Speculation: Luongo’s cap hit with the Panthers

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
I don't think it's the cash (his contract was heavily frontloaded). I think it's more that he doesn't want to stick both FLA and VAN with the recapture penalties.

Bh6uzX3CcAQFnWt.png

What annoys me is they don't do the math right. If Luongo retires in june 2021, he has played some of his discount-years, where the team has taken a higher cap-hit than his salary. The cap-recapture should reflect this.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
What annoys me is they don't do the math right. If Luongo retires in june 2021, he has played some of his discount-years, where the team has taken a higher cap-hit than his salary. The cap-recapture should reflect this.
It does. That's why the Panthers cap hit goes down. Vancouver's cap hit doesn't go down because they only reaped the benefits of his contract during the first few years.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
It does. That's why the Panthers cap hit goes down. Vancouver's cap hit doesn't go down because they only reaped the benefits of his contract during the first few years.

That's only some pennies. If the cap recapture penalty had been 4,333333 or something, for that last year, I would have said it was right.

Edit: but first of all, I should have said I totally agree with those who say the NHL shouldn't have accepted those contracts in the first place. And in particular this is nasty for Nashville with the Weber-contract, who got a poison-pill embedded in an offer-sheet. To harm the team who was bending the rules is of course somewhat less annoying. Still, NHL just shouldn't have accepted it.

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
That's only some pennies. If the cap recapture penalty had been 4,333333 or something, for that last year, I would have said it was right.

Edit: but first of all, I should have said I totally agree with those who say the NHL shouldn't have accepted those contracts in the first place. And in particular this is nasty for Nashville with the Weber-contract, who got a poison-pill embedded in an offer-sheet. To harm the team who was bending the rules is of course somewhat less annoying. Still, NHL just shouldn't have accepted it.
All deals that took a player to almost 40 plus dropped so much were not logical from anyone’s POV. And should not have been accepted. Once they let the first one or two go, then more and more teams pushed the envelope. But all parties involved in these deals said that they were fully prepared to play it through. Which we know was BS. OVY signed his 13 year deal which takes him to 36. Given the salary breakdown that was a valid deal as well as when it expired. But then teams started adding 2-3 dead years of $1 million in salary.

Hockey is a physically demanding sport. It’s a rare individual who can play it that long. Plus, when you are making so little in the end you have less motivation to put your body through the rigours not to mention having to train hard in the summer to get ready.

For Lu, if this past year was his final one then a $60.4 million deal over 9 years would have been around $6.7 million which is almost exactly the same cap hit he had before. $27 mill over 4 years he signed with Nonis.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad