Prospect Info: Luka Burzan, RW, 171st Overall

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway
HP:

Burzan put together a stronger season this year as a 2nd time eligible. the former 6th overall Bantam draft pick finished the year with 40 goals and 38 assists. There were major improvements in his game, but he still left some questions.

Burzan is an explosive skater who is extremely strong and well balanced on his edges. Can explode up ice and has pull away speed, never at risk from back pressure. On top of this open ice ability, Burzan is very quick and elusive in the corners. Burzan showcased the ability to make moves in tight on opponents this year while maintaining possession of the puck, allowing his explosiveness to be even more of a difference maker. Burzan also has a very heavy shot that he uses with frequency, as more of a shooter than playmaker. Burzan doesn’t often display the ability to make complex plays through traffic, and sometimes can be too much of an individual on the ice. On top of this Burzan was often invisible for periods at a time before flashes of good play. Despite all the physical tools Burzan does not play with the fire and intensity to maximize his abilities.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
So much speed and skill, so little effort and drive. Not a bad pick for the 6th round though. Doubt he ever gets more than a cup of coffee in the NHL though.

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio
So much speed and skill, so little effort and drive. Not a bad pick for the 6th round though. Doubt he ever gets more than a cup of coffee in the NHL though.

How dare you?!

giphy.gif

Reactions: Tommy Shelby

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Reminds me of a poor man's Kessel. He can score off the rush and he can score around the net. What I like about him more than the other posters here is that even though he was an overager, out of his 78 points only 26% of them were on the powerplay which is quite low. That means that majority of his points, 74% were even strength and that is with a potentially low-drive. I think he learned quite a bit when he was passed over last year and I thought he was much more consistent this time around. Of course his play away from the puck is still quite bad and he is quite a soft player, but similar to JC Beaudin I am a buyer of his skill set. Lets see if something clicks by being selected and lights a fire under his ass to take the next step.

Other comparison style is that of Gustav Nyqvist/Mikkel Boedker.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
He was pretty good for the Wheat Kings. The one concerning thing is he’s a bit older, but he’s got a great shot. Probably not bad for a late round pick. Hope he pans out for you guys! Good luck

Reactions: Pokecheque

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Nice value and good skill here in the 6th. Wish they'd make more picks like this in the middle rounds.

Reactions: arun

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
For the sixth round, this is as good an upside pick as you can reasonably make. Major red flags on the effort front but what do you expect at this stage of the draft? Everybody has holes and major things to improve on, Burzan at least has a solid toolbox to work with.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Very good value at this pick. Very good upside. Unfortunately one of the toughest thing to improve in a player is effort and work ethic. Once in a while a player will get it but most of the time you either have it or you don't. He just misses by a few days to be able to go to the AHL so he will be returning to Brandon. if he can turn this part of his game around we might have a player here.

Reactions: MrPeePee

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
People mature at different rate. I suspect this guy isn't good enough to get by on talent alone and how he reacts when he finds out will determine how he does.

Reactions: LTC Pain

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad