Player Discussion Luke Schenn

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
I think he's perfectly adequate as a #6. Just not a big fan of him paired with Pettersson due to both of their lack of puck skills. I'd like to see what Mahura could do with either at some point this year.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I don’t think he’s as far ahead of Sustr as everyone thinks, he’s going to get burned when we start playing fast teams.

Who would you rather defending the blueline when McDavid comes down through the centre of the ice with a full head of steam? Sustr who for all his faults at least has some foot speed or Schenn who would be burned every time?

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I don’t think he’s as far ahead of Sustr as everyone thinks, he’s going to get burned when we start playing fast teams.

Who would you rather defending the blueline when McDavid comes down through the centre of the ice with a full head of steam? Sustr who for all his faults at least has some foot speed or Schenn who would be burned every time?
I'd prefer a vacation in Syria than watching either of them defending McDavid

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA

You could put both out, give them a 10 second head start, and McDavid will still score 100/100 times. Cogs and Fowler cant even keep up with McDavid.

Sustr has decent straight line speed, but he reads plays poorly and does not turn well at all.Put him with a stay at home type guy and he’d be ok as a 6. With Petterssen, its pretty ugly.

Reactions: AngelDuck

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California

Well, the third pairing really shouldn't be on the ice against the best player on the planet.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

C - None of the above

AustrianDuck

Aug 3, 2018
Graz, Austria
I´m surprised in a good way by Schenn. Very good contract for a #6 defender, who can throw some hits and will stand up for his teammates.

Right now, I´m more worried about Manson.

Schenn is a solid bottom pairing guy.

Reactions: Kalv

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma

I disagree about Sustr comment, but I agree that he's not ideal against quicker teams. The only game I've missed so far was last night's game (got it recorded and will watch tonight though). Sustr seems to have that Bieksa like quality where he's trying to do too much and gets out of position to frequently. That's why I'm not 100% sure he's any better against quicker teams. Schenn reminds me of a crappier Stoner, which is fine as the 6/7. The Sustr signing is doing what I was worried it'd do. It's keeping Welinski in the minors, when IMO, he's clearly better than Sustr. Ideally we'd be having a similar rotation that we are now, but with Welinski/Schenn, and not Sustr.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
He's been fine as a #6. Perhaps even exceeding incredibly low expectations given he plays within his limits unlike a certain veteran defenceman in the last few years.

Reactions: McDonald19 and Kalv

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
I honestly believe one of the biggest reasons for our success this year is the difference between Schenn and what we had last year in Bieksa. Schenn gives us some much needed toughness but is actually effective back there (take note Dirk). He really rounds out our already very strong d.

PhoenyX

Dec 13, 2009
Toronto
Time to make Schenn a regular on our 3rd pairing me thinks. He's clearly better than Sustr and adds some much needed physicality to our blue line. Sustr is garbage.

branmuffin17

Sep 10, 2014
Santa Ana, CA
I don't know anything about Dotchin other than what's been recently said...but once he's "up to speed," where does that leave Schenn and the others? Cuz I really thought he had a great game last night against the Isles.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
I don't know anything about Dotchin other than what's been recently said...but once he's "up to speed," where does that leave Schenn and the others? Cuz I really thought he had a great game last night against the Isles.
I doubt Dotchin is an issue in Anaheim until at least December (perhaps even as late as January). Guy was apparently 35-40 pounds over his playing weight in pre-season, he's got a ways to go to not only get back into shape then to get his feet back under him in an competitive match environment.

If he does come up to Anaheim eventually I would just assume he replaces Sustr on the big club and rotates with Schenn.

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
I honestly believe one of the biggest reasons for our success this year is the difference between Schenn and what we had last year in Bieksa. Schenn gives us some much needed toughness but is actually effective back there (take note Dirk). He really rounds out our already very strong d.
I doubt it. We're still ass defensively and Gibson has continued to be the reason we're not plunging downward in the standings. Schenn over Bieksa is a definite upgrade though. He's slow, but he knows his limits. Kinda like Stoner but a little more mobile. I don't mind him at all as a #6-7.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
I doubt Dotchin is an issue in Anaheim until at least December (perhaps even as late as January). Guy was apparently 35-40 pounds over his playing weight in pre-season, he's got a ways to go to not only get back into shape then to get his feet back under him in an competitive match environment.

If he does come up to Anaheim eventually I would just assume he replaces Sustr on the big club and rotates with Schenn.
Dude put on 40 lbs in one summer?? Holy wow. That's not just some lazy guy, that seems like some kind of psychological issue.

Reactions: mightyquack

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Dude put on 40 lbs in one summer?? Holy wow. That's not just some lazy guy, that seems like some kind of psychological issue.

In the main board thread there was one Tampa fan who said he had reason to believe there was an issue such as depression involved, but of course that post got buried under dozens of corny fat jokes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad