Lundqvist is injured (2/6 Update: ~one month)

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
God the Rangers were never THAT bad. People need to disassociate the bloated salary narcessistic Rangers to the well played team defense Rangers that has been in place since Henrik has been in the league.

Ehh, the well played team defense Rangers really only started that first year that the Torts Rangers started to come into place. The year before the Rangers were the 1 seed heading into the playoffs.. McDonagh's debut and the Callahan broken leg vs. Boston.

Prior to that the Rangers were usually in a frantic last-minute scramble to make the playoffs during the early Renney years that coincided with Hank playing his best hockey of the season.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

The Sweetness

Jul 15, 2010
Stockholm
Any stats to back this up? I don't usually hear about goalie fatigue by the time the SCF comes around. Over 30 or not he can handle the workload.
Look how many games top players play when healthy versus goalies. If goalies didn't need to be rested they'd be playing every game instead of 65-70 games a year.

Playing an entire 60 minutes for a goalie is incredibly taxing both mentally and physically far more so than playing as a skater. There is a reason playoff teams closely monitor their goalies regular season starts as they want them fresh for the playoffs.

I can't remember what goalie it was (it might have been Lundqvist) but a coach was saying that he thinks the keeper looked fresher in the playoffs if his number of starts during the regular season was closer to 60 than 70 and that the team was trying to bring the number down this season. Maybe another poster can provide more info.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Tough for the Rangers but could be a silver lining that he comes back rested.

Section32

May 26, 2011
CT
Wow, goes to show how unbelievably healthy Lundqvist has been throughout his career.

Granted, losing a goalie is brutal, but all teams have injuries. The better ones overcome them.

May actually help the team in the long run in that they are really going to have to play an "A" game to keep pace.

But can you just imagine Sather makes the call to St. Louis? "Hello Marty?"

Would never happen, but Sather has a long history of bringing players and coaches that Ranger fans hate(d) with true passion- from Trottier to Terry O-Reilly, to John MacLean, Rich Pilon and Brasheer...Sather couldn't care less what the Ranger fan thinks....

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Can they really trust Skapsi to be the back-up for nearly a month at this stage in his career, or would they trade for someone? Dubnyk would make sense. Minnesota might want to capitalize on his hot streak with Kuemper coming back.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Can they really trust Skapsi to be the back-up for nearly a month at this stage in his career, or would they trade for someone? Dubnyk would make sense. Minnesota might want to capitalize on his hot streak with Kampfer is coming back.

No way is Minnesota trading Dubnyk, they traded for him to be their #1 after dealing with inconsistent play in net all season long. They gave up a 3rd for him so we'd have to give up at least a 2nd in a draft where we are down a 1st as is. They are in the thick of a playoff race and will be buyers at the deadline if they can keep this up.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
No way is Minnesota trading Dubnyk, they traded for him to be their #1 after dealing with inconsistent play in net all season long. They gave up a 3rd for him so we'd have to give up at least a 2nd in a draft where we are down a 1st as is. They are in the thick of a playoff race and will be buyers at the deadline if they can keep this up.

Wow, I didn't realize they had gained that much ground. I had sort of written them off lol.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Would never happen, but Sather has a long history of bringing players and coaches that Ranger fans hate(d) with true passion- from Trottier to Terry O-Reilly, to John MacLean, Rich Pilon and Brasheer...Sather couldn't care less what the Ranger fan thinks....

Actually I love the idea of Brodeur being a Ranger. It makes me positively giddy. Can you imagine how miserable that would make them across the river? It would be the greatest thing that ever happened.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Wow, I didn't realize they had gained that much ground. I had sort of written them off lol.

Yep, have won 4 straight, only 5 points out of a wild card spot. I see a poster below mentioned Ramo, that might make more sense after Ortio's dominant run before the ASG and probably want to make room for him

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
Can they really trust Skapsi to be the back-up for nearly a month at this stage in his career, or would they trade for someone? Dubnyk would make sense. Minnesota might want to capitalize on his hot streak with Kuemper coming back.

I'd bring up Danis for a long-term backup (unless they go outside of the system).

Blues88

Apr 27, 2009
St. Louis
I don't think goalies necessarily need to be rested for the playoffs, it's not the same as skaters.

Lundqvist has averaged 3,763 minutes (58 min/gm) and 63 games (9 seasons) per season in his career. For comparison's sake, if we took Ryan Suter's TOI from last season (29.25 min/gm) and applied it to his average games played/season (74), his average minutes per season is 2,164. Even that number is inflated for Suter because last season was his peak TOI

Lundqvist has logged 4000+ min/season 5 times. That's absurd. Forget a position, any human would need some rest, especially with the intensity and the risk of continuous OT in the playoffs.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Actually I love the idea of Brodeur being a Ranger. It makes me positively giddy. Can you imagine how miserable that would make them across the river? It would be the greatest thing that ever happened.

Marty is shot. At this point in time, Talbot is a far better goalie. Experience is nice, but it doesn't hide 40 year old reflexes.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
I can't remember what goalie it was (it might have been Lundqvist) but a coach was saying that he thinks the keeper looked fresher in the playoffs if his number of starts during the regular season was closer to 60 than 70 and that the team was trying to bring the number down this season. Maybe another poster can provide more info.

Not sure if this is what you saw, but Billy Smith confirmed this.

Isles have been bringing some of the older players back to the Coliseum for its last year and Smitty was interviewed and asked about playing for Arbour.

He mentioned that Arbour wouldn't ride him game after game during the regular season and he knew what he was doing. Smith wanted to play every game, but coach though differently.

Playoff time, from one or two weeks out, it was all Smith every game to get him going for the PO's. Arbour wouldn't even talk to him throughout the series, Smith just knew he was playing every game. Seemed to have worked out well!

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Marty is shot. At this point in time, Talbot is a far better goalie. Experience is nice, but it doesn't hide 40 year old reflexes.

I agree with you, but it would still be the greatest thing that ever happened.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
Sorry to hear this. :(

King Henrik is the best goaltender in the league, IMHO.

I hope he makes a full recovery with no lingering effects.

The Rangers should be fine with Talbot. He's a quality goaltender although he won't be used to the workload. 6 games in 10 days coming up, I believe so he'll be tested.

noupf

Jan 31, 2007

or.......Marty Brodeur comes to the Rangers and sabotages their season. Lets in soft goals to blow tied games or lets in a late one to have the opponent go up by 1 with only minutes to go. This is the ultimate FU from a NJ Devil....... :naughty:

Sather .........!!!!!

Stay away from Marty !!!

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Some good may come of this seemingly awful situation if Hank actually does get back with a few weeks before the playoffs.

First, the d had been a little wacky in front of Hank this year, but they do tend to lock it down and play a more solid game in front of Cam. Maybe they can get into a groove playing like that and guys like McD and Girardi who have been struggling to play at their best can establish some good habits.

Secondly, we've never seen Hank in the playoffs without the trudge of a full season leading up to it. Maybe he'll have some extra energy to draw from. I do worry that he'll need time to get back to where he was at recently, but hopefully a few weeks can be enough.

Lastly, we saw last post season how this group can rally together around something when a situation calls for it. Marty had a real hard time and the guys banded together and played lights out for him. Maybe they can do the same here for Hank to carry the torch while he's out, and then support their best player when he returns after what could have been a life changing injury.

hockeyfanOU812

do you feel in charge?
Mar 27, 2014

scha·den·freu·de
ˈSHädənˌfroidə
noun
pleasure derived by someone from another person's misfortune.

Hi, Kevin :D

TmSdS.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad