LW Alexander Holtz - (2020, 7th, NJD)

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I feel like Raymond battles extremely well for pucks, be it on the forecheck or in the defensive zone. From what I've seen Raymond is actually better in that category than Holtz, and he's a better defensive player as well.

For the record: I think both are talented enough to be top-5 picks but I personally would pick Holtz over Raymond because I think he's the more mature and more complete player. From my own observations, I got a better feeling about Holtz. The way he communicates, the way he responds to feedback on the bench. Those things matter to me, and I think to scouts as well

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
For the record: I think both are talented enough to be top-5 picks but I personally would pick Holtz over Raymond because I think he's the more mature and more complete player. From my own observations, I got a better feeling about Holtz. The way he communicates, the way he responds to feedback on the bench. Those things matter to me, and I think to scouts as well

I have to say I haven't paid any attention to the way they respond to feedback/communicate with teammates. Although I do think that Raymond is the smarter and more complete player.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I have to say I haven't paid any attention to the way they respond to feedback/communicate with teammates. Although I do think that Raymond is the smarter and more complete player.

I will say this: Raymond is the more crative player, the flashier one. He's the kid fans are excited to see. And he probably has the highest ceiling but not necessarily the high probability of reaching that ceiling. It's like Laine vs Aho in some ways in terms of how they are perceived by fans. It's hard to overlook the flashes of brilliance that Raymond shows, but in my opinion, Holtz has an easier route to the NHL because of the style of hockey he plays

Plekatorz

Jun 6, 2019
Sorry it’s french but the videos are interesting for people who wants to see him play

mobility

Offensive

Defensive

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
I will say this: Raymond is the more crative player, the flashier one. He's the kid fans are excited to see. And he probably has the highest ceiling but not necessarily the high probability of reaching that ceiling. It's like Laine vs Aho in some ways in terms of how they are perceived by fans. It's hard to overlook the flashes of brilliance that Raymond shows, but in my opinion, Holtz has an easier route to the NHL because of the style of hockey he plays

Do you think Holtz gets to NHL quicker? I have always believed Raymond to be a year ahead of Holtz. Raymond arrives 2021, Holtz in 2022.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Holtz is bigger and stronger, isn't he? That's part of the recipe for success in going to the NHL early.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Do you think Holtz gets to NHL quicker? I have always believed Raymond to be a year ahead of Holtz. Raymond arrives 2021, Holtz in 2022.

I feel Raymond will have early success but Holtz will have the more sustained success and longer career in the NHL. I may be wrong of course. It's all just opinions based on personal observations.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I know Holtz said he needed to work on his first three steps in skating from a stop. Anyone who's watched the preseason games, have you seen him improve this aspect of his skating?

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
I know Holtz said he needed to work on his first three steps in skating from a stop. Anyone who's watched the preseason games, have you seen him improve this aspect of his skating?

I've heard lots of people say they've seen an improvement but I don't feel it's gotten better. You can notice progress but not improvement yet imo.

It's only been like 5 months though that he's had to work, it'll probably be better to judge it further in a year.

BxDevilsFan

Aug 15, 2020
Bronx
Holtz I believe will be a very good player IMO. He's going to be a consistent 30-35 goal scorer. I was high on him after the WJC for the Devils but I think they end up drafting Marco Rossi at 7

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
I take Aho over Laine 10 of 10 times

I think holtz will be a similar player to Boeser, rather take a risk on a higher impact player like Raymond who's ceiling maybe someone like marner

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

I think holtz will be a similar player to Boeser, rather take a risk on a higher impact player like Raymond who's ceiling maybe someone like marner

Pretty much this for me as well but time will tell as prospects are still developing.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

I don't know if Lucas Raymond's ceiling is as high as an 80-90 point winger. I think he'll be a very good player but I think that Holtz will have the more successful NHL career and an easier transition. Both I'd guess end up as 65-70ish point guys but Holtz ends up more impactful.

Reactions: xigon

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Anyone who watches him, I see these recent highlights and notice it takes him a while to shoot the puck. I know he has time there but is he also able to get the puck off quickly when he doesn’t have the time?

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Anyone who watches him, I see these recent highlights and notice it takes him a while to shoot the puck. I know he has time there but is he also able to get the puck off quickly when he doesn’t have the time?

This is actually one of his weaknesses in my opinion. He's labelled as a great shooter, which to an extent he is, but he's not really quick at getting his shot off. And he's not great at getting shots off at high speed either. When he's static like that his shot is elite but in other situations he's not as dangerous. He'll always be dangerous on the man advantage but my question is how many goals he can score at 5v5 in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad