Proposal: Lupul + Gardiner for Pavelski + Demers

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
I have to ask, for what purpose would we acquire Joffrey Lupul?

That's not even a slam on the guy, but what problem in our lineup does he solve? He's a good point producer but it's not like we're hurting for those at the moment.

Pavelski plays in every phase of the game. Dealing him away for a winger opens up a really unnecessary hole.

Leidi J

Jan 28, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
Blashphemy.

As far as the deal is concerend, I'll reluctantly say yes. I'm a huge Pavelski fan, and feel that adding his two-way element will really improve us.

I'd actually cream my pants seeing a potential Team USA line of JVR - Pavs - Kessel on my Leafs.

Gardiner oozes potential and is a surefire future top 4 D-man capable of QB'ing a PP. Lupul has been rejuvenated in Toronto and is one of our most important players. His defensive play is way overblown. Toronto is a pretty nitpicking city when it comes to players. Trust me, we'll notice when someone is horrible at D.

Really. And that's why the leafs seem so eager to trade him. Gimme a break. There is no such thing as a sure-fire anything unless you can see into the future. Either he is right now, or he isn't. You may think he could become that, that's your opinion. I personally see him as more of a #3/4 2nd pairing guy and that's just not enough. Both of us, as well as countless others, have our opinions based on our own observations. However, we know what Pavs is right now and he's worth a hell of a lot more than anything the Leafs could potentially offer.

Last edited:

AliBaba

Jan 16, 2013
Bay Area
Pavs IS the sharks. Just like getzlaf is the ducks and weber is the preds. I think trading pavelski would take the wind out of the sharks sails

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
It's nothing against the Leafs players in question, but if the Sharks were to deal Pavelski, something would have to be drastically wrong with the team. Like 20 game skid wrong. Pavelski is an awkward player – not a 1st round pedigree. But he just kills it every time he's on the ice. His worst game this season at even strength, he scores 2 goals and 2 assists. How do you deal that?

dwood16

Sep 28, 2009
L.A.
spencerjacob.bandcamp.com
Let's see.....
The Sharks are undefeated and seem like the team to beat at the moment.
They have good depth for the first time in a while.
That includes a mix of veteran, prime and youthful talented players.
They are scoring well, playing excellent defense and should steadily improve based on the inexperience of some of their roster.
They seem to have a great locker room ...maybe the best they've had in the last decade.

........So let's make a trade? :shakehead

Leidi J

Jan 28, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
Nope, check the main board.

Why do Leaf fans think Lupul > Pavs?

No idea. Normally I would go in there and whip out all the numbers/metrics/stats that show them how wrong they are but I'm super sick right now and just don't have the energy to argue with them.

Maybe someone else feels like doing it... Jux? LOL

Last edited by a moderator:

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
God no. Lupul is the worst defensive forward in the league in my opinion. I would love to acquire Gardiner for Demers + or something but there is no way in hell I move Pavs.

Ya, that's more like what I have in mind.

Lupul is no worse than 3rd best winger the Leafs have, after Kessel, certainly, and Van Riemsdyck, possibly. I like him a lot more than most on here. Pavelski is just too important to our offensive balance to trade, however. The 3rd line regresses to mediocre, at best, without him, even with Torres in the lineup. I'll bet DW gets many offers for Pavs. The OP's offer isn't terrible value, frankly, but the Leafs would have to add.

If the Sharks decide that Demers will never by a PP QB on the #1 unit, and are fearful of Boyle leaving for more than they're willing to pay, someone like Gardiner would be an excellent target. He's still finding his game, but just turned 23 this summer. He was amazing at times in the playoffs against the Bruins last year. If Rielly pans out, the Leafs would probably be eager to trade him.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
No idea. Normally I would go in there and whip out all the numbers/metrics/stats that show them how wrong they are but I'm super sick right now and just don't have the energy to argue with them.

Maybe someone else feels like doing it... Jux? LOL

I started to yesterday, but I am also sick and just don't care to argue with Leaf's fans right now, plus I've learned its just pointless with them. For the most part in this case they are being pretty reasonable though. Bunch of "Ya I guess it doesn't makes sense" etc.

I suspect the only trading the Sharks will do this year is to possibly clear salary and dump one of Sheppard, Burish or Brown (if he doesn't work out). At the deadline I could see Wilson going all in and picking up an offensive d-man, if none of our players maintain a big scoring rate or Boyle has lasting issues. Who that would be is a good question though, not really any Free Agents next year worth mentioning.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
It's nothing against the Leafs players in question, but if the Sharks were to deal Pavelski, something would have to be drastically wrong with the team. Like 20 game skid wrong. Pavelski is an awkward player – not a 1st round pedigree. But he just kills it every time he's on the ice. His worst game this season at even strength, he scores 2 goals and 2 assists. How do you deal that?

Pavelski is a great player with a winning pedigree..**** draft pedigrees. Hes a gamer and does what it takes to win and produces at a high level. He has been the best Shark this year...which is saying something.

West Coast Bias*

Really. And that's why the leafs seem so eager to trade him. Gimme a break.

The Leafs have been eager to move lots of good players. When Randy Carlyle is pulling the front office strings, all logic gets thrown out.

Sleepy

rEf jOsE
Apr 7, 2009
It's usually easier to nab players that aren't super hot right now. Proposals for Havlat or Burish would be welcome, but trying to nab Pavs right now would be a tough sell to the org.

West Coast Bias*

Signing David Clarkson for 7 years is a head scratcher. Thats on Nonis.

I'm sure that Clarkson is someone Carlyle told Nonis to go after, so there's blood on his hands here too. He plays a prototypical Carlyle-style game.

crunchyblack*

Man that thread on the trade board is infuriating. I dont even care about being civil when people are posting fantasy stats 9 games into the season to justify lupul > pavs. Arrggghhh.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Man that thread on the trade board is infuriating. I dont even care about being civil when people are posting fantasy stats 9 games into the season to justify lupul > pavs. Arrggghhh.

if that was the case, I bet we could get Giroux on the cheap :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad