Player Discussion: Luke Schenn

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Meh, he didn't look like an NHL defenseman to me last night. You can see why he hasn't cut it anywhere.

Reactions: Pulpfishin

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Meh, he didn't look like an NHL defenseman to me last night. You can see why he hasn't cut it anywhere.

This

He's at best a #7 who plays a handful of minutes a night anymore. But I'll say he's better than Rutta. It's not saying anything but I know who my choice for #7 is provided it's situational use and at like 10 minutes a night or so including killing penalties if he actually helps at it

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
I thought he had a quiet night, which for him is good. Played 18:48 and was only on the ice for the pp goal against in the 1st minute. He was on the bench for the other 12 goals that were scored during the game.

Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I haven't minded him so far. Not great by any means but brings a presence back there we didnt have besides Cernak.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
There is a chance he gets claimed, his contract is only 800k. I'm not aware of who could use the depth right now though.

Last edited:

NatoGhost

Jun 27, 2013
Why are we waiving him? He's like #6 or #7 D right now isnt he? Even thinking he'll clear (not 100% of course) seems like a risk that's not worth it with our D depth as thin as it is. Hopefully nobody gets injured.

Heddy Rutta
McD Cernak
Sergy Schenn/Foote

Anyone behind them?

Guess they think Foote is ready.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I mean - he's a bad #6/#7 though. He's not good defensively. He's really not good offensively. He's big?

Maybe they are looking to add someone or maybe it's just giving the ice to Foote. Either way, it's an upgrade.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
There's a reason why he only played 25 games with us last season. He's the occasional big body you like to play when we need some toughness. Definitely not an every night player and hasn't been for some time.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Not surprised at all. Schenn's lost a step over the past games and that was very noticeable. He looks like a great guy though. Business decision prevails

NatoGhost

Jun 27, 2013
I agree he's slow just think he's a depth right D which were thin at. And he adds toughness. Hopefully he makes the taxi squad.

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
The only reason he needs to be waived is the cap. Lightning simply can’t afford to carry more than 21

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
The "reason" he was waived was that he hit the days-in-NHL limit.

After a guy clears waivers once, you can call him up and send him back down at will (with no need for waivers) for the greater of 10 NHL games or 30 days on the NHL roster. Days/games you spend in the minors (or taxi squad this year) don't count. He must've hit the 30 days, necessitating waivers on this send-down. Now that he's cleared again, it all resets for him.

Note that they've been moving him up and down a bunch this season. I'm not sure how the day-counting thing works, since it seems like with the taxi squad this year (which gets to practice with the NHL club despite not being on the roster) you could just have him up for game days and down all the other time -- turning the 30-day prong into 30 games. They must have some anti-abuse rule in effect to stop that.

In any case, no surprise that that's the second time we've waived him this year and no one has taken him. I mean, he's Luke Schenn.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad