Luongo is playing like he's 29

Zanon

Apr 4, 2008
Vancouver
Since coming back from the injury he sustained in his first start of the season, Luongo has helped the Panthers win 4 out of their last 5 games (he sat for one).

In his 5 games played so far (including the one he got injured in), he has 4 wins, zero recorded losses, a 1.42 goals against average, and a .956 save percentage.

Last season he had a .929 save percentage in his 35 games played. The man can still stop the puck. He'll be 40 in April and should be 3rd all-time in wins by then.

Dondini

Apr 28, 2010
I feel like he’s been somewhat underrated in his career. In Florida he was a star. In Vancouver he became the scapegoat. Then back in Florida he seems to be just written off as an old man.

In all his years he’s only had two seasons under .910 save percentage (.904) and (.907)
As well he’s only had 3 seasons over 2.7 gaa
(2.97), (2.77) and (2.71)
Pretty crazy stats

One of my other favourite stats is that he’s 6th all time in save percentage (.920) with 1005ish games played. In the top 35 for save percentage there is only a couple of guys that have played 700-800 games. And the 5 guys ahead of him have played significantly less games

Last edited:

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
I feel like he’s been somewhat underrated in his career. In Florida he was a star. In Vancouver he became the scapegoat. Then back in Florida he seems to be just written off as an old man.

In all his years he’s only had two seasons under .910 save percentage (.904) and (.907)
Pretty crazy stats

The thing is that he wasn't even bad in Vancouver, it is that his backups were really good.

Reactions: drs151

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Problem is it will only last for a bit and his age will catch up to him when the season hits March..

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018

Pretty crazy stats

He wasn't bad in VAN, he was just pushed by talented young goalies his entire tenure there which made him appear expendable

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Flyers sucked tonight in first 2 periods....had 5 shots from their forwards in those 2 periods COMBINED.

But he was great in the 3rd period when his team needed him. Was excellent.

Reactions: NJ DevLolz

Nolanitis

Feb 19, 2007
NYC
he plays great but his body has betrayed him. When he hurt his hip during Isles game, it was not anything but a knee drive down that caused his issue. He can play once a week or he will get hurt again soon.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
He almost won a Hart Trophy and Vezina in Vancouver.

Issues with his time in Vancouver that ruing people's perception of him are:
1.) Groin injury in 2008 really set his game back for a while;
2.) Getting named captain was not well received;
3.) Occasional playoff meltdowns are remembered more than his lights out play in the playoffs; and
4.) He had an absolutely sensational backup and horrid contract, leading a lot of drama.

However, he was on a team with two Art Ross winners and arguably was the best player on the team. He never stopped being elite in Vancouver.

As to the OP, Luongo's return has stabilized the whole team.

I'd love for Luongo to keep this up and finally win a Vezina.

johnnybbadd

Mar 29, 2011
He’s still a very good goalie. It’s just questionable whether he can stay healthy. If he plays more than 50 games the Panthers have a good chance of making the playoffs. But it’s 50/50 if he’s going to stay healthy enough to do that.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015

Issues with his time in Vancouver that ruing people's perception of him are:
1.) Groin injury in 2008 really set his game back for a while;
2.) Getting named captain was not well received;
3.) Occasional playoff meltdowns are remembered more than his lights out play in the playoffs; and
4.) He had an absolutely sensational backup and horrid contract, leading a lot of drama.

However, he was on a team with two Art Ross winners and arguably was the best player on the team. He never stopped being elite in Vancouver.

As to the OP, Luongo's return has stabilized the whole team.

I'd love for Luongo to keep this up and finally win a Vezina.

I still think he made the greatest goalie saves, during his tenure as the captain of the Canucks. Hail Luongo!

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
I hope he can somehow either pull off a Hasek-esque run to the finals with the Cats or they trade him to a contender when his contract is up. It was already hard enough watching Vanbiesbrouck and Joseph retire without cups, I'd rather not see Luongo added to that list.

jonu

Dec 11, 2014
Moon

This goes for many goalies in the league, fans just pick the easiest target to vent on

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
I hope he can somehow either pull off a Hasek-esque run to the finals with the Cats or they trade him to a contender when his contract is up. It was already hard enough watching Vanbiesbrouck and Joseph retire without cups, I'd rather not see Luongo added to that list.

Yes, I hope he wins the Cup, before he retires. He truly deserves that championship.

Reactions: CykaBlyat

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
NHL Career

507 W - 496 L - 32 T
2.50 GAA
91.94 SV%
81 SO

Panthers Career

215 W - 263 L - 32 T
2.56 GAA
92.11 SV%