Proposal: LVK and Leafs

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
I'm assuming LVK takes Petrovic from FLA. Leivo or Leipisic from TML.

What are the Knights looking for in exchange?

I'm wondering if a deal around Bracco + Timashov +4th/5th round pick makes sense. Everything I've read so far has LVK light on young offensive potential.

Bracco had a pretty good year in Junior, and Timashov showed some pretty decently playing 3W in his first AHL year.

Point of the trade is for LVK to get a good variety of talent, and Leafs to get a big RHD who starts the season on the third pair with Borgman/ Hunwick and hopefully replaces Carrick on the second pair by years end.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Seems fair, but I'd imagine it'll be hard to pry whoever we take from Florida away. Gallant should have a pretty extensive knowledge of said player so we'll know exactly what we're getting with our pick.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
I guess that makes sense. Well if their is a comparable RHD that LVK gets, that would be my offer. Preferably someone with a bit more grit.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
If LVK is open to moving Petrovic for something reasonable, there will definitely be interest on the Leafs end. My hope is LVK is forced to stockpile quality D-men through the ED and swing them cheap as assets to shore up their offense. Hopefully the Leafs can capitalize on this if that's the case.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
is Petrovic a legitimate top 4 option that solidifies the Leafs D? Admittedly I don't watch a ton of FLA but it seems like he's more of a #4/5 that could supplement an already good core. Doesn't seem like Petrovic is the answer, and the Leafs are flush with bottom pairing options/prospects who might compete for a bottom pairing spot. I think what we really need is a #2/3 type that can face the toughest competition over long periods and handle it

personally I'd give up more to get the right guy, and keep the Bracco/Timashov lottery tickets

Last edited:

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
If LVK is open to moving Petrovic for something reasonable, there will definitely be interest on the Leafs end. My hope is LVK is forced to stockpile quality D-men through the ED and swing them cheap as assets to shore up their offense. Hopefully the Leafs can capitalize on this if that's the case.

They may be willing to swing d men, but it certainly won't be cheap. Vegas needs to keep a good d core, and several teams will be looking for replacements for the d men they are losing. Vegas will hold most of the cards here (pun not intended)' so getting anything from them 'cheap' is unlikely.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
is Petrovic a legitimate top 4 option that solidifies the Leafs D? Admittedly I don't watch a ton of FLA but it seems like he's more of a #4/5 that could supplement an already good core. Doesn't seem like Petrovic is the answer, and the Leafs are flush with bottom pairing options/prospects who might compete for a bottom pairing spot. I think what we really need is a #2/3 type that can face the toughest competition over long periods and handle it

personally I'd give up more to get the right guy, and keep the Bracco/Timashov lottery tickets

Im a Leaf fan, but from what ive seen Petrovic is a 25 y.o. RHD, who plays to every inch and piund of his 6'4 200+frame. I think he can end up being a 20-25 point guy, I watched him a fair bit in Junior when he palyed with RNH and Dumba.

IMO he is a quicker, bigger, younger Polak. I would put him as a #4/5 right now with a chance of becoming a #3/4, but with very little risk.

He can pull off a good quick 1st pass, but lacks the high-end O you normally see in top 4 guys.

I see him starting the year on the bottom pair with Borgman, and testing him out with Gardiner on the second pair if he plays well.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Im a Leaf fan, but from what ive seen Petrovic is a 25 y.o. RHD, who plays to every inch and piund of his 6'4 200+frame. I think he can end up being a 20-25 point guy, I watched him a fair bit in Junior when he palyed with RNH and Dumba.

IMO he is a quicker, bigger, younger Polak. I would put him as a #4/5 right now with a chance of becoming a #3/4, but with very little risk.

He can pull off a good quick 1st pass, but lacks the high-end O you normally see in top 4 guys.

I see him starting the year on the bottom pair with Borgman, and testing him out with Gardiner on the second pair if he plays well.

I don't see that as being the answer that we need honestly, like if his absolute ceiling is something like a poor man's Manson/Tanev and he hit it that would be great, but there's a considerable risk that he doesn't. I think our D corps is respectable if you add one of those guys, but a player who's upside is a lesser one of those guys still leaves us vulnerable on the back end

I think we need the bottom pairing spots to let some of our prospects play in the next 2 years, Dermott/Neilsen could be really good players so I wouldn't want them blocked during the time that we don't absolutely have to be contenders. I think that lands us in a spot that our hands are tied on getting them into the lineup when we have to be pushing to contend - there's reluctance to tinker when the pressure to compete is on, where I think there's still some leash in the next 2 years

plus, I think Carrick is very much what you're describing less the size. We probably asked too much of him last year, but he looked very good when he was sheltered and he's only 23 so I think the bottom pair RHD spot is spoken for at this point

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I think Petrovic is pretty overrated, he's firmly a 3rd pairing RHD guy.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Leafs will aim higher first but petrovic would be a great fallback option.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Seems fair, but I'd imagine it'll be hard to pry whoever we take from Florida away. Gallant should have a pretty extensive knowledge of said player so we'll know exactly what we're getting with our pick.

This seems very reasonable.

They probably won't be moving whoever they pick from Florida or Washington.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Some teams expose little quality in the expansion draft and still these teams want to benefit from the draft that Vegas trades players to them LOL
I would rather trade good players to teams who didn't fool us in the draft. Other teams have to pay a premium. Can't expose little and then get benefits.

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
I can see the Leafs trying to construct a trade like they did with NYI for Grabner. They dealt 5 prospects for 1 player something along those lines

Vegas will not have any prospects besides the 2017 draft picks and they will probably be maybe 1 or 2 that will be eligible for the AHL. So I think the Leafs with a full roster of prospects with the Marlies can afford to deal 3 or 4 guys to Vegas in return for a good D Vegas picks in the ED someone like Brodin or something like that.

Vegas will not be able to put any of these picks in the AHL so they will need to fill at least half an AHL team.

There are a few prospects that are blocked in Toronto and can be moved.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
I can see the Leafs trying to construct a trade like they did with NYI for Grabner. They dealt 5 prospects for 1 player something along those lines

Vegas will not have any prospects besides the 2017 draft picks and they will probably be maybe 1 or 2 that will be eligible for the AHL. So I think the Leafs with a full roster of prospects with the Marlies can afford to deal 3 or 4 guys to Vegas in return for a good D Vegas picks in the ED someone like Brodin or something like that.

Vegas will not be able to put any of these picks in the AHL so they will need to fill at least half an AHL team.

There are a few prospects that are blocked in Toronto and can be moved.

My God, Grabner was considered a bad contract, he made 5M in his last year.
If TOR thinks quantity is great to have we definitely should do trades.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin

Las Vegas and St. Louis are sharing affiliations with the Chicago Wolves this year, so most of the prospects will be from the Blues and the rest will be from the Golden Knights. It's not an issue where they would have to take pennies on the dollar so they can fill out their AHL team, which is a ridiculous premise to begin with.

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
Honestly do the panthers even protect demers? (Unless he has some nmc I'm not aware of.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad