Post-Game Talk: Lucky Canucks def. Sens - 4-1 (Boeser x 2, Pettersson, Pearson)

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
I will say this: the Senators outshot the Canucks again, this time by a margin of 36-to-25 but overall I am surprised at how truly awful the Senators are and why is Brady playing wing?

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
High digerati chances are reduced, but who has the puck? Who is blocking shots, and getting trapped in their own end defending rather than attacking?
The Sens are a very low skilled team, so their possession doesn’t generate high danger chances at the same rate teams with elite skill will do. Was the improvement system play, or was the reduction in high danger chances the Sens are just bad?

We can compare game 2 first period, which was rock bottom in terms of defensive play, with first period of game 3. Fewer shots and much less in the high danger zones. Same low level Sens team, only difference was that we confined their possession to the boards and along the corners. It meant they could really only manage point shots.

Will this adjustment work against an actual NHL roster? I guess we'll find out on Saturday.

Reactions: Luckylarry

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
Lawrence, a lot of those shots weren’t dangerous. The Canucks can snipe with the best teams in the league. Playing possum and allowing perimeter shots isn’t the end of the world. Despite the shot advantage for Ottawa the three games were all won easily

I have to agree here, I’d the Canucks had questionable goaltending we would play a different system, one where we suppress the shots and clog up the neutral zone, it’s a boring style and it leads to few chances the other way, it’s also exhausting for the players to chase and box like it’s always killing a penalty. Our 5 on 5 has a long ways to do but the shot count isn’t a very good indicator of the outcome of a period or game without the advanced metrics

Reactions: DonnyNucker

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I have to agree here, I’d the Canucks had questionable goaltending we would play a different system, one where we suppress the shots and clog up the neutral zone, it’s a boring style and it leads to few chances the other way, it’s also exhausting for the players to chase and box like it’s always killing a penalty. Our 5 on 5 has a long ways to do but the shot count isn’t a very good indicator of the outcome of a period or game without the advanced metrics
Do you guys bother to look at advanced metrics or heat maps?

Last night was better but again this is Ottawa. Other than that they give up an incredibly high amount of scoring chances and they tend to give up shots from the slot.

This idea they hold teams to the outside isn’t based on facts.

If they play like this against the good teams I expect the goals against to go up.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Winnipeg will be a good measuring stick game.

I obviously don't think we're as good as the +13 scoring differential in the three games versus Ottawa suggests, but I do think we're better than the team that started the season with a 2-5 record and a 4.71 goals against average. Now that we have some confidence, and a few good warm up games under our belt, and are back to .500, let's see where this goes.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
Do you guys bother to look at advanced metrics or heat maps?

Last night was better but again this is Ottawa. Other than that they give up an incredibly high amount of scoring chances and they tend to give up shots from the slot.

This idea they hold teams to the outside isn’t based on facts.

If they play like this against the good teams I expect the goals against to go up.
Top to bottom: 1/25 vs. 1/27 vs. 1/28

There was a progressive decrease in shots conceded in the slot and more out towards the side walls and the points as the Canucks started to make adjustments in their defensive zone coverage. Like you, I'll be interested to see how these adjustments fare vs. a bona fide NHL team like the Jets.

20202021-20092-all.png

20202021-20108-all.png

20202021-20117-all.png

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Lawrence, a lot of those shots weren’t dangerous. The Canucks can snipe with the best teams in the league. Playing possum and allowing perimeter shots isn’t the end of the world. Despite the shot advantage for Ottawa the three games were all won easily

canucks played an incredibly disciplined version of possum in the playoffs and with the benefit of great goaltending it took them farther than the sum of their parts. i don't think you can do that in the regular season. it is asking too much of players to play that way mistake free and it is psychologically damaging to be on the back foot so much.

Reactions: geebaan

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
canucks played an incredibly disciplined version of possum in the playoffs and with the benefit of great goaltending it took them farther than the sum of their parts. i don't think you can do that in the regular season. it is asking too much of players to play that way mistake free and it is psychologically damaging to be on the back foot so much.
When people twist the results instead of being objective you get analysis like this.

The middle of the ice is where the opposition got their offense in the playoffs.

The heat maps vs Vegas and St Louis look just like that first Ottawa game.

This possum/rope a dope idea is just the Canucks being poor defensively and not being able to get out of their end.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
We can compare game 2 first period, which was rock bottom in terms of defensive play, with first period of game 3. Fewer shots and much less in the high danger zones. Same low level Sens team, only difference was that we confined their possession to the boards and along the corners. It meant they could really only manage point shots.

Will this adjustment work against an actual NHL roster? I guess we'll find out on Saturday.

Wait and see!

Reactions: 420Canuck

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Score effects always seem to get ignored when shots are discussed. Canucks went up 3-0 four minutes into the 2nd. At the time, the shots were 14-13 for the Sens. It was only in the last half of the 2nd period that the Sens put up a bunch of shots trying to get back into it. The team still has defensive issues regardless, but they weren't as bad as earlier in the year. They're going to give up a lot of goals this year, but I imagine the first few games were on the far end of the scale and they'll be a little better going forward.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
It’s Ottawa so the three game streak needs to be taken with a grain of salt. That said, it’s never easy to beat a team three times in a row and the goaltending looks to have improved quite a bit and the first line looks to be improving as well and still has room to be even better.
Winnipeg will be a big test to see if the team has really sorted out some of its defensive issues as big physical teams like the Jets always give the Canucks fits.

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Winnipeg will be a good measuring stick game.

I obviously don't think we're as good as the +13 scoring differential in the three games versus Ottawa suggests, but I do think we're better than the team that started the season with a 2-5 record and a 4.71 goals against average. Now that we have some confidence, and a few good warm up games under our belt, and are back to .500, let's see where this goes.
The Canucks are in as good a shape to face the Jets,Habs, Leafs as they'll ever be..Both goalies are looking solid, and the D is reasonably healthy, the top 6 has come out of their funk, and woken up (thanks Ottawa)..a stark difference from a week and a half ago.

Obviously, the team has to to start containing the insane amount of shots they are giving up..The Jets and Habs have had our number for quite some time, so these games will be a good indication of where we are at.

Reactions: Jimnastic

HedonisticAltruism

Sep 26, 2008
Disagree with respect to Wellwood (at least during his time as a Canuck). You think a player not having a decent work ethic (to work under the system) would've seen any time under AV back then? Kassian has actually seen PK with the Oilers and wasn't that bad it (mainly because he can skate).

I think @DL44's response answers your question some what :laugh:

But let me clarify, their work ethic issues came down to two main things: off-ice primarily and some on-ice consistency.

The off-ice primarily for Wellwood was related to his physical conditioning, or lack-there-of. It mostly speaks to how good he was with his hands that he still was consistently in the line up. His consistency mostly was not due to lack of effort per se, but luck of that 5th gear due to conditioning, IMO. AV's laugh was pretty unprofessional but... I don't think unexpected. Even then, I don't think AV was laughing at Wellwood's performance but that he still plays the game 'cool and collected' vs. say Burrows or Kesler - they fit the description of 'man possessed' far better.

On Kassian, you're comparing a 'reformed' Kassian to the 'raw prospect' he was on the Canucks. I'm really happy for where he's at now but he had many off-ice professional challenges. IIRC, he may have veered into alcohol abuse and almost certainly had issues with off-ice partying. Now from a 'business perspective', I could care less what someone does to wind down (other than caring about someone as a person), but if it affects your professional performance, there's an issue - one which Kassian himself admits to. If he had the work ethic he does now back then, he probably would've been one of the best power forwards in the league - what were were all hoping he'd mature into but couldn't in Vancouver.

Reactions: Hit the post

Jimnastic

Canucks Diehard
Nov 13, 2017
Sydney
With the exception of that one disasterous 1st period....

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
When people twist the results instead of being objective you get analysis like this.

The middle of the ice is where the opposition got their offense in the playoffs.

The heat maps vs Vegas and St Louis look just like that first Ottawa game.

This possum/rope a dope idea is just the Canucks being poor defensively and not being able to get out of their end.

the idea you can infer the system of defence a team is playing from a heat map or infer that a team is playing the same system in two games because of a similar heat map has to be a joke to see if i am reading what you post. or are you just mocking analytics?

i also don't even know how you think this refutes what i said. if i accept your supposed heat map correlation it does not in any way prove the canucks were not playing in a defensive shell (possum) in the playoffs, and nor does it refute my principal point that it is dangerous to play possum in the regular season.

Reactions: Jimnastic

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad