Sportsnet Luke Fox - NHL Off-Season Power Rankings: Who’s improved most (so far)?

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Just one pundit's opinion but he is projecting the Bruins to be FOURTH in the division but in good shape for a wildcard slot.

NHL Off-Season Power Rankings: Who’s improved most (so far)? - Sportsnet.ca

upload_2018-7-7_13-9-20.png

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
"All teams have been ranked from 1 through 31 according to off-season performance only. (This is not an order of strength heading into 2017-18 but strictly an assessment of recent front office moves.)"

This line kind of tells me this isn't his ranking for where he feels the teams will finish, but strictly ranking them on their offseason improvements (or lack of). Example being that just because he has Florida ahead of Boston as more improved, doesn't mean he would rank Boston 4th in the division. If he was ranking off where he thinks they'll finish, Toronto doesn't scream #1 in the league to me.

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
7Xe6dvo.jpg

GAR is not my favorite stat, but it's there as a one indicator to look at.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
"All teams have been ranked from 1 through 31 according to off-season performance only. (This is not an order of strength heading into 2017-18 but strictly an assessment of recent front office moves.)"

This line kind of tells me this isn't his ranking for where he feels the teams will finish, but strictly ranking them on their offseason improvements (or lack of). Example being that just because he has Florida ahead of Boston as more improved, doesn't mean he would rank Boston 4th in the division. If he was ranking off where he thinks they'll finish, Toronto doesn't scream #1 in the league to me.

That has to be what he is rating otherwise it reads like a comic book.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Luke Fox is out of Toronto and could be found last week at Leafs DC writing about their prospects.

I’m not taking this guy serious when it comes to the Bruins.

You want to know where the Bruins, Leafs, and Tampa stand check in what I say come October

In good shape for a WC lol

How f***ing generous

Apparently Riley Nash was the Bruins mvp

I can’t wait until 2019 Cap chokes the life out of Tampa & Toronto

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
Didn’t read the article but I’m assuming he has us fourth behind Florida. I know that for some reason we couldn’t beat f***ing Florida last year but I have a real tough time imagining them finishing ahead of the Bruins. I still think the B’s could finish ahead of the Leafs, despite all of their Hall of Famers.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Checking nhl stats

The Bruins are 1-4 in all the important offensive and defensive league goals for and against, obviously differential, shots, puck possession

The two areas they weren’t

Save %

They were amazingly negative in power plays for and against which is bizarre considering they usually had the puck more than opposing team (Marchand dislike factor?)

They return the entire defense swapping only Holden for Moore and Khudobin for Halak

McAvoy Carlo Grzelcyk should be bettter and Halak should be an upgrade

The only players removed from the team were Rick Nash who had really only 10 healthy games, Tim Schaller, and Riley Nash

The kids like Donato and Bjork can only contribute more

The two main rookie forwards were DeBrusk and Heinen and each should be better - their track records show improvement

So this gets them 4th ?

Was Riley Nash & Tim Schaller that big ?

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Checking nhl stats

The Bruins are 1-4 in all the important offensive and defensive league goals for and against, obviously differential, shots, puck possession

The two areas they weren’t

Save %

They were amazingly negative in power plays for and against which is bizarre considering they usually had the puck more than opposing team (Marchand dislike factor?)

They return the entire defense swapping only Holden for Moore and Khudobin for Halak

McAvoy Carlo Grzelcyk should be bettter and Halak should be an upgrade

The only players removed from the team were Rick Nash who had really only 10 healthy games, Tim Schaller, and Riley Nash

The kids like Donato and Bjork can only contribute more

The two main rookie forwards were DeBrusk and Heinen and each should be better - their track records show improvement

So this gets them 4th ?

Was Riley Nash & Tim Schaller that big ?
I think you're downplaying the loss of Riley. Losing Rick is not a big deal because we have plenty of scoring depth from the kids on the wings but Riley was an extremely reliable 3rd line C who was able to fill on the 1st line for extended periods of time without much drop off in play. To go from that to not being able to even name our 3rd line C right now is a huge loss.

Reactions: Strafer and BMC

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Halak was garbage last year and pretty much for the past four years.
How’s that ?

