LW Ahti Oksanen - Boston University, NCAA (2011 undrafted)

mislysBB

Aug 6, 2013
Northeast
Here's the sticky thread, albeit there haven't been a ton of updates since the last round of free agent signings in April: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1004723&page=24

I posted this in that thread, but Ahti Oksanen was getting some attention last year playing defense for BU. They've since switched him to LW where he's been playing with Jack Eichel. Haven't gotten to see him outside of highlights; Oksanen got hurt early in the game against BC which was on NBCSN a couple weeks ago. Might be interesting to see which position NHL teams will project him as.

Ahti first started out as a forward in Finland, and then he switched over to D not too long after, which I think hurt his chances of being drafted. He's pretty used to the North American game now, and he surprisingly is a decent forward; obviously playing alongside Eichel is benefitting him a lot, but he is definitely more of a finisher than a playmaker. Solid net presence, and is really, really, good on the PP. If I had to compare, he is sort of like a Brent Burns type.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Yep, ever since Eichel came aboard to BU, Ahti hasn't played on D at all this season.

I actually looked him up and noticed Ahti's doing pretty well this year, based on his season stats. How has the swap from D to F changed his game overall? Is the sudden production growth a result of Eichel, or has he just improved that much?

mislysBB

Aug 6, 2013
Northeast
I actually looked him up and noticed Ahti's doing pretty well this year, based on his season stats. How has the swap from D to F changed his game overall? Is the sudden production growth a result of Eichel, or has he just improved that much?

Playing with Eichel has obviously helped his stats, but I think his all-around game is much better this year, aside from Eichel helping him rack up points. I think one of the reasons why Ahti played D last year (and the year prior) is because BU's blueline was heavily depleted, and at the time Garrett Noonan would be playing 30 some minutes a night, Gryzelck was out for most of the year, and we really weren't recruiting very well.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Playing with Eichel has obviously helped his stats, but I think his all-around game is much better this year, aside from Eichel helping him rack up points. I think one of the reasons why Ahti played D last year (and the year prior) is because BU's blueline was heavily depleted, and at the time Garrett Noonan would be playing 30 some minutes a night, Gryzelck was out for most of the year, and we really weren't recruiting very well.

Do you see Ahti having any potential to become a professional hockey player? Could he make the jump and play in the AHL, for example?

mislysBB

Aug 6, 2013
Northeast
Do you see Ahti having any potential to become a professional hockey player? Could he make the jump and play in the AHL, for example?

He very well could; I know many college hockey players are hit and miss, but Ahti does have a decent hockey IQ. Honestly, I think he would do well even without Eichel playing on his line. Only thing about Ahti though, is that he could really fill out some more; he's 6'3, 208, but yet he still looks like he could put on weight.
Obviously I'm not a hockey scout, but since I go to almost every BU game I see him play a lot, and I think if he does sign with an NHL team starting off in the AHL would do him a lot of good.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
He very well could; I know many college hockey players are hit and miss, but Ahti does have a decent hockey IQ. Honestly, I think he would do well even without Eichel playing on his line. Only thing about Ahti though, is that he could really fill out some more; he's 6'3, 208, but yet he still looks like he could put on weight.
Obviously I'm not a hockey scout, but since I go to almost every BU game I see him play a lot, and I think if he does sign with an NHL team starting off in the AHL would do him a lot of good.

Nice, thank you so much for the scouting report! :cheers:

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Anybody watched him this year? Just a product of Eichel or could he actually be a top9 forward at NHL level?

25 games 18+7=25 +17

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Anybody watched him this year? Just a product of Eichel or could he actually be a top9 forward at NHL level?

25 games 18+7=25 +17

How come they switched him to forward?
Quinn moved Oksanen to forward to start the year and he enjoyed early success playing alongside Eichel and O'Regan, but was later moved to the second line where he currently plays with Baillargeon and Hohmann. Quinn had spoken to Oksanen about the switch after last season and simply thought he's better suited for the pro game as a winger... or if you want Quinn's own words (from the opener's recap):

“[Ahti] and I spoke at length about [converting to wing] beginning last spring,†said Quinn. “He had been here for two years and played a lot of hockey. Obviously, he’s a very skilled and talented defenseman. I just thought with his skill set he’d be a better winger. He obviously has a desire to play in the National Hockey League, as do most Division I players. He and I talked about it and I said, ‘It’s been two years since you’ve been here and you haven’t been drafted. With your skill set you’ll be a better winger.â

canucksfan100

Apr 3, 2007
19 goals in 30 games, big and can play both defense and forward.. how many more years of College does he have left before hes an UFA?

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
19 goals in 30 games, big and can play both defense and forward.. how many more years of College does he have left before hes an UFA?

He could leave after this season (could have left after last year as well), but can return next year for his senior year. Either way, he'll be eligible to sign a 2 year ELC.

zinedine

Sep 2, 2010
I thought Ahti Oskanen was pretty highly regarded. I noticed he has 22 goals in 32 games. Anyone think he will get a contract?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I thought Ahti Oskanen was pretty highly regarded. I noticed he has 22 goals in 32 games. Anyone think he will get a contract?

for sure unless he wants to return for his Senior year.

I hope the Habs are keeping an eye on SCSU's Joey Benik, he's undersized but racked up the goals in the Minnesota USHS (though not in the toughest division) tied for the team lead in points this year.

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
If BU goes all the way to win it all in NCAA this season, when would their season be over? So when would in that case be the earliest Oksanen would sign with some NHL-team?

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
If BU goes all the way to win it all in NCAA this season, when would their season be over? So when would in that case be the earliest Oksanen would sign with some NHL-team?
Technically he could sign right now, but he would lose his college eligibility. Championship game is on April 11th, also the last day for NHL regular season games.

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
Technically he could sign right now, but he would lose his college eligibility. Championship game is on April 11th, also the last day for NHL regular season games.

Yeah, I knew that. That's why I said would sign instead of could sign :)

Thanks for the date on the championship game.

canucksfan100

Apr 3, 2007
Benning should just go after this kid, upgrade over Stewart prospect wise and can play both forward and defense. Him, Michael Kapla and Trevor Moore are my top 3 College Players not affiliated with any NHL team

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad