Luongo is playing like he's 29

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
My favorite player from those wretched Canucks teams. Still can't believe what they did to him but I'm very happy to see he's been doing so well in Florida

We made him the highest paid goalie in the league, made him the first goalie captain in forever (which he loved) and when he got supplanted by a younger goalie and requested a trade to Florida (while blocking trades anywhere else with his NTC) we still eventually managed to trade him there. If only every player could get treated so terribly.

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
He was my favourite player on the Canucks, and has ruined all other goalies for me in terms of fandom.

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
Hot take.

If he stays healthy...he will win either the Hart or Vezina this year.

0ad2695660b56af620645b32b31bbd6a.480x270x39.gif

Panthers went 2-8 in their first 10 without Luongo.

5-0 since his return.

And he's the (very early) statistical leader among goalies.

Probably the early Vezina/Hart leader.

GrkFlyersFan

Jul 30, 2011
South Jersey
Like who? Curtis Joseph? Luongo has twice the amount of top 10 Save% finishes. I can't really think of anyone else in Luongo's league who has not been inducted, save Lundqvist.

Luongo even has a better S% record than Brodeur, whom many consider to be a top 5 goalie of all time. Here's how they compare.

Luongo
2000-01 NHL .920 (7th)
2001-02 NHL .915 (10th)
2002-03 NHL .918 (9th)
2003-04 NHL .931 (3rd)
2005-06 NHL .914 (9th)
2006-07 NHL .921 (4th)
2008-09 NHL .920 (5th)
2010-11 NHL .928 (3rd)
2015-16 NHL .922 (9th)
2017-18 NHL .929 (3rd)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Brodeur
1993-94 NHL .915 (4th)
1995-96 NHL .912 (7th)
1996-97 NHL .927 (3rd)
1997-98 NHL .917 (5th)
2006-07 NHL .922 (3rd)
2007-08 NHL .920 (8th)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Granted, a few of these seasons from Luongo he didn't play much games, at least compared to brodeur who was typically playing 70 plus games from 1995 to 2009.
Ok, well first of all, I've always thought Brodeur was overrated, although I would put him top 5. Anyway, if you put Luongo in, you better also put in Cujo, Mike Vernon, Mike Richter, Henrik Lundqvist, and Tom Barrasso. Fair or not, Luongo will have his playoff meltdowns held against him, too. No, I don't count 2011 among them. I like Luongo, I wouldn't hate him being HOF, but there are others that deserve it just as much.

Elitersson

Unregistered User
Feb 22, 2016
I'm still mad Luongo didn't get the Vezina in 03-04 simply because his team didn't make playoffs. The guy set the NHL record for saves in a season while posting a .931sv%. His backup that season had an .879sv%.

But nope, give it to Brodeur for his .917sv% on an NJ team that featured Elias, Gomez, Neidermayer, and Rafalski. Both of his backups (albeit in very small sample sizes) had better stats than Brodeur that year.

He didn't even come 2nd in voting. Kiprusoff got that, and although he played great that season, he only played in 38 games!

Needless to say, I hope Lu gets the Vezina this year.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
It's a 4 game stretch. Pretty much every goalie in the league has gone 4 games of incredible hockey. Runs happen.

Kuemper, Dell, Niemi, Allen, Darling, Mrazek, Elliot, every goalie, even the ones you don't necessarily think are great have gone on runs. It's hockey.

I think what the Panthers need to do is keep Luongo fresh and healthy. They need him playing this way in April, May, and June, not in early to mid November. 4/5 games is too much, it's too hard on his body, and it increases the chance he's going to get hurt again. 3/5 should be the max and playing a 50/50 split until the playoffs would be ideal. I suppose the big issue is, can they get to playoffs if he's only playing half of the games.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Considering he's still an elite starter, his contract is amazing. Seeing that he is something of a fitness nut, it wouldn't shock me if he is still a starter in two years. He has gone on record that he intends to play out his contract, and he's not one to half-ass his performance. If he genuinely believes he can no longer compete for a No. 1 job, THEN he'll retire. I think he will become the new goalie standard for elite play at an "advanced" age.

If he would be a fitness freak shouldn't he have less weight?
On the Panthers website his bios were updated the last year, 6'3 and 215 lb. If he would lose 25 lb he would be flying.

What kind of injury did he have in his first game?

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
If he would be a fitness freak shouldn't he have less weight?
On the Panthers website his bios were updated the last year, 6'3 and 215 lb. If he would lose 25 lb he would be flying.

What kind of injury did he have in his first game?

Knee. Vatrano fell on it

Being 215 probably helped him a bit in this case.

Hooby Dooby Doo

Jun 6, 2018
It's a 4 game stretch. Pretty much every goalie in the league has gone 4 games of incredible hockey. Runs happen.

Kuemper, Dell, Niemi, Allen, Darling, Mrazek, Elliot, every goalie, even the ones you don't necessarily think are great have gone on runs. It's hockey.

I think what the Panthers need to do is keep Luongo fresh and healthy. They need him playing this way in April, May, and June, not in early to mid November. 4/5 games is too much, it's too hard on his body, and it increases the chance he's going to get hurt again. 3/5 should be the max and playing a 50/50 split until the playoffs would be ideal. I suppose the big issue is, can they get to playoffs if he's only playing half of the games.

We wont see April, May or June with our backups. Thats the dilemma. We need to win now to solidify that. Reimer shows flashes but is not a full time #1. 5 games in the next 8 days, Lou needs to start 4 of those.

Elitersson

Unregistered User
Feb 22, 2016
I don't see how Lu playing in more games makes him more susceptible to injury other than the simple fact there is more playing time, therefore more opportunity for injury. Fatigue maybe but by all accounts Luongo is in great physical condition.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
If you put Luongo in the HOF without a Cup or Vezina, you have to put several others in, which I'm not against, but it would change the entire standard of HOF goalies(which is impossibly high right now).

Luongo is one of the best goalies of all time, period. He's a sure-fire Hall of Famer the day he's eligible. He's never played for a team I've cheered for, but have to speak the truth here.

Reactions: abo9

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Ok, well first of all, I've always thought Brodeur was overrated, although I would put him top 5. Anyway, if you put Luongo in, you better also put in Cujo, Mike Vernon, Mike Richter, Henrik Lundqvist, and Tom Barrasso. Fair or not, Luongo will have his playoff meltdowns held against him, too. No, I don't count 2011 among them. I like Luongo, I wouldn't hate him being HOF, but there are others that deserve it just as much.

Luongo has a way better career than Vernon and Richter

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
It's still very early, but say he posts top 5, even top 10 goalie stats while playing a starter's load.

Even without winning the Vezina, should he be a very strong candidate for the Masterton trophy?

(forgive me if I forgot a player who just recovered from some incredible disease or somehting)

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010

Lundqvist is in the Hall of Fame for sure. Luongo is a hair behind Lundqvist, statistically compared to peers, but still should be a shoe-in to make the HOF. Those two were elite pretty much every season for long careers. Others with high short peaks don't tend to get consideration for the HOF.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Lundqvist is in the Hall of Fame for sure. Luongo is a hair behind Lundqvist, statistically compared to peers, but still should be a shoe-in to make the HOF. Those two were elite pretty much every season for long careers. Others with high short peaks don't tend to get consideration for the HOF.

Looking at you, Thomas.

s2kboi

Jul 10, 2006
So Luongo was overrated when he was playing for the Canucks. He was labeled as a "choker", "7uongo".... Etc. And now he is underrated.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad