Post-Game Talk: Lucky Canucks def. Sens - 4-1 (Boeser x 2, Pettersson, Pearson)

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Also; Hoglander legitimately gives me Hansen vibes. Shorthouse summed it up well by calling him “relentless”. So dogged in the puck, and loved his work to set Pearson up (for the admittedly weak goal, LOLMurray)

Agreed, but I think he will be a more skilled goal scoring Hansen. Hansen was known to have hands of stones, Hoglander is just smooth.

Reactions: HedonisticAltruism

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Also; Hoglander legitimately gives me Hansen vibes. Shorthouse summed it up well by calling him “relentless”. So dogged in the puck, and loved his work to set Pearson up (for the admittedly weak goal, LOLMurray)

I said this weeks ago and got laughed at. Hoglander has potential to be Hansen 2.0 with better hands and offensive instincts.

Solid middle 6 winger.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
Sens play the Oilers twice next

imagine what McDavid and Drai will do to that defense

they will have a field day with that defense. boesers goal was wow. he just goes through the dirty areas and tucks one in. team defense still needs alot of work. still bleeding alot of shots.. its not gonna bold well the rest of the season. going east. if they do that against mtl/wiinipeg they will get eaten alive. so its best to clean up their defensive end. petey is back!.

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
If we're talking Hogs comparables, it's not entiiirely out of the question for him to be a little like M̶a̶r̶c̶h̶a̶n̶d̶

orcatown

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Nice that the Canucks could fatten themselves on Sens and get some guys clinking again. Still think this team has lots of problems in their end and is too dependent upon goaltending. Giving up way too many shots and good chances.

Good

Holtby - terrific. Goaltending the key again. Not sure if you switch goalies we win this one. Use to say that all last season with Markstrom and are starting to say it again with Demko and Holtby. Save at the end of the second was huge. Like I said before this looks good on Benning. Trouble is that Benning should IMO be down the road.

Boeser - this looks like Boeser of his rookie year. His skating has improved so much over last year. Showing his knack around the net. Maybe going for the Rocket Richard this year

Miller - has you tearing your hair out with some of errant passes but he was force in this game.

Pettersson - some sweet plays and with any luck would have had couple more goals. Outstanding touch on the goal he did score and worked hard both ways

Beagle - real good effort. Played a good shut down role - excellent and critical on the PK, good on defensive support through out the game and very good puck management. Bungled the scoring chances he had but Beagle plays like this and he helping. Ice time reflected his effort.

Pearson - strong game. Real good push back after Ottawa scored and good along the boards. Hoglander also gave the line some good offensive possession.

Edler - far from perfect but probably overall the best d-man. Moved the puck out of his zone well and made it tough on Ottawa around our net. Did a good job of breaking up plays and clearing the puck on the PK

Bad

Horvath - you wonder if he is dinged up because his skating has abruptly fallen off. He was falling a zone behind the play coming back on defense. Really laboring coming back. On the PP was back to being too stationary. There were times when the team was working the puck down low to then pas it to Horvath in the slot and rather than trying to get open Horvath just stood beside his check. He never looked to move into the net to get some space or tried to backdoor his check. Also too slow in taking advantage of some the chances the hard work of Hoglander and Pearson was creating. He needs to be better than this.

Hughes - ok offensively but he had big problems handling traffic around his net. Got bumped out of the play way too much and simply out-muscled. Some of the problems people anticipated with Hughes last year are now showing up. He needs a strong defensive partner and so far this season hasn't found one. Benn wasn't bad but he's not carrying anyone and the missed game time from earlier in the season showed up some. Hughes continues to get points but overall having a weaker season than last year.

Others

Gaudette - hard to say whether he is better than Virtanen. Both right now are very fringe. Gaudette gave it an effort but again way too much running around. Clearly missed some defensive assignment
and didn't show much ability to get to the net with the puck. Finally put on the wing and the team will need to give him some time to learn that position (however, you do wonder if he really has the talent or chops to make that transition) If Gaudette does not, this season, get more effective I think he is toast. Have to pray (and pray hard) that the benching might do do something for Virtanen's paly.

MacEwen - in much the same boat as Gaudette. Has to play with more control and better positioning. Unlike Gaudette he does however work the boards better and maintain his feet when getting bounced around. Gives the team a little physical push back as well. Under rated fighter.

Roussel - better in this game. Hopefully starting to regain the form he showed before the knee issues. 4th line is playing quite well.

Chatfield - see enough good to hope he becomes serviceable as maybe 7th d-man. Willing competitor but lacks much of any skill. Did like the way he moved up and supported the puck in the neutral zone and does seem to have enough speed to get back if he does move up which gives him a leg up on Joulevi.

Anyhow team is now in the playoff hunt but the road ahead looks a lot tougher than the last week. Go better than .500 on the road trip and they become a factor in the Northern Division.

HedonisticAltruism

Sep 26, 2008
I think Hansen is the better forechecker though - faster straight-line speed. Stronger on his skates too but Hog's is young. He's like Wellwood with Hansen or Burrow's work ethic.

Chatfield had a much better game - glad he settled down after the first period or two last game. Still sometimes looks like a gazelle though. Beagle had a decent game too. Holtby looks a lot more comfortable than he did at the beginning of the season vs. Edm, IMO so I guess the team's really got past their 'preseason' malaise.

Still hard to really say all too much though... the Sens are just awful.

Index

Fillmore, I'm on it!
Mar 24, 2013
I think Hansen is the better forechecker though - faster straight-line speed. Stronger on his skates too but Hog's is young. He's like Wellwood with Hansen or Burrow's work ethic.

Chatfield had a much better game - glad he settled down after the first period or two last game. Still sometimes looks like a gazelle though. Beagle had a decent game too. Holtby looks a lot more comfortable than he did at the beginning of the season vs. Edm, IMO so I guess the team's really got past their 'preseason' malaise.

Better hands than Wellwood but Wellwood was amazing at picking his spots and knowing where to be to score.

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
Hansen is a career bottom 6'er except for his last couple of seasons.

Aside from the motor, I don't see any similarities.

I never made any comments about playing style.

But to take issue with someone comparing an NHLer with over 600 career games with a couple of productive seasons while playing a gritty two-way game, with a 20 year old with 10 career games is just plain ridiculous.

Nils looks good, but countless players have looked better after 10 career games and ended up with worse careers than Hansen.

Reactions: B-rock

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008

Yeah...

You put Hansen in for energy.

He's your energy player that does a good job forcing turnovers.

Chip and chase is Hansen's bread butter.

Hog on the other hand drives possession and is strong enough to fight through checks while possessing the puck.

I'm really happy with this player so far.

HedonisticAltruism

Sep 26, 2008
Better hands than Wellwood but Wellwood was amazing at picking his spots and knowing where to be to score.
Possibly - I mean, he has quite a bag of tricks but I wonder how much of that is due to agility of his overall body vs. Wellwood's infamous diet :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->