News Article: Luongo Thought He Would Be A Leaf

Babscocks

Jan 7, 2011
Edmonton
Luongo for what again? Kadri + Bozak and a first or some garbage?

We acquired Bernier for a great price and no contract, to go along with Reimer whose a starting goalie in this league.. Thank god thats the route we took

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Honestly it would have been a not so bad move last year if they swallowed salary and did it for Bozak and Scrivens straight up maybe add a 4th. 5.5 for 7 we just gave Bozak 4.2 for 5 and Clarkson 5.2 for 7.

He is a good tender regardless.

Reactions: bonjovi0308

The Wall

Mar 28, 2013
I believed that us not dealing Luongo turned the page for the franchise. The John Ferguson regime would do that deal and set us back another decade. Things are looking up guys!

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
While, I don't think it would have hurt to have him here, his contract would have really crippled this team.

though personality-wise I think he would have fit right in with the boys.

Penalty Kill Icing*

I actually like Luongo. And his goaltending for the matter.

But I am content with the goaltending we have. Luongo couldn't make it better than what we have right now. Besides, the contract is bad as said by Luongo himself.

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
I'm definitely in the minority but I kind of wanted Luongo and I don't think his contract is a big burden. The reason I say kind of is because Luongo is a great goalie but we still had Reimer who although not as good, gets the job done.

But after seeing what we have this year in both Bernier and Reimer with how they have played, I'm glad we didn't trade for him.

Defense

Oct 27, 2009
Luongo would have been nice but then would have taken both assets for a #1C and cap space, so an easy no on that one. Plus Riemer helped lead the Leafs into the playoffs for the first time in 9 years. Were good, oh and we got Bernier.

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
luongo would've been nice to have, but his contract was way too long. i'm glad nonis didn't pull the trigger and got us bernier. cheaper and younger. fits in well with the core.

spidergoalie

Aug 9, 2009
Kamloops, BC, Canada
I'm definitely in the minority but I kind of wanted Luongo and I don't think his contract is a big burden. The reason I say kind of is because Luongo is a great goalie but we still had Reimer who although not as good, gets the job done.

But after seeing what we have this year in both Bernier and Reimer with how they have played, I'm glad we didn't trade for him.
Exactly my feelings, both then and now.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010

This is why you're a beauty. Exactly it.

Luo would've shored up our goaltending situation but instead we got a guy who fits our team. It worked out for us.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Cue the Sideshow Bob shudder.

I love how the Sun says I have used 1 of 20 complimentary articles. Why the hell would I want to read the Sun. hahahha

Bure All Day

Mar 29, 2012
Vancouver
Hahahahhahahahahha Canucks fans wanted more for Luongo than they got for Schneider. Funny how wrong they were

it wasn't up to us to make the trade...

I think if it was known what the actual parameters of the deal were. many of us would have taken it..

GMMG was the one who didn't pull the trigger

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I wouldn't have minded us getting him back then. But I'm glad we went the road we did. Luongo is still an excellent goaltender, but Reimer and Bernier are young guys and far fewer assets were moved to Bring in Bernier.

In the end things worked out fine. Maybe not so much for Luongo since that still had to be a severe shock to not be the guy who got moved.

zong

Apr 2, 2013
Glad the trade didn't materialize, that contract..... unbelievable. Was it Nonis or Gillis that signed him to it?

Only player I'm intrigued about a possible target is Chris Tanev, RHD, hometown guy that plays a safe, Mark Fraser-esque game, also went to high school with one of my East York buddies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->