Prospect Info: Lukas Jasek - No. 174 pick 2015 Entry Draft

Black Noise

Flavourtown
Aug 7, 2014
North Vancouver
Maybe he'll follow the same career path as David Pastrnak.....had pretty pedestrian stats in Allcvenskan, didn't do much in the AHL and for his first couple of seasons in the NHL, then exploded in the last two seasons. Probably one of the best players in these NHL playoffs. Sometimes it takes Czech players awhile to adapt, but once they figure it out, look out.
What the f*** is this?

Pastrnak had 28 points in 25 games in the AHL and 27 points in 46 games in the NHL the year after he was drafted.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
about 4 or 5 yrs ago i listened to a podcast that discussed the state of Czech hockey and how they had fallen off. I wish i could remember the source but the jist is the guy they were talking too was boasting about how they had a wave of exceptional players coming soon. He mention Zacha and Pastrnak and Vrana and said there was more to come. Boasted about Kladno and Kometo and how they had some great athletes and some amazing development programs that had been reformed. Boy was he right.

Jasek Zadina Necas Chytil First ever Hlinka gold medal. Czech republic is legit again and it's great to see. I would absolutely be interested in Jenik

Reactions: jeromemorrow

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Maybe he'll follow the same career path as David Pastrnak.....had pretty pedestrian stats in Allcvenskan, didn't do much in the AHL and for his first couple of seasons in the NHL, then exploded in the last two seasons. Probably one of the best players in these NHL playoffs. Sometimes it takes Czech players awhile to adapt, but once they figure it out, look out.

Why do you always need to do this?

Zarpan

Apr 27, 2010
Vancouver

I think you must be talking about a different David Pastrnak...

Reactions: y2kcanucks

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

LOL what?

duplo

prince kasspian
Nov 4, 2010
Vancouver

this post will be held against you for the rest of your hfboards life

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
What the **** is this?

Pastrnak had 28 points in 25 games in the AHL and 27 points in 46 games in the NHL the year after he was drafted.
So what?....Jasek had seven points in six AHL games so according to my calculations that's a ppg pace. And posters do understand that Pastrnak lasted until 25th pick in the "014 draft....some the players picked ahead of him included guys like Virtanen, Vrana, Perlini, DeAngelo, Honka, Milano and Tuch....Heck even Jimbo and the Canucks thought McCann was a better prospect, picking him at 24th overall.

There was virtually nothing in Pastrnak's amateur and AHL stats, including his first couple of years in the NHL (27 points and 26 points respectively) to indicate he'd be breakout player. So could a kid like Jasek mirror his career path?....a remote possibility agreed....but who can rule it out?

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
So what?....Jasek had seven points in six AHL games so according to my calculations that's a ppg pace. And posters do understand that Pastrnak lasted until 25th pick in the "014 draft....some the players picked ahead of him included guys like Virtanen, Vrana, Perlini, DeAngelo, Honka, Milano and Tuch....Heck even Jimbo and the Canucks thought McCann was a better prospect, picking him at 24th overall.

There was virtually nothing in Pastrnak's amateur and AHL stats, including his first couple of years in the NHL (27 points and 26 points respectively) to indicate he'd be breakout player. So could a kid like Jasek mirror his career path?....a remote possibility agreed....but who can rule it out?

If Jasek was going to mirror Pastrnak's career path, he would have been putting up PPG in the AHL two years ago at age 18, not now at age 20. Pastrnak put up 27 and 26 points in 46 and 51 games, respectively, in his first two NHL seasons. That's better than 0.5 ppg at ages 19 and 20. That's more than enough indication that he could have been a breakout player. Tell me what Jasek did in his age 19 and 20 seasons.

There's just no comparison with Pastrnak.

Jevo

Oct 3, 2010
Pastrnak didn't blow away Allsvenskan, but that's where you stop being right. He was PPG in his D+1 year, played half the season in the NHL and posted 0.6 PPG. That's the numbers of a player who's going to be good. He was the most scoring player at his age in the AHL and the NHL that year. Better than Nylander, Fiala. In his D+2 season he scored at a similar clip in the NHL, but there was no one from his draft class who had a significantly better PPG than Pastrnak, the top guys all hovered slightly above 0.5 PPG. There's nothing pedestrian about that production, and there was plenty indication that he could become a breakout player. Unless you think there was no indication that Ehlers and Nylander would become breakout players either.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i think the comparison is fine if what you are saying is "maybe he will turn out to be as good relative to his draft position as another czech player, pastrnak". he doesn't need to be as good as pastrnak, just relatively better than expected to the same extent.

Black Noise

Flavourtown
Aug 7, 2014
North Vancouver

f***ing 6 game sample size warrants a comparison to Pastrnak? Jesus Christ.

Also Jasek is in his draft+3, in Pastrnak's draft+3 he put up 70 points in the NHL.

But yes, very similar career paths lmao

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Good for Jasek, good for Benning not doing something idiotic for once. Glad to see he's at least useful for Utica in the short term.

It was 80% sarcastic.

I don't like stockpiling picks after successful drafts if my team is already successful. Let's say the Tampa Bay Lightning have another amazing draft, with what looks like 4-5 sure-fire NHLers on the way. I think the following season, they probably look to move out draft picks for core veterans, or move on from older players a season or two earlier, because logjams can hurt development if ice time isn't available.

The Canucks aren't currently successful, so the above strategy would require a lot more finesse than what one can reasonably expect.

In my nightmares the Canucks' upper management thinks like this. They saw the "disaster" that was the Luongo versus Schneider situation and decided that too many good players was a huge problem to be avoided at all costs. Years later, here we are.

You always need good young players coming up. That's how Chicago managed to win 3 cups; they always had a stream of fresh talent coming up to replace the guys who got too expensive to fit under the cap. There is no such thing as having too many good prospects. Maybe really shitty managers like Benning think that's a thing because it requires the manager to sign good contracts, watch the cap space, keep to an internal budget, judge which players are good enough to be keepers and make good trades to fill holes with the lesser lights...none of which Benning is any bloody good at.

Let's say Tampa has another amazing draft where it looks like 4-5 surefire NHLers are on the way. That means Yzerman has 4-5 more good options on his table. He can pick and choose the best of the bunch and allow a real meritocracy to take place. You're good enough to play? Then you play. You're not? You sit or get traded for support players, depth dmen, or whatever they need at the time. The more players you have, the more choices you can make.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007

An 18 year old PPG AHLer certainly indicates a reasonable likelihood of being a breakout player. Also, it can definitely be ruled out that Jasek will “mirror his career path” since he’d have to go back in time and play in the NHL to be able to do so. Stop.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
i think the comparison is fine if what you are saying is "maybe he will turn out to be as good relative to his draft position as another czech player, pastrnak". he doesn't need to be as good as pastrnak, just relatively better than expected to the same extent.

so its really dumb

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Maybe compare him with Dylan Strome instead. Same draft a little younger, similar ago production.

I am joking but nice getting a prospect from no where. CHL teams did not want him then he does well in the Ahl instead. 2015 draftees improved a lot this year hope the 2016 draftees prove something next year.

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
benning has been trying to sign him since last season. the czech team that has him under contract until the end of next season doesn't want to let him go. i assume this is either a move either to lure jasek or for the canucks to evaluate whether it is worth whatever it will cost to get him under contract.

He's what actually happened. Some good info from Jasek's agent Allan Walsh.

“Under the Czech-NHL transfer agreement, if any player drafted signs an NHL contract, their Czech deal is terminated,” Walsh said.
“But up till now, and understandably so, Vancouver didn’t have enough information or coverage before he came to Utica to offer him an NHL contract.
“This how it got brokered. When a player is signed from Europe where the country is a party to the IIHF transfer agreement, and Czech Republic is one of them, the (club team) gets $240,000 in transfer fees from the NHL.
“What we said to Liberec (Jasek’s club team) was that it was in their best interest to let him go right away since the season was over on an ATO.
“Get him to Utica, let him play games so he could earn himself a contract and they could get the transfer fees which is what they really wanted.
“It was potentially win-win for everyone.”

