Online Series: Luke Cage (season 2)

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa

Makes me think they should have shorts about some of them having an decathlon style competition. Way to merge the universe in short films like Cage, Cap, Bucky, Jessica Jones, Thor, etc.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I've only watched 4 so far. Liking it, Misty and Colleen kick ass. Another excellent look over the world we live in and how people of color are treated, showing the hoops they have to jump through etc.

The one thing that is a little annoying is the Jamaican English, at times with some of the actors it's hard to get some of what they are saying.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I've only watched 4 so far. Liking it, Misty and Colleen kick ass. Another excellent look over the world we live in and how people of color are treated, showing the hoops they have to jump through etc.

The one thing that is a little annoying is the Jamaican English, at times with some of the actors it's hard to get some of what they are saying.

I have to admit, if I didn't have Finnish subtitles on, I'd have hard time trying to figure out some of the words. Probably best to put the English subs on?

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
I'm like 8 episodes in and it's meh so far. Bushmaster is really the only intriguing character, at least he's stuck around, unlike Cottonmouth in season 1. Mariah still makes me wanna dive head first off a cliff.

Some of the dialogue is really cringey though. It's like some guy in his 40s just went on twitter to see what "the kids are saying these days" and wrote some lines in. The Titantic door conversation is one that comes to mind, that was a twitter meme, there was a few other forced pop culture references in there that were awful that I'm luckily forgetting right now. Also OMG that dab at the end of episode 1 almost made me wanna quit watching.

Also I was legit cracking up every time Comanche was on the screen. I just couldn't take him seriously since he's played by former NFL RB Thomas Jones :laugh:.
And I obviously didn't get to the end yet, but I wonder where they go with Cage's dad in the future, since Reg E. Cathey died IRL, that's assuming the character even survives the season.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Episode 9... Damn, that reveal. I have to say that they've really done great work on character development on pretty much all characters. This would probably be the equivalent of several years of comicbook issues in about two seasons.

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
I'm 7 episodes in... pretty disappointed so far. The show lacks focus and momentum. Not a fan of Bushmaster as the villain either. A villain who wants revenge because his ancestors were wrong... it's just so uninspired compared to the villains of Cottonmouth, Kilgrave and Kingpin. Maybe there's something there that I'm not picking up on, but I find him to be a weak villain. Honestly, these shows need to shortened the amount of episodes per season, this season has massive pacing problems for me.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
I'm 7 episodes in... pretty disappointed so far. The show lacks focus and momentum. Not a fan of Bushmaster as the villain either. A villain who wants revenge because his ancestors were wrong... it's just so uninspired compared to the villains of Cottonmouth, Kilgrave and Kingpin. Maybe there's something there that I'm not picking up on, but I find him to be a weak villain. Honestly, these shows need to shortened the amount of episodes per season, this season has massive pacing problems for me.

Keep watching.

you'll see that Mariah is the real villain. You actually start to sympathize with Bushmaster towards the end. I mean, he's still a villain, just not THE villain.

Burnoutboi

Jul 3, 2006
Grande Prairie, Alberta
I struggled a bit with this one. Some episodes were much better than others. Like it was said earlier in the thread chopping this series down by an episode or three might have been helpful.

Way too much Mariah and Shades for me. The low point of the series for me was Tilda’s song.

I did like Misty and Colleen. I thought their segment was one of the high spots of the season, even if it was too brief.

Overall I like the marvel Netflix products, but just about every series seems to drag on a bit too long.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
I think instead of giving each another season they should just do a Cage/Iron Fist team up. Power Man and Iron Fist. Especially since IF was pretty bad and LC has been hit or miss. Season 1 of LC was awesome until the villain switch. Season 2 some episodes/scenes were cringe and others had me hooked.

Speaking of season 3 I just realized the Easter Egg at the end setting up the villain.

Tilda/Nightshade. She had her hair/headband like the comics.
dr__nightshade_by_primeop.jpg

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Just finished the season. Very interesting ending. Did not see that coming. Though I'm hoping instead of a 3rd season, we'll get a Luke Cage & Iron Fist joint season. I can think that this season could be appreaciated by those people whio prefer the more grounded super heroes and heavy emphasis on character development and drama.

NameInUse

Sep 27, 2017
Finished the season... I really enjoyed it, but I can't help to wonder if the series wouldn't be better if they went to a villain of the week (episode) format... as it stands, they could have easily told the entire storyline of season 2 in about 4 episodes without missing anything critical...

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Overall I liked it. This is easily the most politically charged of the 5 Netflix series from Marvel. Matt has his battle with his religion, Jessica has her battles with alcohol and being an abused woman who now has all this power, Punisher has PTSD (from war and the death of his family) and Iron Fist has....ummm being rich? Ok I guess losing his parents and coming back to western society after decades away.

Cage's internal battle as a black man with these powers are as big of a struggle for him as his battles with Bushmaster, Mariah and all the gangsters he faces. The way people build him up and the start bringing him down is something we see everyday in our society. He wants to do the right thing, stop the drugs, the violence but he has his internal battle with were he should draw the line for how violent he can be before becoming what he is trying to stop to keep Harlem safe.

The series ends on an interesting note with him basically replaying Mariah while ensuring Mysti and others that he will not become her, that he will keep the gangs in line without becoming a gangster himself. Will be interesting to see where it goes. We are likely to see the ramifications in the second season of Iron Fist before we do in a third season of Luke Cage as he is supposed to appear a fair bit in Iron Fist to the point some were calling in potentially a Heroes for Hire series more than an Iron Fist one.

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
I liked this ten times more than the first season. Bushmaster was actually an interesting character. Mariah was still annoying, but it was tolerable this time.

I'm interested to see if Luke goes Heel and what they do with Tilda.

Flash20

DC Homer
Oct 16, 2009
Buffalo
Ohh please you think anything outside DC sucks...

That show was so boring and they completely ruined the show when they killed off Cottonmouth up to that point the show was a perfect 10 then it went straight down

And I have said many times DC has Been absolute trash besides wonder woman

Flash20

DC Homer
Oct 16, 2009
Buffalo
Iron Fist, Luke Cage, they're all being moved to the Disney streaming service.

Off the Marvel topic Kimmy Schmidt was cancelled also.

How are they going to do defenders if Netflix has Jessica Jones and daredevil ?

I’m hoping they just re-boot iron fist that was just absolutely horrendous

Reactions: Wrigley

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
before you all jump for joy

in 2019 Marvel and Disney and launching an online VOD like DC just has and the contracts for Netflix and Disney needed to be renegotiated for the two series that got cancelled

feeling on a few marvel boards is we will see both series--with a soft reboot in 2020 in the Marvel Disney VOD site

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad