Luongo is playing like he's 29

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
I think opinions on Luongo changed when he started tweeting. Before that he took alot of crap, was considered weak mentally, etc. Funny tweets changed everything.

yeah it's weird

luongo was almost disliked as much as kesler/bieska, unfairly I might add

anyways this thread was really premature. Florida's Luongo never striked me as a top tier goaltender. Just a savy veteran with his best days behind him but not utter garbage

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
I don't see how Lu playing in more games makes him more susceptible to injury other than the simple fact there is more playing time, therefore more opportunity for injury. Fatigue maybe but by all accounts Luongo is in great physical condition.

Played in a bunch of games for the Panthers. Injured.

Also to add to my point (page 4) as soon as he started getting overworked he played terrible. He's lost 4 of his last 4 games.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
:( He's 39. It sucks his body is giving out on him. You can tell he still wants to play and have the workload like he is 10 years younger. He still has the ability to play at a really high level too even though he has been around that long.

I still think its a crime he didn't win the Vezina in 07. Finished with more Hart votes than Brodeur too. In alot of other years he would have won it with that performance. He won a Jack Adams that year & earned more than a playoff birth but didn't get recognized with an individual award for himself.

HHOFer for sure. Hopefully this injury doesnt end his season/career. One of the best of all time.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
I'm still mad Luongo didn't get the Vezina in 03-04 simply because his team didn't make playoffs. The guy set the NHL record for saves in a season while posting a .931sv%. His backup that season had an .879sv%.

But nope, give it to Brodeur for his .917sv% on an NJ team that featured Elias, Gomez, Neidermayer, and Rafalski. Both of his backups (albeit in very small sample sizes) had better stats than Brodeur that year.

He didn't even come 2nd in voting. Kiprusoff got that, and although he played great that season, he only played in 38 games!

Needless to say, I hope Lu gets the Vezina this year.

Wow! I always knew Lu had a great year that season but I didn't realize his numbers were that crazy on a team like Florida.

And I thought 07 was a crime. Thats absolute robbery. Guys had such piss poor luck throughout his career. I can't think of a generational talent who's had luck like that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->