The only year prior to 2017-18 his save % was under .915 was 3 years ago and he went 38-17-4 with a .914 save %

Classic case of one bad year clouds his career

Maybe he’s lost it but he owned the Bruins with Montreal was very good with the Blues and had success with arguably a league bottom-third-defense of the islanders.

I wanted Khudobin back but until Cassidy showed up in February 2017 Claude had no confidence in him had run Rask into the ground in 2015-16, was doing the same in 2916-17. Khudobin was 1-6-1 in February 2/3 in, had been even sent down and was a negative target here

Khudobin spent most of three years ago with the San Diego Gulls, was 1-6-1 with a sub 800 Save % in February- had been sent down to Providence in 2016-17 where he was under 900 and had a losing record

But Halak sucks and Khudobin is great

Lol times infinity as you kids like to say

This signing like the Red Sox getting Mitch Moreland last winter is underrated and could pay big dividends

Last edited:

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Luke Fox??? Um, yeah, the guy who wrote some book about rap, think it was 12 stories about rap, he ain`t this fan`s go to guy for a balanced perspective on the NHL
Last year it was the Hockey Writers listing Bruins at 12 in rookie prospects and the Leafs ahead of them. The writer writes a Leafs blog and listed his proudest moment he made eye contact with JVR during warmups.

The Bruins then went out there and led the league in rookie points and while guys like McAvoy DeBrusk Heinen Kuraly Donato Grzelcyk and Bjork saw time in Boston the Leafs prospect Tim Liljegren & Andress Johansson led the Marlies to the Calder Cup.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Last year it was the Hockey Writers listing Bruins at 12 in rookie prospects and the Leafs ahead of them. The writer writes a Leafs blog and listed his proudest moment he made eye contact with JVR during warmups.

The Bruins then went out there and led the league in rookie points and while guys like McAvoy DeBrusk Heinen Kuraly Donato Grzelcyk and Bjork saw time in Boston the Leafs prospect Tim Liljegren & Andress Johansson led the Marlies to the Calder Cup.

didn`t know he had a Leafs blog....ugg. Again, hardly a guy I look to for unbiased and balanced reporting

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
They really can't wait to see the Bruins go down in flames, can they?

Hey, the feeling's mutual about Toronto....getting really tired of this crap and we're not even midway through the summer yet

Reactions: Strafer and caz16

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I never read these preseason articles. Furthermore, off season hasn’t ended yet.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
What exactly is the problem? This is his clearly stated standard for this list:

And he has the Bs 13th, in the top half of the league.

So what did this guy do to get shit on? Which specific teams above them has had a worse off-season? Is it not even debatable? Are we debating egregious mistakes or preference gradients?

I hate that we do this ALL. THE. TIME. We take some columnist who has an absolutely acceptable opinion about the Bruins, a totally non-controversial, milquetoast take, and we rip on him like he's an untalented hack with a vendetta who has gravely insulted us. I don't know this guy, maybe he does suck, but this article and what he wrote about the Bruins seems totally fine, so why are we dedicating a thread to saying he's garbage?

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey

So what did this guy do to get **** on? Which specific teams above them has had a worse off-season? Is it not even debatable? Are we debating egregious mistakes or preference gradients?

I hate that we do this ALL. THE. TIME. We take some columnist who has an absolutely acceptable opinion about the Bruins, a totally non-controversial, milquetoast take, and we rip on him like he's an untalented hack with a vendetta who has gravely insulted us. I don't know this guy, maybe he does suck, but this article and what he wrote about the Bruins seems totally fine, so why are we dedicating a thread to saying he's garbage?

Could not have said it better myself.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I’m guilty of attacking the guy and I did read his assessment but I now hate the f***ing Maple Leafs more than Montreal and find all of them suck ups and Leafs ball washers.

If I could write a script the Leafs score 350 goals and Matthews and Marner bird hit 100 points leading to $10 M + contracts and the Bruins beat them in the playoffs

There fans last year’s playoffs turned me sour and the media coverage and Leafs love is sickening

I hate hate hate them all

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma

So what did this guy do to get **** on? Which specific teams above them has had a worse off-season? Is it not even debatable? Are we debating egregious mistakes or preference gradients?

Had a post similar to this half typed up but hit the back button on my phone accidentally and lost it.

Thank you for saying what I was too lazy to redo

Reactions: DKH and EverettMike

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->