Prospect Info: Luke Evangelista #42 Overall Pick

IceColdOx

Jan 29, 2019
Watertown, NY
The London Knights have an impressive history of developing NHL talent in recent years. Under the leadership of Mark Hunter and Dale Hunter, they also have a reputation for slowly developing their young talent. For this reason, when 17-year-old winger Luke Evangelista earned a big role on this year’s team it made prospect watchers take notice. Evangelista made the most of the opportunities he was given. He put up 23 goals and 38 assists for 61 points in 62 games. While Evangelista did get plenty of even-strength time, he did not get much on the power play. Only two of his 61 points came with the man advantage.

Evangelista was the 14th overall pick in the 2018 OHL Draft. He did not make a big impression in his rookie season though, scoring just two assists in 27 games. He was a scratch throughout the Knights 2019 playoff run. Evangelista also played for Team Canada White at the 2018 Under-17 World Hockey Challenge. He scored just one assist in five tournament games. Evangelista comes from a hockey family. His cousin is Toronto Maple Leafs president, and Hockey Hall of Fame Player, Brendan Shanahan.

Luke Evangelista Scouting Report: 2020 NHL Draft #39

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
EjvWOvNXsAApPHB

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
I'll take credit for that pick :laugh::laugh::laugh: I suggested him to my source with the team before the Kunin trade.

I really wanted him with the Sharks early 2nd but I'm just as happy he ends up a Pred.

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
I think we're done hearing about ''steals of the draft'' at draft day, these picks don't seem to come to fruition

But I'm always hopeful.

That's the nature of 2nd round picks - a lot of them aren't going to play in the NHL. Personally, I think Evangelista is a mid - late 1st rounder. Great hockey sense and busts his ***. Could be a middle six winger.

DontEverTouchMyPuck

Jul 30, 2018
London Knights STH here....
With Evangelista, you guys got a steal. This kid flew under the radar because he's not flashy. He should have gone 1st round.
He's a high-skill, never-quit fighter. Great in corners.
London's coach Dale Hunter plays veterans. Period. And yet Evangelista played first unit PK, which told us how much coach trusted him.
He's got great hands and his head is always up. Great vision and smart, smart, smart. A coach's dream player.
He plays tougher than his size and he is still filling out. A late bloomer.
Big thing we liked about him is that when he wasn't getting played in his first year (he was only getting into 1/3 of the games, and even then, only 2 minutes a game) he never quit. The offseason, he said he punched in and put in the work. And when he came back for his sophomore season, he was a beast out there.
Earned his way onto the top line of a team that had 9 NHL draft picks on the roster. Never saw PP time, but still was a PPG.
We love this kid - mature, positive, never quits.
In a couple years, y'all will be wearing his jersey. Enjoy.

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
Heard on NHL Network Sirius radio channel some guys (I don't know who they were, I think the show was Power Play) talking about their surprise picks and one guy said this was his. He said he had Evangelista about 10-15 picks higher, but that he really liked this pick for the Preds. He said that this could be one of the best picks of the draft.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I would've gone with Mysak over him because Gunler was taken just before our pick but this is probably not the worst pick.

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
You look at the players that have come through the London Knights system over the years and it alone should be enough to get you excited. They know what they're doing down there. Then you read all this stuff about him as a player and the high praise and you just cant help yourself.

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
Predators prospect Luke Evangelista is on the rise. ‘He’s going to take off’

Evangelista article on the Athletic (paywall) this morning. He definitely strikes me as a player who could have a huge draft+1 year with an increased role in the OHL. London doesn't normally lean on it's younger players for offense still finished 5th(? I think) in team scoring, the majority of his points coming at even strength.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I hadn't looked up Evangelista this season, but I was wondering why nobody was talking about him as one of our top prospects. Makes sense if he hasn't been playing and it's thrilling to know that he'll get some action soon and experience pro-level hockey, even if it's the weird 20-21 AHL version.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->