Lustrom and Decade awards? Would this be a cool idea for NHL?

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Would Awards being Geiger out every 5 to 10 seasons be a good idea for the NHL?

Here’s my idea...

Most Valuable player in 10 year term:

Howe Award

Most valuable Forward in a 5 year time term(so its more of a long term award, including playoff games and success).

Gretzky Award

Most Valuable Defenceman in 5 year term:

Orr Award

Mqost Valuable player in an American Market over a 5 year term(Must play for American franchise entire 5 Years):

Roenick Award

Most valuable player in a Canadian market over five year term(Must play for Canadian franshise entire 5 Years):

Béliveau Award

Most valuable European Player over 5 year term:

Jagr Award

Most Valuable Goaltender over 5 year term:

Hasek Award

Last edited:

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
"Roenick Award

Most valuable player in a Canadian market over five year term(Must play for Canadian franshise entire 5 Years)"

Most people put the title on top to avoid confusion.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
I like the idea of decade awards as long as it is not based on votes by silly journalists or something.

I’d like a commitee of ex-players, ex-coaches and statisticians designing a ”scoring” system for every year so that production and success late in the decade won’t decide the award because of ”top of mind”.
Would be nice if they published the decade standings after every season.

Weztex

Feb 6, 2006
One problem would be that careers don’t have the same starting point. You give 10 years MVPs in 1986 and 1996, Gretzky and Lemieux gets them. You award them in 1993 and 2003, Gretzky and Hasek gets them. So, in the long term, that arbitrary cut off splitting careers in half would give a pretty misleading picture of who the best players in history were.

Edit: Same thing if a player spend 8 years with an american team but the awards are given in his 4th. A lot of worthy players would be deemed ineligible.

Last edited:

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
Not bad but I would add the Marchment Award for most cheap shots thrown in the decade

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad