News Article: Luongo Thought He Would Be A Leaf

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Interesting interpretation. I read it as more that he figured he would be a Leaf, because they seemed to be the only ones interested in making a deal for him. And if he wanted out of Vancouver, then his only option might be Toronto. I don't think it disproves that if he had a choice he might not choose Toronto.

It isn't an 'interesting interpretation'.

There was all kinds of talk on here (and elsewhere) claiming that he wouldn't accept a deal to Toronto. The fact that he is now saying he fully expected to be a Leaf disproves those claims.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
It was well reported that it was Scrivens and both our second picks that Gilis wanted, and Nonis was asking him to retain some salary, which he flat out refused. This was the offer on the trade deadline, the one which they were talking about in the final seconds of it.

True, but prior to that Gillis was making some stupid demands and apparently kept raising his price.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Funny thing is 90% of Canuck fans didn't think those offers were enough to acquire Luongo. Emphatically #2 and #3 were somewhere between "making them worse" and "insulting".

Bozak was redundant #3 center since they had Manny.
Kadri never would have survived playing for AV, playing too poor defensively and they had a comparable piece in their system.
A 2nd was a 2nd.
Even Gardiner wasn't enough to crack their D.

Price for Lu to Canuck fans included more valuable pieces off the Leafs (I.e. Kessel) and that's taking into account the "slight" negative effect of his contract. To think Schneider's price in their eyes was even higher.

Good times.

And it is hilarious that none of their predictions regarding the price ever came even remotely close to happening.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
As a reference, here is the recapture penalties that will apply to the Canucks if Luongo retires after each season remaining on his deal, that penalty will be on their books until the end of the 21-22 season.

If he retires after this season, its 1.01M for 8 seasons.

2013-14 - 1,101,333.50
2014-15 - 1,455,905.00
2015-16 - 1,928,667.00
2016-17 - 2,590,533.80
2017-18 - 3,583,334.00
2018-19 - 4,127,334.33
2019-20 - 4,333,335.00
2020-21 - 4,333,337.00

GifKing*

Oct 24, 2013
bzwdlv.gif

wahhh wahhh

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
I remember saying last year that the Leafs would be better off landing Bernier and all I ever heard was you're out of your mind and has less of a sample size then Reimer-waste of assets.

Well there you go. We definitely didn't need Luongo and he is untradeable, even the player admitted to that in the summer so Van can live with him. Nonis will get this team to where it needs to just give the guy time.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I remember saying last year that the Leafs would be better off landing Bernier and all I ever heard was you're out of your mind and has less of a sample size then Reimer-waste of assets.

Well there you go. We definitely didn't need Luongo and he is untradeable, even the player admitted to that in the summer so Van can live with him. Nonis will get this team to where it needs to just give the guy time.

I stated several times they couldn't give Luongo away, mods would delete my posts, Canucks fans called me stuff like stone Cold moron. Mods deleted that stuff as well but it didn't bother me, :laugh:
If you think Lu's recapture is bad, wait and see when Weber leaves 4 years early:nod::laugh:

Parkdale

Jan 14, 2013
Toronto
I'm a big fan of what Nonis has actually done with the Leafs. But if he had acquired Luongo and his toxic contract, I would be off the Nonis bandwagon big time. I'm thinking (hoping) that the Luongo dance was just gamesmanship and was never that serious...so I can continue to be a Nonis believer.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
luongowin.jpg

I wanted Luongo last season if the price was right, I felt Reimer was a mediocre goaltender and if we continued with him we would almost assuringly have another bottom-5 finish. In hindsight, I was obviously wrong, and we ended up better for it by not acquiring Luongo and of course, opting to acquire Jonathan Bernier instead who may be better then Luongo and is younger.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I'm a big fan of what Nonis has actually done with the Leafs. But if he had acquired Luongo and his toxic contract, I would be off the Nonis bandwagon big time. I'm thinking (hoping) that the Luongo dance was just gamesmanship and was never that serious...so I can continue to be a Nonis believer.

