Proposal: Lucic++ for a Top-6 LW

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Lucic isn’t cutting it on Draisaitl’s wing. We have Puljujarvi/Rieder on the right but no one else on the left. The issue is that we can’t trade for a winger without dumping Lucic’s contract. If we add significantly to him what kind of wingers could we get? Maybe:

Lucic, Yamamoto, 2019 protected 1st for Krieder?

Lucic, 2019 protected 1st for Nyquist?
You should have traded for Pacioretty at the draft. He is looking great in Vegas.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Yeah right... :popcorn:

Larsson is not even a Top 4 D. He is barely a #6 at that.

Hall is a Superstar and one of the very best in the NHL! The guy is Elite!

Oilers got robbed at gun point on that trade! It is the worst trade in the NHL in the modern Cap era. Just hilarious.

#2? Sorry, NO way man. Not even close.

That trade was rancid. Just disgusting. Everyone knows how bad that is.

I don't think you understand how hockey works...

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
I wonder if maybe the right move with Lucic is to let him play for 1/4 of the season before trying to trade him. He could possibly increase his value if he plays like he did the first half of last season.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
You should have traded for Pacioretty at the draft. He is looking great in Vegas.

With what cap space?

Bouchard is looking great too. So a Lucic + Bouchard trade for Patches (who may not have resigned) would be another bad Chia trade.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I think you are in denial.

I don't think you have a clue who Larsson is . He would be the 2nd best D on the TML . At worse he a number 4 or 5 on the very best defensive teams in the NHL . I get everyone loves the point producing D but there very few of them that are good defensively as well as offensively . Larsson is a + player on a weak team with terrible goalies last year . Now +/- has to be taken in the right concept . Someone took the time to break down Faulks numbers in a recent thread and when factoring PP and 5 on 5 he was a - player but not as bad as his stat would of indicated . Larsson gets slaughter with D zone starts and PK with no PP and yet still comes out on top .

Mar 26, 2010
Larsson? Not a top 4? You drunk?

This site is upside down lately....i got Leafs fans throwing graphs and charts at me telling Carrick is a top 4 quality D....and now Larsson isn't a top 4D??
Carrick is not a top 4. I never seen anyone say that.

Larsson... Meh.

Mar 26, 2010
No I think I'll stick with what I know and what you don't. If you think that Adam Larsson is a bottom pairing dman, you don't understand hockey. Sorry, but it's that simple. If you want to debate top pair vs 2nd pair, that's fine. That's up for debate.
and I will stick with what I know.

Carry on.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
You literally can’t have a thread the says the word oiler, without the mention of Hall/Larsson. If your lucky enough to do so you’ll probably read the word Reinhart somewhere

Last edited by a moderator:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
So, who would Oilers fans prefer to have now, Taylor Hall, or Milan Lucic? Remember when Jordan Eberle was the old whipping boy? Seems like he might be more welcome now than Lucic.

Well Lucic's game fell off a cliff, if the question is would you rather have had Lucic and Larsson vs. Hall the year that we went to the playoffs, the answer was clearly Larsson and Lucic. If Lucic is able to bounce back this season and Hall takes a step back it's not as clear cut as you are making it out to be. If Hall continues to play the best hockey of his career and stays healthy and Lucic continues to suck then it's clearly in Hall's favor. I guess people forgot that Hall didn't win the Hart the season after we traded him and that maybe, just maybe he needed to do some soul searching that he wasn't in Edmonton to get to that level.

As for Eberle, on a team with Rattie who has fit better with McDavid than Eberle ever has, Puljujarvi who is ready to take the next step in his development and Yamamoto, wtf would we want him back for? At least Lucic can be a net front presence on the PP and fight so for our team, I'd still take Looch over Eberle.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I'd just stay the course with Lucic instead of adding on assets to get rid of him, if he sucks badly then you start to bench him and worst case he's your 14th forward and maybe at some point he considers retiring (assuming that he still gets the remaining $ on his contract). If Hossa's deal can be buried because of a new allergy to equipment, surely he could be convinced that his back issue is forcing him to retire vs. traveling with the team to sit on the bench 82 games a year. I mean sitting IS very hard on the back after all.

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
Yeah right... :popcorn:

Larsson is not even a Top 4 D. He is barely a #6 at that.

Hall is a Superstar and one of the very best in the NHL! The guy is Elite!

Oilers got robbed at gun point on that trade! It is the worst trade in the NHL in the modern Cap era. Just hilarious.
I introduce 1 x Erik Karlsson.

Anywho, If the Oil want to get rid of Looch you need to tag a significant roster player into that for it to work. No team will take a $6 million plug.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
[mod]

Hall had terrific years for the Oilers, diminished only by eastern media bias. He had years that were substantially better than any year in Lucic's career, even his very best for Boston. Hall drives play and he more or less did from the first time he set foot on NHL ice. He is pedigreed to a degree that only a handful of NHLers have ever been (being ultra-elite from the age of 12 or younger). I don't need to defend Hall to anyone in the real world, but somehow there are still those that seek to diminish him on HF.

Lucic was always a phantasm of eastern media, he was a McGuffin for hobbled management teams to pine after -- "todays" powerforward! But aside from 1 or 2 seasons, he has almost always been "yesterdays" power forward. Eastern promises. Hall is still young but he has many seasons that outclass anything Lucic ever produced -- even Hall's injury riddled seasons typically produced better results than an average Lucic season.

People who are inexplicably defensive of the organization beyond all merit had to resort to manufacturing personality concerns with Hall. The guy who roomed with McDavid, who spent his free time with McDavid, trained with him at biosteel, --- they must have hated each other. Thats why the trade happened. He's a jealous ego-monster! Nothing ever suggested this, nothing ever corroborated it.

Hall had top 10 seasons (NHL scoring) on the Oilers. Lucic has never done anything like that and never will. Hall literaly had to be the best player in the NHL for people who are SO bent over backwards and SO wrapped up in their own lies and conceits to finally admit they had the wool over their eyes. Its frankly utterly ridiculous and it proves that objective facts are completely out of reach for pitifully large number of HFBoarders.

You also attacked Eberle, who is basically a bonafide scoring winger in the NHL, one of the top 30 scorers over a period stretching back to the beginning of his career. These talents are not easily replaceable- 90% of NHL teams understand this. It had a major impact losing that scoring last year. Even reliable 50 point players are not that common in todays NHL. Ty Rattie has proven nothing in the NHL so far, and many wingers (read: all of them so far who had a large sample size) have failed to produce reliably with McDavid.

Lucic was one of the worst signings in recent history and has already had a substantial negative effect on the team's ability to compete. If he doesn't completely change his stripes (when does this ever happen?), then he needs to be sewered -- and yet the dynamics of management, ownership, and coaching will not allow it. He is absolutely the worst kind of anchor, and the whole situation is engineered to make it nearly impossible to fix. Its disgusting.

I miss the days when as a fan base we had to deal with mistakes being made, but they were rational, defensible mistakes with thought processes that could be understood clearly. What we have now is farcical -- and we know from experience as a fan base that even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while. If Rattie is an acorn, GREAT. I am still a fan, I just can't abide the "fake news" that we are being inundated with - and it is often spun by our own self-flagellating associates here on HFBoards. Insufferably.

We should be able to confidently rely on our team to spend Sekera's LTIR and make this team playoff-competitive -- but we had a ton of leftover cap last year with holes that other teams readily filled in front of us. As a fanbase, we know this team is just a few pieces from being in contention, but no one should have faith that management will do anything about it. They haven't in the past. (See last years empty capspace). Or they've gone the wrong way, or plugged the wrong hole, or added a Griffin Reinhart when they needed a Dougie Hamilton. And we know that they're vindictive -- and we know that they will hold up a deal over 200K, and we know that they'll blow 2.5 million and an NMC on another just to make it happen. Its all proof that priorities are off, intentions are unclear, and we're rambling drunk toward the finish line. We might still get there. NHL executives aren't exactly Google-caliber. There are still cigar-chomping old-boys, famous players taking a spin, guys who had no hockey experience -- any dope can find himself running a team, it seems. So maybe our dope will come up aces. Fingers crossed.

Last edited by a moderator:

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Lucic (30% retaned) 2019 1st Yamomoto 2019 5th round pick for Baertchi Gudbranson and 2020 6th round pick

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
and I will stick with what I know.

Carry on.

No, if you're going to post stuff like that I won't carry on. You're wrong. As embarassing wrong as it gets around here and if you want to make that opinion public you will get called out .

Larsson is not a bottom pair dman. That isn't up for debate at all.

You can't say you'll stick with what you know, when you clearly have no clue.

Reactions: belair

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
This is what I’m talking about.

You want retention and two high end assets and want to send garbage back. Why does Edmonton do any part of this?

Because they're trapped in an abomination of a deal with no escape in sight? Lucic is addition by subtraction just in terms of icetime, let alone salary.

I have to agree though, that theres no way a blue chip like Yamo goes out with that much retention involved - one or the other.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad