for him (two 1st rd picks, with one being top 5, a recent 1st rd pick player and a 2nd).

He just doesn't seem to care out there half the time, which was especially evident in the playoffs. I don't see much of a future for him as he just doesn't score enough to make up for his non existent defensive game.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
He asked for a trade from Sherbrooke because they were tough on him. They wanted him to improve his work ethic but instead he asked to leave. It's no surprise he stayed the same in Moncton.

Lots of scoring potential but no will.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
As I said in another thread, this guy is a 5'4" bloke in a 6'4" body. He has decent talent, most notably his playmaking and vision, but lacks some serious intensity - especially for a bigger guy.

Not surprised in the slightest that he was never drafted even if I would consider his talent at least worth of a 6th round pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->