News Article: Lundqvist to use same pads in Sochi

Kwayry

Jun 30, 2011
Plano
New York Rangers goalie Henrik Lundqvist will bring NHL-sized goalie pads with him to Sochi for the Winter Olympics.

The (likely) Swedish starter has heard theories about why he hasn’t looked as good this season as he has in the past and the change in pad size is one that’s become popular

As Larry Brooks of the New York Post shares, Lundqvist isn’t amused by that theory.
“The people who said that the pads were the reason I was not playing well, or said I’d been good before because I’d been cheating, maybe I’d care if they weren’t ignorant about the game and the position
[/LIST],†Lundqvist said.

Lundqvist said you close your pads at the knees and not at the top and adds, if anything, the size regulations have helped him out.

Just to note, his .917 save percentage so far this season is his lowest since 2008-09 when he finished at .916. His 2.46 goals-against average is the highest its been in his NHL career.

At the very least, we know Lundqvist won’t blame his equipment for how he’s doing, but that won’t stop the theories.

BarbaraAlphanse

New York Rangers goalie Henrik Lundqvist will bring NHL-sized goalie pads with him to Sochi for the Winter Olympics.

The (likely) Swedish starter has heard theories about why he hasn’t looked as good this season as he has in the past and the change in pad size is one that’s become popular

As Larry Brooks of the New York Post shares, Lundqvist isn’t amused by that theory.

Just to note, his .917 save percentage so far this season is his lowest since 2008-09 when he finished at .916. His 2.46 goals-against average is the highest its been in his NHL career.

At the very least, we know Lundqvist won’t blame his equipment for how he’s doing, but that won’t stop the theories.

I'm interested to see what both of those numbers would be for just the last 2 months.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
lol Lundqvist telling the media nerds to shut up. The pad excuse was the worst ******** ever.

I said back when the question was originally posed about Lundqvist possibly using bigger pads in Sochi that his decision on that would reflect how important those extra inches were to him. Well it appears the answer is; not very.

Between his recent play (excellent) and now this, I think we can put this ridiculous myth to rest. Now if we could only silence the 'Paidqvist' ding dongs, we'd be in good shape around here.

Riverdale

Jan 14, 2012
lol Lundqvist telling the media nerds to shut up. The pad excuse was the worst ******** ever.

I said back when the question was originally posed about Lundqvist possibly using bigger pads in Sochi that his decision on that would reflect how important those extra inches were to him. Well it appears the answer is; not very.

Between his recent play (excellent) and now this, I think we can put this ridiculous myth to rest. Now if we could only silence the 'Paidqvist' ding dongs, we'd be in good shape around here.

What's worse is that it was believed by some Ranger fans as well. I cringed every time I heard someone bring up the pads. If you have watched Lundqvist for even just a few seasons you would see clear as day that his pads had nothing to do with his slump.

He had a small slump. It happens to athletes. End of story

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I think the obvious explanation is that he doesn't want to have to get used to new equipment for a 2 week tournament.

Much of his struggled had to do with changing his style for the lighter, shorter pads. Normally the size isn't hugely significant, I think he just struggled to adjust and now he's got it. He has no reason to go back to large and start the form and style struggle again, he could be tripping over himself going into butterfly.

One thing is for sure, goalie leg pads re much more reasonable now. You'll never see a modern shot of the pad "crossover" NJ fans were a fan of.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004

Dunno about the GAA but it's pretty likely his save % will at least be up around his career average (.920) by the end of the year if he keeps playing like this

he's actually at .918 now

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I think the obvious explanation is that he doesn't want to have to get used to new equipment for a 2 week tournament.

Much of his struggled had to do with changing his style for the lighter, shorter pads. Normally the size isn't hugely significant, I think he just struggled to adjust and now he's got it. He has no reason to go back to large and start the form and style struggle again, he could be tripping over himself going into butterfly.

One thing is for sure, goalie leg pads re much more reasonable now. You'll never see a modern shot of the pad "crossover" NJ fans were a fan of.

Or it could have been adjusting to the team in front of him playing a different style that he hasn't played behind in his entire NHL career. Learning what to anticipate, etc.

He's gone through pad reductions before without major problems, I have doubts that is what it was this time. I think it was a bad slump, getting into his own head about it, and the team in general adjusting to a new style of play

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
And in a generation where Ben Bishop can sit on the goal line with his skates stretched to either post in the butterfly, with no five hole, pad size isn't the real issue any more.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
The only thing that pad change was supposed to do was allow for more five hole goals as a goalie I laugh at people saying it's the equipment

He hasn't been letting in a ton more 5 hole goals than normal. Guy gets beat high glove and people go hahaha it's cause he lost an inch on his leg pads

He's spot on it is ignorance about the position

AHB*

I think it had a lot more to do with the Man to Man defense change and the fact that everyone, including forwards, looked completely inept.

His confidence was shot, but the pads had little to do with it. His biggest issue was his glove side for anyone that really looked at that bad stretch of his.

Jonimaus

Jul 15, 2011
Lund
If he didn't start the season in a huge slump, he'd likely be top 3 favourite for the Vezina this year. :cry:

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
The only thing that pad change was supposed to do was allow for more five hole goals as a goalie I laugh at people saying it's the equipment

He hasn't been letting in a ton more 5 hole goals than normal. Guy gets beat high glove and people go hahaha it's cause he lost an inch on his leg pads

He's spot on it is ignorance about the position

I think he had a lot of trouble with his positioning this year and finding his comfort zone. He spent a lot of time being just a little off and letting in goals because of that

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
He still has potential to do that if he keeps the play up.

He'll need his save % to get up over .930 and I don't think that's gonna happen. He'll need a bunch of shutouts and 1 goal wins to do that and I just doubt it'll happen. If he holds his current play I think you'll see him finish the season with like a .925 save percentage at the highest

AHB*

He still has potential to do that if he keeps the play up.

It's shocking where he is in the rankings with how bad a season he's seemingly had. If he continues his trend upward, he certainly can.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00