Just how did Lukas Jasek go from nowhere to legit prospect in seven games? Hint: It took three years

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
He's what actually happened. Some good info from Jasek's agent Allan Walsh.

Just how did Lukas Jasek go from nowhere to legit prospect in seven games? Hint: It took three years

that is interesting to complete the story, thanks.

there was a benning quote a while back saying he was trying to get him over but having problems with the czech team. i thought that meant they couldn't sign him. i assume this quote from your article is what that was about.

“You see that a lot in the Czech Republic. We had talked to him, and were trying to get him to play major junior in Canada but we couldn’t get him released from his contract to do that."

Charles Bushman

Apr 22, 2018
that is interesting to complete the story, thanks.

there was a benning quote a while back saying he was trying to get him over but having problems with the czech team. i thought that meant they couldn't sign him. i assume this quote from your article is what that was about.

“You see that a lot in the Czech Republic. We had talked to him, and were trying to get him to play major junior in Canada but we couldn’t get him released from his contract to do that."
This is basically a free prospect. I had no hopes for this player just by glancing at his numbers over the past few seasons. Hopefully he plays in the top six in Utica next year and can put up some numbers.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Can someone give me an update on Jasek in Utica

How is his overall game, strengths and weaknesses?
Can he make it to the nhl?

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Can someone give me an update on Jasek in Utica

How is his overall game, strengths and weaknesses?
Can he make it to the nhl?
He has played every game this year out of position at center so it's hard to gauge his potential to play wing in the NHL since he hasn't played wing since last year and he can't play center. In other words, he has wasted this season of development.

According to Benning the Canucks don't want him to play center but had no other option than to put him there because they have no AHL centers under contract other than Carter Camper and the season-long injured Tyler Graovac who has played a grand total of six games for the Comets this year.

So it's impossible to guess at Jasek's NHL prospects based on his play out of position at center this year. Certainly the move to center has been a complete failure. No one can deny that. Since he has not had a chance to develop his game at his natural position, having watched all of his games this year is really no advantage in trying to muster an accurate assessment of his NHL potential. Sorry about that.

Last edited:

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
He has played every game this year out of position at center so it's hard to gauge his potential to play wing in the NHL since he hasn't played wing since last year and he can't play center. In other words, he has wasted this season of development.

How is he defensively? Playing C usually requires a forward to be better defensively.

I think you're being a bit harsh there. Jasek was always going to be a long shot to make it to the NHL. Honestly, except for his start in Utica, he's given no indication that he would develop into a top 6 winger at the NHL level. In fact, he's basically struggled to produce offensively until he got to Utica. I think most Canucks fans wrote him off as a prospect until his hot start in Utica. The odds are he would never make it as a skilled offensive winger in the NHL. It might be a good idea to see if he can provide some versatility

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
How is he defensively? Playing C usually requires a forward to be better defensively.

I think you're being a bit harsh there. Jasek was always going to be a long shot to make it to the NHL. Honestly, except for his start in Utica, he's given no indication that he would develop into a top 6 winger at the NHL level. In fact, he's basically struggled to produce offensively until he got to Utica. I think most Canucks fans wrote him off as a prospect until his hot start in Utica. The odds are he would never make it as a skilled offensive winger in the NHL. It might be a good idea to see if he can provide some versatility
He works hard defensively and has NHL skating but he has no playmaking ability at all and can't hit his wingers with passes on the rush. He is very diligent along the wall though and digs out a surprising amount of pucks given his modest size. But there again, that's in the wingers toolkit.

Look, I'm not saying he's a great prospect or anything, just that he's found money and that the Canucks have wasted a year of his development. Not the end of the world, and, in fact, to quote the great hockey philosopher Todd Bertuzzi once again 'it is, what it is.'

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->