LW Anderson MacDonald - Acadie-Bathurst Titan, QMJHL (2018 undrafted)

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
scored another
best performing forward in his age group in the chl i beleive ( and is on an awefull team vs otgers on stacked teams)
continues like this will make run for top 5 in 2018

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
More of a Mantha type from what I've seen, if you want to consider that a power forward in this day and age most wouldn't really dispute it, but he isn't a Lawson Crouse type if that's what you mean.
So a big and skilled guy who uses his size to his advantage to protect the puck and is fine in the corners. But won't try to put people through the wall like a Crouse, Virtanen or Kane. How would people compare him to 16 year old Comtois and Dubois?

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
So a big and skilled guy who uses his size to his advantage to protect the puck and is fine in the corners. But won't try to put people through the wall like a Crouse, Virtanen or Kane. How would people compare him to 16 year old Comtois and Dubois?

He's a much better finisher than Dubois was at that age, but he plays more of a waiting game rather than Dubois who was a workhorse in all 3 zones. Comtois and MacDonald are different players although have similar strengths and weaknesses.

I think MacDonald has even more of a goal scoring touch than Comtois and is even bigger. This has been a disappointing year for Comtois after exceeding even high expectations last year, much like MacDonald is doing this year so it's hard to compare the two knowing what I know now, but I think MacDonald has the higher ceiling than Comtois was ever perceived to in my eyes.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He's a much better finisher than Dubois was at that age, but he plays more of a waiting game rather than Dubois who was a workhorse in all 3 zones. Comtois and MacDonald are different players although have similar strengths and weaknesses.

I think MacDonald has even more of a goal scoring touch than Comtois and is even bigger. This has been a disappointing year for Comtois after exceeding even high expectations last year, much like MacDonald is doing this year so it's hard to compare the two knowing what I know now, but I think MacDonald has the higher ceiling than Comtois was ever perceived to in my eyes.
Fair enough, it is very hard to remember where you held players at certain points. I try to obviously remember how I had guys benchmarked pre-draft, but if someone asked me about a D-1 season with a guy struggling in his draft year I would have similar issues. Thanks for your response. This could be the best draft class out of the Q in awhile. Currently I can think of 4 guys who might challenge for the top 10 (MacIssac, Veleno, MacDonald and Groulx) and that is before we start thinking about imports that could come.

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
Fair enough, it is very hard to remember where you held players at certain points. I try to obviously remember how I had guys benchmarked pre-draft, but if someone asked me about a D-1 season with a guy struggling in his draft year I would have similar issues. Thanks for your response. This could be the best draft class out of the Q in awhile. Currently I can think of 4 guys who might challenge for the top 10 (MacIssac, Veleno, MacDonald and Groulx) and that is before we start thinking about imports that could come.

Yeah for what its worth a year ago I would have said no contest Groulx and even McIsaac hands down were better players but now the gap is small between them all I believe.

One player that will be interesting to watch develop is Gabriel Fortier who is the younger brother of Max Fortier. A top 5 pick in the midget draft and a member of the silver medalist Team Canada at the youth olympics along with those other 3, he had shoulder surgery and missed all season until making his debut in Halifax last week. He'z by all accounts significantly better than Max at 16 who was a late cut by the Moose and went back to dominate midget before being called up for playoffs.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
His coach is questioning his work ethic.

Benched for half a pound

Again, Anderson MacDonald was benched in the first period. Last week, the rookie also missed the first two 20 in Shawinigan, due to extra weight.

In fact, a scale awaits MacDonald at the arena before each game. If he weighs more than 201 pounds, he can not play, an agreement between the player and coach Stéphane Julien.

But Anderson MacDonald would have liked to help his team win early on Wednesday night.

"I weighed half a pound too much before the game," he said. An hour before the game, the coaches told me that if I still weighed above 201 pounds, I could not play."

Stéphane Julien assumes his decision.

"Rules are rules. We do not ask him the moon. I keep my guideline and out of respect for the other players, I want every agreement to be respected. Anderson does not make the effort. The question of weight is not what disturbs me the most. Anderson must take care of him, be more disciplined, professional and organized. I do it for him, because if he does not take hockey seriously, he will quickly realize that talent is not enough."

"Some players knew before the game and they were disappointed to learn that I was not going to play the game, MacDonald said. We want those who can play to be on the ice to help us to the series. This is not an ideal time to apply this rule. If I weighed five pounds more I would understand, but half a pound? I understand Stéphane and I do not blame him, but I'm disappointed. "

http://www.lapresse.ca/la-tribune/s...01-5079207-le-pire-scenario-se-concretise.php

Last edited:

JK2K

Mar 13, 2017
If a coach is questioning work ethic at this age, it does not bode well for this player. Word travels fast and you have to believe it goes deeper than 1/2 pound of extra beef. There are obvious issues that have compounded over the course of the year. I would bet the coach has had issues with work in practice as well as games. Hard to defend that.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
MacDonald, Veleno and Kurashev are my top 3 Q forwards for next years draft. Gab Fortier has decent potential too.

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
Won't report to Sherbrooke camp this season, requested trade, likely to a maritime team. (Halifax, CB, Charlottetown, Moncton, Bathurst)

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
Won't report to Sherbrooke camp this season, requested trade, likely to a maritime team. (Halifax, CB, Charlottetown, Moncton, Bathurst)

not going to jump to conclusions but what is going on ?
17 yr old dictating ?!! why for better positioning for the draft ??
what a joke

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
not going to jump to conclusions but what is going on ?
17 yr old dictating ?!! why for better positioning for the draft ??
what a joke

Maybe he wasn't a fan of having to weigh in before games, and having to sit if he weighed more than 201.

I'm sure Doughty wouldn't have been keen to stay in Guelph had that been the case for him.

Last edited:

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
I don't blame him at all for wanting out if the coach weighs him before every game. If he was 240+ I'd get it but 200 for a kid his height? That's a damn joke

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->