Prospect Info: Lukas Jasek - No. 174 pick 2015 Entry Draft

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
He works hard defensively and has NHL skating but he has no playmaking ability at all and can't hit his wingers with passes on the rush. He is very diligent along the wall though and digs out a surprising amount of pucks given his modest size. But there again, that's in the wingers toolkit.

Look, I'm not saying he's a great prospect or anything, just that he's found money and that the Canucks have wasted a year of his development. Not the end of the world, and, in fact, to quote the great hockey philosopher Todd Bertuzzi once again 'it is, what it is.'

That doesn't sound promising at all. His playmaking ability was one reason for moving him to C no?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
For a sixth round draft pick, Jasek has probably already exceeded expectations. He's been adequate at the AHL level....not sure center ice is his best position, but the Comets don't have a lot of other options.

But then not a lot of sixth round draft picks even make the NHL, must less have an impact once they get there. So there's a possibility he's simply reached his ceiling.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Not sure Jasek will ever be an NHL player, but this is far better than sitting around for the next six months waiting to see if the AHL starts up again.

Like a lot of teams in the NHL, Canucks have a serious headache on their hands trying to figure out what to do with players that don't make the NHL roster. For this reason, they may not have any choice but to keep guys like Juolevi, Rathbone, DiPietro and Lind on the NHL rosters this fall.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
The Canadian NHL teams should pool their resources and play an extended prospect tournament in a bubble somewhere in December/January. 15-20 games, with plenty of time for practicing, etc.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Not sure Jasek will ever be an NHL player, but this is far better than sitting around for the next six months waiting to see if the AHL starts up again.

Like a lot of teams in the NHL, Canucks have a serious headache on their hands trying to figure out what to do with players that don't make the NHL roster. For this reason, they may not have any choice but to keep guys like Juolevi, Rathbone, DiPietro and Lind on the NHL rosters this fall.

Having Rathbone, Juolevi, Lind stick around as extended black aces getting spot duty isn't the worst idea, but DiPietro needs to play, and needs to play a lot.

orcatown

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
For a sixth round draft pick, Jasek has probably already exceeded expectations. He's been adequate at the AHL level....not sure center ice is his best position, but the Comets don't have a lot of other options.

But then not a lot of sixth round draft picks even make the NHL, must less have an impact once they get there. So there's a possibility he's simply reached his ceiling.

Agree that he is better than most 6th rounders and that he was likely out of position at center due to the Comets having no other centers.

Might disagree that he showed much in Utica last season. Thought he was mostly poor.

Had that fury of points when he arrived at the end of the season a couple of years ago but that proved a flash in the pan. (remember how his agent was comparing him to Elias) Would say his chances of an NHL career are over.

You do start to wonder with all the players heading overseas, etc, just who the Canucks will have to play in Utica.

Reactions: Bad Goalie

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
if there are going to be a lot of nhl teams trying to find their prospects half season loan slots in europe i amnot sure how easy that will be. i suspect jasek got a gig on such favourable terms because he is seen as fairly likely to end up back home after his canuck contract ends so they are recruiting him. you would think guys like depietro and lind with nhl futures will be harder to find slots for half a season that would disrupt the european club.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
The Canadian NHL teams should pool their resources and play an extended prospect tournament in a bubble somewhere in December/January. 15-20 games, with plenty of time for practicing, etc.

yep streamed tournaments with ppv revenue seems more likely.

the ahl cannot play without fans in seats or it will bleed cash. the pandemic has to be over in the us for that to happen.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
yep streamed tournaments with ppv revenue seems more likely.

the ahl cannot play without fans in seats or it will bleed cash. the pandemic has to be over in the us for that to happen.

Yeah I'm really talking myself into this. You could have a round-robin followed by a march madness-style elimination tournament. It would be great.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
It was worth a shot to bring him over but he's clearly topped out as a middle six AHLer so I'd rather see the contract spot used on someone else, hopefully a defensive center to eventually replace Beagle or a shutdown type Defenceman

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
They tried to make a center out of him, which is obviously an organizational need But clearly the results weren't really there. And you can hardly fault him for taking more money to play in Finland.

Coming west to Abbotsford on a minor league salary, with the cost of living on the Lower Mainland, won't be a picnic for any players. Jasek did about as well as you can probably expect for a sixth round draft pick. Actually got signed and spent three years in the Canucks minor league system.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
I would rather him play in the Liga then the AHL. I would say SM-liga is at a higher level then the AHL was last year, plus he is makes more playing there. If he really didnt want to try and make the NHL he would have gone back the the Czech league and signed for multiple years

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I mean.....at best this guy was a long shot to develop into a 4th liner or call-up player when injuries hit. There's probably more than a few undrafted/unsigned free agent prospects that will be available this summer that have similar or even more upside.

I honestly don't think this is even relevant for the Canucks, but more so for Abbotsford AHL fans.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Ya I don’t think Jasek was going anywhere as a prospect. Hope Plasek can adequately replace him given that he is signed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->