Lundell and Rodrigues

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
I've been pretty lenient on Lundell. But 2 seasons of the exact same production is a bit concerning.

I'll say what I said a while back. As it stands now, we aren't the ideal developmental team since we've been on win now mode since his arrival.

Barring season ending injuries, he's never gonna get an extended look with our best players and line juggling just to cater to his needs. And tbh, the looks he's gotten on the 2nd or 1st line when we've had injuries for a bit hasn't exactly inspired confidence.

You can only hope he takes that next step. I wouldn't mind keeping him as a cheap 3rd line center, but I can also see him being traded at some point to a team that wants to take a chance at him and is more development friendly.

As for Rodrigues.. maybe someone has the stats, but I feel like his production has gone down considerably the latter half of the season

I swear I remember him being at more than half a point per game pace to start the season. Like mid 20 points in 40 something games.

Now I'm not even sure he hits 40 points by the end of the season. He's a frustrating player cause he's so often in the right areas to score. But just a complete nonthreatening shooting arsenal, and his hands aren't good enough to pot him goals regularly.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
id think wed all be easier on lundy if he didnt have that decent year under Q (but who didnt?)
"Decent" is underselling it. He had a damn good season for a rookie, did about everything you could hope for from a guy his age.
He's stagnated since. Whwther it's him, Maurice or both, it hasn't really worked out so far.

Reactions: BabyBennettov

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
IIRC, Lundell has been up and down between each regular season and playoffs.

Rookie year had a solid reg season and was meh in playoffs [understandable]
Next year was bad in reg season but had great playoffs.

So if the formula is that, he should have a great playoffs this year?

Reactions: BabyBennettov

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
I've been pretty lenient on Lundell. But 2 seasons of the exact same production is a bit concerning.

I'll say what I said a while back. As it stands now, we aren't the ideal developmental team since we've been on win now mode since his arrival.

Barring season ending injuries, he's never gonna get an extended look with our best players and line juggling just to cater to his needs. And tbh, the looks he's gotten on the 2nd or 1st line when we've had injuries for a bit hasn't exactly inspired confidence.

You can only hope he takes that next step. I wouldn't mind keeping him as a cheap 3rd line center, but I can also see him being traded at some point to a team that wants to take a chance at him and is more development friendly.

As for Rodrigues.. maybe someone has the stats, but I feel like his production has gone down considerably the latter half of the season

I swear I remember him being at more than half a point per game pace to start the season. Like mid 20 points in 40 something games.

Now I'm not even sure he hits 40 points by the end of the season. He's a frustrating player cause he's so often in the right areas to score. But just a complete nonthreatening shooting arsenal, and his hands aren't good enough to pot him goals regularly.
Has ERod ever scored on a breakaway? Can he hold onto the puck long enough to shoot or deke?

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Do enjoy how Lundell has a few goals from sniping it between the goalies head and the crossbar, and then a handful of times of missing an open net or shooting it directly into the goalies shoe lace even if there was a 3x4' open net.

Just needs to envision the goalies head everywhere and pick those corners.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Do enjoy how Lundell has a few goals from sniping it between the goalies head and the crossbar, and then a handful of times of missing an open net or shooting it directly into the goalies shoe lace even if there was a 3x4' open net.

Just needs to envision the goalies head everywhere and pick those corners.
Yeah that disparity sure sticks out. Almost like Anton needs an insane degree of difficulty to score…

Reactions: ShootIt

Haj

#CatsAreComing
Apr 6, 2003
Arlington, VA
Rodrigues is what he is. He is here to drive play, be above average defensively. He is a good 3rd liner.

Lundell is never going to be a pure goal scorer. That being said some of his goal scoring is bad shooting luck. He needs to improve his shot release, quickness or changing the angle slightly.

Another reason is the role he is deployed in. Lundell and Luostarinen are predominantly defensive forwards. They flip the ice for one of the top two lines to start a shift in the o-zone.

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
It was pointed out in another thread that Lundell currently has as many goals as Jonathan Huberdeau.

Just saying.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Can anyone explain the big spread in +\- between Lundell and Luostarinen? Seems like they’ve been paired up all year…

Reactions: Felidae

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
Technically we should be more worried about Luosto since his offensive output is lower than ERod's while making the same salary (even though he provides more value on the PK).

I like all of the 3. They are still play drivers and generating chances more than giving them up. And they can finish even if they are quite streaky. We can just hope that their streaks are coming in the POs. Lundell right on track right now, ERod has decent PO stats so he should be able to contribute. Not expecting that much from Luosty in this regard (just the 1 game 6 GWG per PO)

Reactions: VIMMM

Idiot Stick

Youre back on the case Bobrovsky!
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2023
You Got, Florida
Technically we should be more worried about Luosto since his offensive output is lower than ERod's while making the same salary (even though he provides more value on the PK).

I like all of the 3. They are still play drivers and generating chances more than giving them up. And they can finish even if they are quite streaky. We can just hope that their streaks are coming in the POs. Lundell right on track right now, ERod has decent PO stats so he should be able to contribute. Not expecting that much from Luosty in this regard (just the 1 game 6 GWG per PO)
im never talkin shit about Luostar, we missed him badly in the finals and hes coming off of a broken tibula.

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
im never talkin shit about Luostar, we missed him badly in the finals and hes coming off of a broken tibula.
Completely agree. My point is nevertheless, he is below expectations points wise compared to last year. Rodrigues and Lundell aren't, yet they get flak for it. They all have their fair share of playing time with our best scorers (whether it is with Barkov or Reinhart).

So as I said, I am happy with all 3 of them, and I am curious what they can do in the POs.

Reactions: Idiot Stick

ScottyMascotty

Dec 24, 2017
St. Petersburg
Rodrigues is what he is. He is here to drive play, be above average defensively. He is a good 3rd liner.
I've rarely seen a player get so memed just because of lack of finishing talent. There are some folks here and on Twitter who even want to relegate him to 4th line. I wonder if those are the same people who think Nick Cousins should never get out of 2nd line. (For them, ERod just doesn't fit their narrative of what makes player particularly useful, he is not a goalscorer or big point producer, but he is also not a big, tough player who hits everything that moves or a pest who gets under opponent skin like Cousins) That "prank" quickly went out of control and became sort of culture war against "Redditors" and "nerds with analytics".

1712780883797.png

Catscountry40

Feb 4, 2021
Since I have posted this the 27-15-17 have played really well. Little snake bitten with getting more in the net, which has been an issue with 15 and 17. But man that line has been great on the forecheck.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00