News: Luongo retires, Vancouver hit with cap recapture penalty

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I'm sorry if this has been answered already, but why is the recapture hit higher if the player retires later rather than earlier?
The total cap advantage for the team must be zero.

For simplicity sake lets say its a 5 year deal

10m
10m
10m
2.5m
2.5m

Total 35M, AAV of 7.0

In the first three years the team enjoys a cap advantage of 3 m per year. Or, +9m over 3 years. Cap advantage meaning they have a 10m player on their roster for a 7m hit.

Over the next two years they have a cap disadvantage (lower paid player on a higher hit) of 4.5 m per year, or -9m over 2 years. So they equal out.

If the team traded him after year 3 they enjoyed the cap benefit without the cap disadvantage, thus the entire 9m must be "paid back" over the years remaining in the contract. Its simple to a fault.

HandshakeLineRespect

Respect in the Handshake Line
Apr 17, 2017
Brampton
For one thing Bud, everything I posted was a fact. And what's with this straw man argument crap? What I basically said was, how can Vancouver be mad about something they voted for or agreed to? And for the record kid, I'm 53 years old.
Dude you were arguing against things I never even said what don’t you understand about that. Go yell at some clouds.

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
This is a little blown out of proportion in my eyes. The Canucks have enough cap space for the next 2 years to work through this. Year 3 will be tougher, especially of the cap doesn't go up. Would have been way worse had Luongo played 2 more years and then retired.

The league will enforce this rule, and it will have a little, but not crazy impact on the Canucks. If they enforce this on Vancouver, then they are going to have to enforce the same penalty on Nashville when it comes up in a few years with Shea Webber. That is a possibly franchise crippling number. I think the league is digging their heals in on the wrong issue.

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey

10m
10m
10m
2.5m
2.5m

Total 35M, AAV of 7.0

In the first three years the team enjoys a cap advantage of 3 m per year. Or, +9m over 3 years. Cap advantage meaning they have a 10m player on their roster for a 7m hit.

Over the next two years they have a cap disadvantage (lower paid player on a higher hit) of 4.5 m per year, or -9m over 2 years. So they equal out.

If the team traded him after year 3 they enjoyed the cap benefit without the cap disadvantage, thus the entire 9m must be "paid back" over the years remaining in the contract. Its simple to a fault.

Thanks! Makes sense now!

Reactions: Frank Drebin

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site

10m
10m
10m
2.5m
2.5m

Total 35M, AAV of 7.0

Drebin - doesn't this artificially reduce the $'s available for the NHLPA though? In your example if the player retires after year 4, he was paid a total of $32.5 and his cumulative cap hit was $28M, with a resulting difference of $4M. By reducing team #1's cap by $9M, it seems like the NHLPA are "losing out" on the $5M difference. (I get that this $5M really just reduces the amount withheld in escrow, but it seems strange that the PA would agree to this.)

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Drebin - doesn't this artificially reduce the $'s available for the NHLPA though? In your example if the player retires after year 4, he was paid a total of $32.5 and his cumulative cap hit was $28M, with a resulting difference of $4M. By reducing team #1's cap by $9M, it seems like the NHLPA are "losing out" on the $5M difference. (I get that this $5M really just reduces the amount withheld in escrow, but it seems strange that the PA would agree to this.)
As I understand it - if the player was to retire with the same team after year 4, the cap hit would be 4.5 M for the last year as they had the one year of cap disadvantage.

But if the player was traded to a different team after year 3 and retired after year 4 the cap hit would be 9m for the last year.

I'm certainly not an expert but this is what makes sense to me.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Quite obviously the NHL didn't accept it was within the spirit of the rules or they wouldn't have instituted a cap recapture rule.

Yes, they decided it was egregious that they decided to punish them 4 years later.

If they thought it was illegal, don't allow it. Might as well go back and give Buffalo the Stanley Cup for the foot in the crease then. It was "against the rules" so they should retroactively make it right, right?

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Because in the current CBA, it has been put in that any previous contracts that circumvented the cap will be punished.

Come on guys...the CBA is a legal agreed upon contract, there's no "getting out of it".

Yep. Everyone knows that no contract has ever been broken, not fully-enforced by one of the signatories, or simply terminated and reworked. There is "no 'getting out of it.'"

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Yep. Everyone knows that no contract has ever been broken, not fully-enforced by one of the signatories, or simply terminated and reworked. There is "no 'getting out of it.'"
Well, i guess we shall see. I think you can rule out "terminated and reworked" when talking about the CBA. Vancouver could aporoach the NHL and ask for some kind of leniancy i suppose, but as it stands, that contract is binding....as such, recapture will happen.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
A little late to the party, but with the retirement, Luongo brings to end his own trade tree

luongotrade.png

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Yes, they decided it was egregious that they decided to punish them 4 years later.

If they thought it was illegal, don't allow it. Might as well go back and give Buffalo the Stanley Cup for the foot in the crease then. It was "against the rules" so they should retroactively make it right, right?

Straw man - Wikipedia

They changed the rules at the next best opportunity--when the next CBA was negotiated.

JThorne

Stop accepting failure
Jul 21, 2006
Downtown Buffalo
Christian Ehrhoff is a case of the contract becoming bad after the rule change. And the Sabres will be paying for another decade still.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad