Value of: Lupul + Rychel/Leivo

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Leafs would be looking to dump the final year of Lupul on LTIR all year to your team, and would be giving you Rychel or Leivo as a sweetener.

What value does that hold? Negative (we have to add)? Future considerations? 7th rounder? 5th rounder? 3rd rounder? Which teams would be able, and which would be interested?

We could also take an under-$2M defenseman contract dump, preferably LHD, but then we would be asking for substantially more value.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
why are we dumping lupul when we can just put him on the LTIR?

Am I missing something?

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area

Am I missing something?

From what I understand...

We can put him on LTIR after the season has already begun (around game 2 I believe), but we have to get cap compliant before game 1. Same deal for Nathan Horton. We can maneuver around one of those contracts, but not both anymore.

LTIR rules are complicated.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007

Am I missing something?

There's still benefit to moving him, especially on a team laden with ELC players who will likely hit some of their performance bonuses.

To illustrate, let's say the Leafs ELC players hit 5M in bonuses.

If they have to put Lupul on LTIR, that means they will have 0 cap space remaining and will have a 5M cap charge next year for the bonuses.

Moving Lupul means you can start banking some cap space to absorb some of the bonus money this year rather than having it all hit you next year.

I think it's actually one of the more practical scenarios we've seen where moving a player destined for LTIR could make sense given the Leafs will certainly have bonus money to absorb.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $2,300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $685.00