LW Alexander Polunin - Lokomotiv Yaroslavl, KHL (2015 undrafted)

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
I was trying to look back on this guy's prospect thread to see if anyone would have ever predicted he'd end up as good as he is, and to my surprise, no thread existed.

Most people here first became aware of Polunin at the 2016 u20s where he was feisty and super talented despite being undersized. He's now in his second KHL season and his second u20, where he's playing on the top line for Russia and is just outside the top 10 in tournament scoring.

I'm really surprised that nobody used a late round pick on him last year after seeing his performance in the u20s. I imagine that some team will draft him this year, if only to hold his rights if he pulls a Panarin.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I actually don't like what I see in him at this tournament. Yeah, he's very skilled. Skating, shooting, hands are very good to great. He can forecheck as well. But he always hold on the puck for too long, and when he makes a pass, it ussually goes to opponents.

Look at his goals, he doesn't score them after impressive combinations, they all come after his individual efforts. While Kaprizov and Vorobyov do all the proper work. Not sure how this will transite to the NHL. To me he's more like Yakupov, than Panarin so far.

tohaa

Apr 23, 2012
Skilled, stupid, lazy. More painful to watch than Bobby Ryan, at a junior level. Kid is going nowhere but the KHL.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Skilled, stupid, lazy. More painful to watch than Bobby Ryan, at a junior level. Kid is going nowhere but the KHL.

I will certainly disagree about the lazy part, kid works hard along the boards, forechecks and overall plays bigger than his size. Decision making is not always on the highest level, yes.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Aaah, this thread takes me back to the days when Polunin-Kraskovsky-Korshkov line was all the rage in 16/17. It took them 4 years to have another decent season.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Aaah, this thread takes me back to the days when Polunin-Kraskovsky-Korshkov line was all the rage in 16/17. It took them 4 years to have another decent season.

I hope Loko won't get him back at the deadline. :)

Is that the former Ranger Alexei Bereglazov?

Bereglazov (#5) was behind Polunin at that play, the defenseman that was sliding there is Oliwer Kaski.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
I hope Loko won't get him back at the deadline. :)

Bereglazov (#5) was behind Polunin at that play, the defenseman that was sliding there is Oliwer Kaski.

Yes. I meant the defenseman he beat to get the puck in center ice. Saw Kaski sliding too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad