Luke Schenn

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
Did they ever really give an explanation as to why Schenn was scratched? I am kind of hoping they're playing Gill to get him looks from other teams and get something for him. If they don't trade Gill I won't mind, he's good to have as insurance, but scratching Schenn for Gill seems nuts if it was just to play Gill.

I'm hoping they played Gill cause they thought they needed the vet presence back there (I guess Kimmo is completely useless now) and to see if he would be OK as the 7th if they decided to unload Mez for example. The only explanation, if you can call it that, was that he was looking to shake things up.

I think the Flyers should tell Prongs that his full time job until his contract is up (you know since he's still getting millions) is to be Schenn's personal tutor. :laugh:

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Did they ever really give an explanation as to why Schenn was scratched? I am kind of hoping they're playing Gill to get him looks from other teams and get something for him. If they don't trade Gill I won't mind, he's good to have as insurance, but scratching Schenn for Gill seems nuts if it was just to play Gill.

I think Berube was talking about shaking things up.

Mesz and Gill have been practicing together for a couple of weeks and based on the number of turnovers and defensive breakdowns playing more Veterans actually sounds like a rewarding strategy.The whole league knows Hal Gill and the type of player he is - there is no need to showcase him. He could actually be easily tradeable compared to Mesz and the heavy salary he carries.

I think Schenn and Gus both have higher ceilings but at the moment Berube may just opt for what he thinks is the simple but safe route.

Last edited:

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Luke Schenn's problem IMO is that he doesn't want to except what his role is at the NHL level and tries to do too much. If he played a simpler game like Grossman (chip pucks out, safe passes up the wall, controlled physicality) he would be very effective as a shut down defenseman, just like he was last year. The problem is he tries to do low percentage passes up the middle and huge checks that his skill and skating ability do not allow him to make consistently at the NHL level. I don't know if this is a youth problem or a stubborn problem of a guy who just doesn't want to except the limitations of his talent.

Well when his offense can't score worth of crap, I can see why he tries those plays.

kjbhockey

May 12, 2013
I think Schenn can be a solid NHL defensemen. The probably is people assume just because he was a high pick he's going to be something more than just a 4th or 5th defensemen. He's not Rob Blake or Scott Stevens or Adam Foote but that doesn't mean he can't be a serviceable defensemen. I said from the offset that we got hosed in the trade because JVR's ceiling was much higher than Luke's because he had a much larger sample size for future performance. He needs to trim down a bit on the muscle and become leaner which would help with pivoting and foot speed. He needs to be around 210 to 215 and not 230. This isn't the NFL. Bigger mass wise is not always better.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
So did McCrossin tell Schenn to bulk up or something like that bright idea with Bryz :sarcasm:

But seriously, Schenn to me this year has just been "there." I haven't noticed too much bad play but he hasn't stood out as much as he did last year that is for sure.

PhillyPhaithful

Feb 6, 2012
So did McCrossin tell Schenn to bulk up or something like that bright idea with Bryz :sarcasm:

But seriously, Schenn to me this year has just been "there." I haven't noticed too much bad play but he hasn't stood out as much as he did last year that is for sure.

I agree 100% with this, I was confused why he was being scratched because he hasn't been "bad" just has done nothing like last year, where towards the end of the season was honestly wowing me all the time. I always looked forward to him on the ice. This year it doesn't really matter if he is on it or not. Hopefully scratching him and litting a fire under his ass will pick up his intensity.

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
Not at the time. I still think he can develop into a top shut down dman (hell, he was arguably our best last season). But you don't get young defenseman with high potential in free agency or by trading peanuts unless you get really lucky. The Flyers needed a high ceiling young defender and that's what they got. Whether he reaches that high ceiling is yet to be seen, but I'm certainly not throwing in the towel on a 24 year old kid, who hasn't played nearly as bad as HFBoards wants you to think.

I agree, he needs to be playing!!! I personally just don't ever see him being a #1 or #2 defenseman.

It's amazing how Schenn gets scratched and Timonen is still in the lineup... Absolute BS.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I agree, he needs to be playing!!! I personally just don't ever see him being a #1 or #2 defenseman.

It's amazing how Schenn gets scratched and Timonen is still in the lineup... Absolute BS.

My guess is scratching of Schenn as opposed to the scratching of Timonen has something to do with the fact that Timonen is Timonen. It does happen, but it takes a lot to make a guy like Timonen a healthy scratch. It also sends a message to Schenn: play better or you don't play at all. Guys like Timonen have earned their stripes. They can play through a bad stretch without getting scratched. Obviously if we are entering game 55 or something and he is still playing poorly, that is a different story. But at the start of the year, I doubt a rookie head coach is going to bench his most seasoned and well respected player (especially when the team as a whole is playing as bad as they are).

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I'm talking about at the time of the trade. People are saying the JvR trade was a bad one blah blah blah Homer is stupid. At the time however, Luke was 21 or 22 IIRC, and still had that high potential. Given the passage of time I suppose his may not be as high, but I don't know if it is as low as many of people are saying. He is 24. Most defenders don't hit their stride until 26-27. He's got time.

A 24 year old he is who he is? Come on. The guy has a couple years before he's at that point. Is he going to be a Norris trophy guy? No, I think we all know that. Can he still be a top pair guy? I don't see why not.

not many 24 year old defenseman have 370 games played in the NHL at his age. Let me ask you this. have you seen him getting any better since say his 4th year in the league?
again i dont think hes a bad player. I just think we arent that far away where we can say he has peaked out as who he is.

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
If you put any stock into what Eklund says, Luke is being shopped apparently. I wouldn't completely dismiss it, but it is Eklund. He reports everything he hears and not necessarily what is actually going to happen.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
If you put any stock into what Eklund says, Luke is being shopped apparently. I wouldn't completely dismiss it, but it is Eklund. He reports everything he hears and not necessarily what is actually going to happen.

Yeah I saw that..figured nobody posted it b/c the source is always dubious. Like he said though..even if the Flyers trade him after moving JVR for him it would imply they don't care what the fans think. Kind of obvious though considering Holmgren keeps doing stupid crap..

FlyersFanz

aut viam inveniam au
Jan 26, 2010
BlkVanOutsideUrHouse

Great! Lets keep the 30+ yr old D men and get rid of the young guys...completely Pejorative Slured.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
not many 24 year old defenseman have 370 games played in the NHL at his age. Let me ask you this. have you seen him getting any better since say his 4th year in the league?
again i dont think hes a bad player. I just think we arent that far away where we can say he has peaked out as who he is.

I get what you are saying, but to think that he just won't get better, at age 24, is the same thing as saying he will get better. He's young. Defenders develop later. I'm basing my thoughts on what normally happens, not necessarily Luke Schenn himself. Each case is different, but generally, players don't peak at 24, especially former top 5 picks. It is 100% possible. He may not ever get any better. But based on what happens with 24 year former top five picks, I'm going to say he can get better.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
I really think they need to be patient with L. Schenn, he is still young.

It is embarassing how they are handling Luke, run em out of town. Couts too, kid doesn't score the goals !!!

Get Holmer the **** away from this team, before he does something stupid.

Maybe Couts and Luke to Habs for Prust and Douglas Murray ??:help:

King Forsberg

16 21 28 44 68 88 93
Jul 26, 2010
I'm also on the "let's be patient with Luke" train. This guy was our best defender last year. His struggles this season haven't been entirely his fault, though most of them are, and we can't let 13 games discount the presence he brought on the blue line last year. If Luke can get some confidence then I expect him to be back to where he was last year. Plus his style is really going to compliment guys like Gostisbehere, Gustsfasson, and Hagg once they make it to the team.

#KeepLuke

kolankosf

Jul 5, 2013
Red Deer, Alberta
If they trade Schenn this season, we are going to have a significant hole next year. Timonen will be gone. Mesz will be gone. The only guarantees will be Coburn (If he's not traded) Grossman and Streit. Out of those three who do you pair Gus up with? Which DEFENCE-man is gonna eat 20 mins? Luke Schenn will always be a solid 2nd pairing guy. I agree that Luke needs to simplify his game much like Grossman.

People can complain about the Schenn trade all they want. Hindsight is 20/20, but if you thought he was gonna be a top pairing guy, you got your hopes up. Luke was being scratched and had limited time (Including no PP time) during his last days as a Leaf. The Flyers had scoring wingers and D were coming at a premium. If JVR stayed, he would be struggling on this team just as well. We'd still have a sweet hole on D where Mesz would be required to be a regular. Also before JVR got traded, didn't he hurt his hip and sought out another physician other than the teams doctors? What if he Leino'd his hip? No one would be complaining about the trade then.

jabba2

Oct 28, 2010
I'm also on the "let's be patient with Luke" train. This guy was our best defender last year. His struggles this season haven't been entirely his fault, though most of them are, and we can't let 13 games discount the presence he brought on the blue line last year. If Luke can get some confidence then I expect him to be back to where he was last year. Plus his style is really going to compliment guys like Gostisbehere, Gustsfasson, and Hagg once they make it to the team.

#KeepLuke

Gus needs to start showing something this year. Him and Luke were counted on after their strong finishes to last season. This whole team is in some kind of collective slump and its annoying to watch. Ghost and Hagg are probably 3 years away from top 4 minutes, unless they show extraordinary progress.

jabba2

Oct 28, 2010
If they trade Schenn this season, we are going to have a significant hole next year. Timonen will be gone. Mesz will be gone. The only guarantees will be Coburn (If he's not traded) Grossman and Streit. Out of those three who do you pair Gus up with? Which DEFENCE-man is gonna eat 20 mins? Luke Schenn will always be a solid 2nd pairing guy. I agree that Luke needs to simplify his game much like Grossman.

People can complain about the Schenn trade all they want. Hindsight is 20/20, but if you thought he was gonna be a top pairing guy, you got your hopes up. Luke was being scratched and had limited time (Including no PP time) during his last days as a Leaf. The Flyers had scoring wingers and D were coming at a premium. If JVR stayed, he would be struggling on this team just as well. We'd still have a sweet hole on D where Mesz would be required to be a regular. Also before JVR got traded, didn't he hurt his hip and sought out another physician other than the teams doctors? What if he Leino'd his hip? No one would be complaining about the trade then.

It was a desperation trade that backfired. Holmgren must have felt Schenn was the missing piece to going deep in the playoffs. But going by comments made at the time, people around the league valued JVR more than they do Schenn.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
JVR wasn't going to thrive under Lavi anyway...not even sure if he would under Berube.

JVR noted how Carlyle was a positive influence on him picking up his game....

It really is a bad sign that lots of Flyers are leaving and flourishing elsewhere while the players that come here pick up bad habits and play mediocre like everybody else..

L Schenn seems to be the latest victim of this malaise....hasn't taken long

Mason might be the most recent exception thus far..hopefully

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007

#KeepLuke

Schenn for Goligoski +?

I don't want to see them move Schenn. I think he can develop into a solid #3/#4 dman that brings leadership intangibles.

He seems to get similar criticism to what Brind'amour received early in his career (StL). He spends too much time in the gym and putting on muscle. He's not doing enough skating in the off season. That is something he can learn with experience along with puck decisions. I wouldn't give up on him yet.

King Forsberg

16 21 28 44 68 88 93
Jul 26, 2010
Gus needs to start showing something this year. Him and Luke were counted on after their strong finishes to last season. This whole team is in some kind of collective slump and its annoying to watch. Ghost and Hagg are probably 3 years away from top 4 minutes, unless they show extraordinary progress.
Gustafsson has been getting shafted by the Flyers coaches this year. There's no reason that Meszaros or Gill should be playing over him. When he is playing he's been solid. He's easily an NHL defenseman. If he can get some confidence, not being scratched for no reason would help, then I think he can develop into more. He's shown what he's capable of. If he can do that on a more consistent basis then he can easily be a top 4 option. Hagg and Ghost are as you said a couple of years away. If Schenn can bounce back, and he should, then that's a solid partner for either of them to start with. In 3 years Schenn can certainly refine his game and limit his mistakes.
Schenn for Goligoski +?

I don't want to see them move Schenn. I think he can develop into a solid #3/#4 dman that brings leadership intangibles.

He seems to get similar criticism to what Brind'amour received early in his career (StL). He spends too much time in the gym and putting on muscle. He's not doing enough skating in the off season. That is something he can learn with experience along with puck decisions. I wouldn't give up on him yet.

That + would have to be something good. It's just way too early to give up on Schenn. He absolutely should be working all summer on his skating as should a lot of players on this team. If he work with Pronger, Hatcher, and Timonen in the off season with positioning and puck handling it could work wonders.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad