Post-Game Talk (GBU): Luck wins the day

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Eichel and skinner come on with twenty seconds left to get one scoring chance, even though the goalies been pulled for a couple minutes and we manage 0 shots in this time. Mittlestadt and Pilut looked like they tried hard though.

Housley needs to go on waivers

That is all.
Jacks line was out there after the timeout and goalie pull at the 2min mark on the ozone faceoff. They went off briefly for a breather and werent able to get back in until about the 30 sec mark. They werent going to play the entire 2min, especially with them expending so much energy just trying to get the damn puck.

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Why does Housley refuse to make a goalie change when the starter is fighting the puck? It doesnt mean hes getting sent to the AHL, Hutton was struggling and that first goal was on Scandella for using his stick instead of his hand to knock the puck away from the net, not into it.

Sometimes a goalie change is the simplest thing you can do to wake a team up. Changing the goalie might give them a shot in the arm knowing they let Hutton down, or it might just show them Phil is paying attention and that's bad news for a few players on this team. The lack of in game adjustments makes it seem like Housley is on auto-pilot, the honeymoon is over, I want literally anyone else coaching this team to show them status quo is unacceptible.
Because Ullmark was starting tonight? If it wasnt a b2b situation, maybe you do it, but it'd be one thing if Hutton was truly awful, even if he was fighting the puck, it seems everybody ignores the quality saves he did make. The defense running around waving their sticks, losing battles and putting the puck into their own net was the problem. If he pulled Hutton to 'spark' the team, do you come back with him tonight? Or stick with Ullmark, who wouldve come in cold, then traveled, to face TB b2b?

JLewyB

May 6, 2013
Pegulaville
We were never dangerous in the first 2 periods. I don’t like when McCabe plays on the right side or any of our LHDs other than Dahlin. I think a lot of sloppy play can be attributed to the new look of the lines. Eichel being rusty and Carolina being hot.

The puck was bouncing...yes. But the puck was bouncing in dangerous zones against us while it was bouncing around the margins for us. Our forwards were getting too deep. Carolina was able to the carry the puck through the neutral zone with ease and was able to get the puck into dangerous areas and yes “luck” took it the rest of the way.

In the end I would say Carolina would’ve been pretty unlucky if they lost that game. I’d say we were pretty lucky to lose by one.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
Yes there were bad bounces but the Canes played better had more effort.

Or D was terrible on all of those bounces letting the Canes gain the zone uncontested into high danger scoring aer

They just got outworked.

Why does nearly every team have a better d zone coverage then we do?
They made it too easy for them...

The refs were not against us
But except the first PP they squandered all cances.
Especially the 1st unit was off.
Eichel tried like 3 times to gain the zone and couldnt do it.
He seems not to be 100%
His frustration made him certainly not better.
If you want to win a game you gotta convert but they wasted two PP opportunities.

You had the feeling they could win this if they get their act together because even with an average Eichel the Canes are still a worse team overall
They never did..

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
Because Ullmark was starting tonight? If it wasnt a b2b situation, maybe you do it, but it'd be one thing if Hutton was truly awful, even if he was fighting the puck, it seems everybody ignores the quality saves he did make. The defense running around waving their sticks, losing battles and putting the puck into their own net was the problem. If he pulled Hutton to 'spark' the team, do you come back with him tonight? Or stick with Ullmark, who wouldve come in cold, then traveled, to face TB b2b?
I agree, mostly or d was the problem they left him out to dry, giving them 3 chances or scoring into his own net like McCabe

Gordo21

Feb 9, 2017
Although there certainly was some luck last night, the faster team won the hockey game.

That's all I have.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
I don’t understand the outrage. Sabres outplayed the Canes almost all night, especially at the start of the game, but bad puck luck led to them playing behind and they couldn’t grind it out. I’m more mad at Housley discoing the lines up halfway through the game despite things working fine- pucks were just not going in. It slowed down after that and was frustrating.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->