Luongo Talk: The Final Countdown...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Breaking: Burke has been fired. I wonder how much Luongo negotiations characterized this?

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Have to think Bozak is getting a bit underrated around here. He averaged over 18 minutes a game, killed some penalties, threw more hit than Kesler and would have ranked 2nd in FO% among our regular centres last year. Scored 18 goals and 47 points in 70 some odd games. That's pretty solid 3rd line centre material right there.

At this stage he's far and away the better option for the 3rd line than Jordan Schroeder (who is completley overrated by some Canucks fans).

rebel diamond

Sep 2, 2008
Toronto
Breaking: Burke has been fired. I wonder how much Luongo negotiations characterized this?

If it did you have to imagine either Burke turned down a Leafs-favourable offer (the rumoured Bozak + Frattin maybe?) or wanted to accept a Canucks-favourable offer (Gardiner ++ ?)

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver

I have a feeling Burke didn't wanna pull the trigger on the Luongo trade, ownership was not down and Burke fired. In comes Nonis to acquire him, like he did when he was the Van gm :yo:

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Rumblings are Nonis gets interm job.

You're going to get a lot of mixed opinions on Nonis from this board. Personally, I think he'll do a decent - not great, but decent - job. He had some real hits as GM in Vancouver (Luongo trade, Mitchell signing, Carter signing, the 2004 draft) and some major misses (most drafts after 2004, but particularly 2007, every single trade deadline, every attempt at a top-six forward after Carter).

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
If it did you have to imagine either Burke turned down a Leafs-favourable offer (the rumoured Bozak + Frattin maybe?) or wanted to accept a Canucks-favourable offer (Gardiner ++ ?)

No way Burke would give in to a trade demand. Especially from Vancouver. Right now I am guessing it's because the ownership want Luongo.

Pseudonymous*

Have to think Bozak is getting a bit underrated around here. He averaged over 18 minutes a game, killed some penalties, threw more hit than Kesler and would have ranked 2nd in FO% among our regular centres last year. Scored 18 goals and 47 points in 70 some odd games. That's pretty solid 3rd line centre material right there.

At this stage he's far and away the better option for the 3rd line than Jordan Schroeder (who is completley overrated by some Canucks fans).

i think lapierre could get a good amount of pts if he centered daniel sedin and burrors for an entire year :) sometimes players stats are inflated because theyre put in a better position due to the team either not having the better players or injuries

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
I would not be surprised at all if the reason for Burke being fired has somewhat to do with the Luongo situation. My guess is that Burke refused to up his offer, putting the trade in jeopardy and ownership stepped in. The Leafs NEED Luongo. They NEED to make the playoffs. Burke's stubbornness most likely cost him his job. If Nonis takes over, as expected, I fully expect him to pay through the nose for Luongo.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

Schroeder doesn't even go at a 47 point clip in the AHL. He just isn't an NHL player.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I would not be surprised at all if the reason for Burke being fired has somewhat to do with the Luongo situation. My guess is that Burke refused to up his offer, putting the trade in jeopardy and ownership stepped in. The Leafs NEED Luongo. They NEED to make the playoffs. Burke's stubbornness most likely cost him his job. If Nonis takes over, as expected, I fully expect him to pay through the nose for Luongo.

I think so too. At least this is my early reaction. I think what the Blue Jays have done in the offseason also plays a role in this. The Leafs NEED Luongo to be relevant

ddawg1950

Jul 2, 2010
Pender Island, BC Palm Desert, CA
Because of the timing, which s a bit jaw dropping, one could presume that the situation surrounding a possible Luongo trade would have something to do with Burke's firing.

But whether this is a positive or a negative, is just unknown at this point.

If Nonis is retained and promoted, I suspect that the chances of Lou going to TML, just went up.

I imagine Burke will land on his feet after the obligatory year of doing the whole TSN analyst gig.

And then we'll see who hires him next.

Calgary?

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Seems like Burke still managed to give a parting shot "eff you" to the Canucks before getting canned (re: "The Luongo rule") on the new CBA.:sarcasm:

This guy really holds a grudge.:sarcasm:

Fan of Burkie or not - I question the timing of the firing (ie., just bad).

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Because of the timing, which s a bit jaw dropping, one could presume that the situation surrounding a possible Luongo trade would have something to do with Burke's firing.

But whether this is a positive or a negative, is just unlnown at this point.

If Nonis is retained and promoted, I suspect that the chances of Lou going to TML, just went up.

I imagine Burke will land on his feet after the obligatory year of doing the whole TSNAnalyst gig.

And then we'll see who hires him next.

Calgary?

He'll replace Cherry as HNIC's resident windbag.

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
Maybe this is because Gillis has told TO they're out of the race and a deal is in place to send Lou to Florida.

No Lou = No Job

So can Jennifer Mathers BUrke move back home now?

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
With a new ownership group in Toronto, I can only imagine that they wanted Luongo and want to make a big impression by finally getting back to the post-season. Burke probably wanted to stick with the status quo and that likely cost him his job. I can't imagine Burke would've been fired if he was close to acquiring Luongo.

I bet Gillis is a very happy man right now.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON

Playing some of the softest minutes on the 1st line with Kessel and Lupul. Had horrible posession numbers, some of the worst on the Leafs and they got even worse when separated from Kessel and Lupul.

When he was a year older than Schroeder, he had 4 goals in 32 games in the AHL. Blergh. Horrible player that should have no business being anywhere near this team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->