I'm with ya on that one.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
The Maple Leafs will never know if passing on Roberto Luongo was the right call. Trade deadlines are tough | The Star

The teams involved: the Maple Leafs and Canucks.

The player: Roberto Luongo.

As the clock approached 3 p.m. ET, the conversation was very animated.

The Vancouver goaltender’s well-documented long-term contract had made any trade seem nearly impossible, but these talks had started at the previous draft in June and kept resurfacing. With any player that significant, conversations are longer and greater in number. The difference that April day was two parties genuinely interested in making a deal, combined with the magic ingredient of a deadline. Deadlines serve their purpose, demanding decisions be made.

Trades take time, often years rather than months. Talks occur formally and casually: sometimes pointed and intended, sometimes added to a different conversation entirely. Managers are in constant contact for a reason, because things are constantly changing. What wasn’t available, affordable or attractive yesterday may be all three today.

Our management team liked Luongo, both as a player and a person. Dave Nonis, our GM, had already traded for Roberto once, when he went from Florida to Vancouver. Now he wanted him again. Our goaltending — like the rest of that Leafs roster — was young, led by James Reimer, and we were judging both the timing and the cost of the situation: monetary and in players. Luongo’s 12-year, $64-million (U.S.) contract, signed in 2009, presented some complexities and Vancouver’s player demands were high.

As the clock ticked, the pressure grew. There were five principals in the conversation, and the voices were all heard.

Vancouver’s main target was centre Nazem Kadri, then 22 and just starting to figure things out. They also liked 22-year-old defenceman Jake Gardiner (knowing that recently drafted Morgan Rielly was not an option) and a goalie would have been included, along with at least one or two significant draft picks. The price was high and would have dramatically changed the direction of our build.

At the last minute, we decided to stand pat. Luongo wound up getting traded the following year at the deadline: returning to the Florida Panthers, with top goaltending prospect Jacob Markstrom the main piece heading to the Canucks.

I think often of that moment, and how things could have been different.

Reactions: Magic Man

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I will say this put Loungo in the same position Reimer was in game 7 up by 3, they don't lose that game.

If you look back at the pieces that would have left there is little to no impact on the future.

Kadri goes which means the terrible Tyson Barrie trade is not possible

Gardiner goes, and look at him now, that's irrelevant.

The 2013 1st round pick goes which means they don't draft, Gauthier and I'm sure this fanbase would just be devastated to have missed out on everything he contributed.

This boys and girls is why I don't care if Dubas trades our 2021 1st

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Auston 316

Jun 25, 2016
I will say this put Loungo in the same position Reimer was in game 7 up by 3, they don't lose that game.

If you look back at the pieces that would have left there is little to no impact on the future.

Kadri goes which means the terrible Tyson Barrie trade is not possible

Gardiner goes, and look at him now, that's irrelevant.

The 2013 1st round pick goes which means they don't draft, Gauthier and I'm sure this fanbase would just be devastated to have missed out on everything he contributed.

This boys and girls is why I don't care if Dubas trades our 2021 1st
And maybe Auston is never a Leaf?
Maybe Connor is?
Maybe both?
Maybe none?
Lol

The butterfly effect is always a fun convo.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
yep and I remember posting don't do it about 50 times. lol? Something like Hall now, don't give up anything for him . We don't need another forward.

banks

Only got 5/16
Aug 29, 2019
If anything went different back in 2012 we don't end up with Matthews and comoany. So there's no arguing that we're in a good place now, and no one would want to mess with it.

That said, I wish I could have seen Luongo as a Leaf, and the 2012-2018 range would have been a heck of a lot more enjoyable if they had acquired him...

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I thought in the Brian Burke biography they had mentioned it would be 2x first rounders so Nylander would have been lost as well. The butterfly effect on that deal would have been crazy to map out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad