Ansar Khan: Luke Witkowski suspended 10 games

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Tkachuk won't get suspended, it was only a love tap. I mean I know he did provoke Witkowski, but that did not merit more than what he already served in the game yesterday.

As for Witkowski, well, he did light a fire under the team, something I didn't see a lot of last year. It was some great Old Time hockey.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
do we lose his cap hit for those ten games? I mean, he's not getting paid for them.

I think the money he would have made goes to the Player's Emergency Fund (which is : $40,322.58) and the player's cap hit is still the same.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Tkachuk won't get suspended, it was only a love tap. I mean I know he did provoke Witkowski, but that did not merit more than what he already served in the game yesterday.

As for Witkowski, well, he did light a fire under the team, something I didn't see a lot of last year. It was some great Old Time hockey.
The tap isn't the point, he engages a banned player leaving the ice twice.

Reactions: Oddbob

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Looks like lashoff is getting called up

got a mug for kenny

captainpicardfacepalmmug_5006acd49aeea.jpg

Reactions: TheMule93

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Not surprised. It's a harsh and very clear rule.

I'm not expect much from the Tkachuk hearing. He's definitely a coward and started the whole thing with his tap to Witkowski, but there's not a whole lot of rules they can charge him with breaking. Maybe the suckerpunches during the scrum but even that's a stretch.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
You knew they would enforce that rule against a non-superstar. As soon as his skates hit the ice again 10 games were coming we even said as much in the GDT last night.

I feel for the guy missing that many game checks. Was perfectly okay with the rough stuff last night. Thought that was an important message for the team to send after Brouwer broke the code last week. They responded in kind. Witkowski is paid to do that, he sent that message leaguewide last night in terms of don't take advantage of my teammates.

Reactions: Ezekial

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
This is terrible news.

I was hoping for Hicketts to get his first look or Hronek. But I will admit I am a huge fan of playing 11 and 7 if it means AA and Larkin see more ice.

You all know I don't like seeing Lashoff at the NHL level at all. But I will say I am a big believer in the 11 and 7 experiment if it is the driving force in trying to really develop AA and Larkin. Blash last night even admitted that is a big driving thought behind going with it. That is great news, he is attempting to put more ice time to our young players and have them try to carry the team. Would like to see Mantha double shifted too occasionally but still the way we are using the 11 and 7 is something I support massively.

I guess we will see who is healthy enough to go though.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I was hoping for Hicketts to get his first look or Hronek. But I will admit I am a huge fan of playing 11 and 7 if it means AA and Larkin see more ice.

You all know I don't like seeing Lashoff at the NHL level at all. But I will say I am a big believer in the 11 and 7 experiment if it is the driving force in trying to really develop AA and Larkin. Blash last night even admitted that is a big driving thought behind going with it. That is great news, he is attempting to put more ice time to our young players and have them try to carry the team. Would like to see Mantha double shifted too occasionally but still the way we are using the 11 and 7 is something I support massively.

I watched all of the postgame last night just to hear mic'd up and I was really happy with what Blash had to say in regards to the kids and I've liked 11 + 7, it works well with how he seems to like to make rotations based on how the game is coming at them and how he sees a player playing that game.
He's given them a longer leash, as expected, and they're embracing it. AA is playing hard all the time, that's what he needs to do. Mantha's mental growth started a couple years ago and is really coming into fruition. Larkin is Larkin, he's a hard worker who seems to be the fast track candidate to captaincy.

I don't think Blash is gonna look back at this point.

If he does need to shake it up at some point I'd like to see him put Hank on Nielsen's wing and AA at 3C. Someone suggested that a couple weeks ago and it's intriguing to me.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Yeah hicketts should have got the call. Hronek is on a hot streak he would’ve been even better perhaps

I don’t mind lashoff being called up. He’s fine for a 7 or 8. But we have better options

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I watched all of the postgame last night just to hear mic'd up and I was really happy with what Blash had to say in regards to the kids and I've liked 11 + 7, it works well with how he seems to like to make rotations based on how the game is coming at them and how he sees a player playing that game.
He's given them a longer leash, as expected, and they're embracing it. AA is playing hard all the time, that's what he needs to do. Mantha's mental growth started a couple years ago and is really coming into fruition. Larkin is Larkin, he's a hard worker who seems to be the fast track candidate to captaincy.

I don't think Blash is gonna look back at this point.

If he does need to shake it up at some point I'd like to see him put Hank on Nielsen's wing and AA at 3C. Someone suggested that a couple weeks ago and it's intriguing to me.

Using the Nielsen checking line though I think allows him to leverage AA and Larkin better.

Blash's comments last night are basically what half this forum has been begging for. He said last year was about lessons at times. That he was hard on them because he wanted them to grow. Now they have and he is going to give them more responsibility and he is happy with it. He is feeding them big minutes, Mantha should have got a few more last night even before the fight but still. He was doing it against Columbus as well.

Listen Blash is coaching for his job this year. I am not surprised he has gone heavily towards the kids here lately they are playing the best. Nielsen and Z still do some heavy lifting defensively, but again he deployed Larkin against McDavid. He is challenging them and they are rising to that challenge. They look a lot better players this year, it could be some of what he is doing did in fact help these guys in terms of development... I know people will hate that.

It is a known thing at this point. The super friends even asked Zetterberg about it and he was all to happy to give them big props and talk about them driving the team right now.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I also think it is worth noting that Blashill said you hear the guys more when Witkowski is in the lineup.

For a depth signing I have really liked Witkowski and what he has brought. Stinks he will be out for 10, but he has provided value to this hockey club thus far in his role. I am always sort of surprised at how well he skates, I know we have been watching it a little while now, but for a rough and tumble guy he can really skate.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Using the Nielsen checking line though I think allows him to leverage AA and Larkin better.

Blash's comments last night are basically what half this forum has been begging for. He said last year was about lessons at times. That he was hard on them because he wanted them to grow. Now they have and he is going to give them more responsibility and he is happy with it. He is feeding them big minutes, Mantha should have got a few more last night even before the fight but still. He was doing it against Columbus as well.

Listen Blash is coaching for his job this year. I am not surprised he has gone heavily towards the kids here lately they are playing the best. Nielsen and Z still do some heavy lifting defensively, but again he deployed Larkin against McDavid. He is challenging them and they are rising to that challenge. They look a lot better players this year, it could be some of what he is doing did in fact help these guys in terms of development... I know people will hate that.

It is a known thing at this point. The super friends even asked Zetterberg about it and he was all to happy to give them big props and talk about them driving the team right now.

What’s interesting is if people still want blash gone. Even if the young guys develop and the team plays well but still misses the playoffs. Could be this year or next but I think it’ll happen.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
What’s interesting is if people still want blash gone. Even if the young guys develop and the team plays well but still misses the playoffs. Could be this year or next but I think it’ll happen.

I understand that people will want Blashill and Holland out regardless. It is still interesting to see what they do this year. It is big for our future. In fact those that argue both Blashill and Holland struggle to address D-man should be emboldened in terms of we are not that far off if we brought in a GM with an eye for D talent and a coach that solves back-end problems bingo bango we are back in business.

I think we need some of the dead money gone first. But they have been a lot more entertaining than I thought they would be. This 11-7 thing really had me pumped and Witkowski was a part of that, again really pleased with this signing. He is going to cross lines but he does help this team in areas.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad