TSN: Luongo's Future to be known this week

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
A goalie of his caliber shouldn’t go out as a backup. Just retire. Last season was a bad enough note to end on. Being a washed up HOFer playing 15-20 games is sad. Giguere went that route and it was hard to watch.

Who are you to tell him what he should or shouldn't do? What he really should do is whatever is best for him and his family. And there is no way any of us fans can possibly pretend to know what that is. Maybe, just maybe, Luongo is the one best qualified to make decisions about his own career and his own life.

I hate when fans think they can dictate players lives, as if the players are requited to give us the best storylines. "He should take a pay-cut to stay with the team" "He should retire a Leaf" "He should sign an offer sheet".

Instead of saying what you think someone "should or shouldn't" do, just say what you "hope" they do, or maybe what you would do in their shoes.

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
there was a few cap circumvating contracts signed for guys like hossa and louongo and a few others... we all know these guys would never play the final years and it was pure cheating from moment 1 the contracts were signed

its such a joke that the league doesnt have a special decesion made now and go in and punish the teams that knowingly cheated to sign these deals in the first place

How was it cheating when it wasn’t against the rules?

Get over it.

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
Thinking they different shows just how naive you are.
Both played 82 games the year before their real salaries dropped and they both suddenly couldn't play anymore.
Luongo's salary is half of last year's so he will be LTIRetired now too.

You obviously didn’t pay much attention to Z’s career or you’d understand how their situations aren’t similar in the slightest, his major back issues were a problem for years

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
there was a few cap circumvating contracts signed for guys like hossa and louongo and a few others... we all know these guys would never play the final years and it was pure cheating from moment 1 the contracts were signed

its such a joke that the league doesnt have a special decesion made now and go in and punish the teams that knowingly cheated to sign these deals in the first place

Recapture penalties are a thing...

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Who are you to tell him what he should or shouldn't do? What he really should do is whatever is best for him and his family. And there is no way any of us fans can possibly pretend to know what that is. Maybe, just maybe, Luongo is the one best qualified to make decisions about his own career and his own life.
I hate when fans think they can dictate players lives, as if the players are requited to give us the best storylines. "He should take a pay-cut to stay with the team" "He should retire a Leaf" "He should sign an offer sheet".
Instead of saying what you think someone "should or shouldn't" do, just say what you "hope" they do, or maybe what you would do in their shoes.
Who are you to tell posters what they should and shouldn't do?
You obviously didn’t pay much attention to Z’s career or you’d understand how their situations aren’t similar in the slightest, his major back issues were a problem for years
And you didn't pay much attention to Luongo's career if you think his hips and groins haven't been a problem for years.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
How was it cheating when it wasn’t against the rules?

Get over it.

and sheep just continue to eat their grass and go to the bathroom... content with all in the world... how sweet it would be if the rest of us could eat the grass too... but it still wouldnt do anything to stop the cheaters from cheating.

some of us have to put our foot down

by the way when they filled the world with lead paint and abseston and market cigerettes to children it was never against the rules either. you cant just get over everything by eating the grass and going to the bathroom

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI

And you didn't pay much attention to Luongo's career if you think his hips and groins haven't been a problem for years.
Lol he never said Lou wasn't injured. He's clearly talking about hossa.

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
You obviously don't pay attention in that he admitted in a Swedish newspaper that the contract he signed was deliberately structured to bring down the AAV by adding on years he never intended to play to circumvent the cap.
The fact he ended up having back issues (although, as I said, he did manage to play EVERY game the year before) doesn't change the fact that he was aware that it was a "cheater" contract.

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI

I never said anything about Lou and his injuries. I was responding to the poster saying that Hossa and Zetterberg both share the same situation...and they don’t.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
It was against the rules.
actually it wasn't

they retroactively made bylaws to say that contract is now illegal to hand out moving forward and will impose penalties on the existing deal if they opt out of the backdiving years (retirement or termination)

Kovalchuks is the only contract that was deemed illegal once that rule was made and attempted to still hand out that kind of deal

Reactions: Esq

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
and sheep just continue to eat their grass and go to the bathroom... content with all in the world... how sweet it would be if the rest of us could eat the grass too... but it still wouldnt do anything to stop the cheaters from cheating.

some of us have to put our foot down

by the way when they filled the world with lead paint and abseston and market cigerettes to children it was never against the rules either. you cant just get over everything by eating the grass and going to the bathroom

Then file your lawsuit and terminate the contracts, I guess.

Meanwhile, the rules already changed and these contracts that bother you so much are nearly extinct.

Takeya

Jun 21, 2018
If luongo is gone I expect them to go all in on brobrovski with luongos money.

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
actually it wasn't

they retroactively made bylaws to say that contract is now illegal to hand out moving forward and will impose penalties on the existing deal if they opt out of the backdiving years (retirement or termination)

Kovalchuks is the only contract that was deemed illegal once that rule was made and attempted to still hand out that kind of deal

Actually it was.
There was verbiage in the collective agreement that stated that if the League felt that the there was cap circumvention occurring they could impose penalties to resolve it which they did.

As Brian Burke, a lawyer, said it best:
"Except that there is one guideline: When critics say that prior to the Kovalchuk arbitration there were no guidelines, there is a guideline that you can't have unregistered agreements. You can't have side agreements under our collective bargaining agreement. And if there is an understanding that a player is going to retire after a certain number of years, that clearly violates the CBA. So people can say all they want 'well there were no guidelines before' -- well there is one guideline: If you know the player is going to retire before that contract reaches its full term, then that's a violation of the collective bargaining agreement"

I would be willing to admit that maybe I am wrong on the subject as soon as I see even one of these "cheater" contracts play out with the player in the lineup to start his last year.
I feel confident that that will never happen.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Then file your lawsuit and terminate the contracts, I guess.

Meanwhile, the rules already changed and these contracts that bother you so much are nearly extinct.

as the deals were signed they lied and said they would all be honored

and now... none are honored... ok, so we gave them the benefit of the doubt and didnt bring the heavy hand of god down before while they continued to lie. now the proof is there. time to punish everyone

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
as the deals were signed they lied and said they would all be honored

and now... none are honored... ok, so we gave them the benefit of the doubt and didnt bring the heavy hand of god down before while they continued to lie. now the proof is there. time to punish everyone

I don't remember anyone promising that.

I could be wrong about that, of course. My kids remind me that I'm wrong all the time.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I don't remember anyone promising that.

I could be wrong about that, of course. My kids remind me that I'm wrong all the time.

I guess its like when you tell your new gf you wont look at other women. its possible you actually mean it when you say it. then that stunning goddess walks by and your head turns on a pivot and you run your car into the light pole

somethings in life we say... and everyone knows the second we say it, that we are full of crap.

if your gf gets upset you put 2000 damage in your car she has a right to punish you now... and if all these teams are waving their magic wands to make these huge cap hits go away on ltir, the rest of the hockey world has a right to punish too

maybe most guys dont promise to never look at a girl ever again... but theres an implied promise you wont crash your car into the lightpost just because that other chic was walking down the sidewalk.

its all about degree... how bad the cheat is... and cap circumvention where guys with multiple years at 1 mill suddenly cant play stinks like rot. you cant let this happen or your league and your cap are a joke

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
I guess its like when you tell your new gf you wont look at other women. its possible you actually mean it when you say it. then that stunning goddess walks by and your head turns on a pivot and you run your car into the light pole

somethings in life we say... and everyone knows the second we say it, that we are full of crap.

if your gf gets upset you put 2000 damage in your car she has a right to punish you now... and if all these teams are waving their magic wands to make these huge cap hits go away on ltir, the rest of the hockey world has a right to punish too

maybe most guys dont promise to never look at a girl ever again... but theres an implied promise you wont crash your car into the lightpost just because that other chic was walking down the sidewalk.

its all about degree... how bad the cheat is... and cap circumvention where guys with multiple years at 1 mill suddenly cant play stinks like rot. you cant let this happen or your league and your cap are a joke

Hossa was not cap circumvention. That should be clear to anyone following his condition or the Hawks.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It is genuinely amazing to me that people are crying about LTIRetirement because a goalie who has had multiple hip surgeries may not be able to play anymore due to bad hips. Pretty much every goalie has knee and/or hip problems by the end of their careers, to complain about a goalie potentially being LTIRed because of hip issues after he has had well documented knee and hip problems is just pure idiocy.

Even if you want to say that Hossa retiring was cap circumvention or something, to accuse Luongo here of that is just asinine. Not every damn player that has to stop playing due to injuries is faking it because he's not getting enough money.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad