Friedman: Lucic doesn't want to play in Canada anymore?

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Lucic the player would be a nice fit for TB. They need someone like him. Lucic the contract is no bueno.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Wasn't his whole reason for coming out West was due to the fact he wanted to be close to his family after his father's suicide? If that is still a priority to him (although things can change in 3 years) and he doesn't want to play in Canada, it creates a very limited market.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Ok, lets not act here like the Canes have even slight sane management. This is a team that is about to jet send their top young talent this offseason for a bunch of enforcers. The Canes are about to get their own Lucic this summer (whether its actual Lucic or similar player/contract) going by what management is saying. So youll get the experience the same fun

You clearly haven't read a word of what either Dundon (owner, just in case you aren't following closely) and Waddel (new GM, in case you weren't following again) have said about toughness. It is mental toughness they want, not some enforcer. How do we know this? Because the one player the Dundon called out as being the ideal of this toughness is Aho, all 5'11' and 190 lbs soaking wet. Not an enforcer. A competitor.

mouz135

Apr 27, 2013
Shocking, another player and wife demanding to be moved out of Edmonton. No surprise here. No surprise either that Chia is going to be hosed on this deal, and I'm going to bask in all its glory. You guys brought this on yourselves

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
The Oilers should realize someone they are paying also handed him that ludicrous contract.

This. Almost no massive contract handed out to a 28 year old UFA works out. Contracts given to players like Lucic almost always fail. This is on Chiarelli. Although Lucic is still a punk for his play this year where he was completely checked out. He should have bene put on the 4th line and left to rot. Instead he was glued to (and dragged down) McDavid all year. Embarassing on both sides

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
lets be real, it's not like canada was ever his first choice. Chiarelli was the only one stupid enough to offer Lucic that contract, with that kind of money and term you basically move anywhere.

now that he has the contract i'm sure he's begging to be traded out of edmonton

Lets be real, Lucic could have, ya know, not chosen to play in Canada. Nobody put a gun to his head and forced him to sign in Edmonton.

He has nobody but himself to blame for all the criticism he's receiving now. He CHOSE to play in Canada, he grew up in Canada so he knows full well how rabid these fanbases are and he should know that he was going to draw criticism after completely dogging it the last 3-4 months of the season. I'm sure it sucks for him and his family to get harassed and I'm not condoning the idiotic actions of these social media tough guys but he chose this fate so now he must deal with the repercussions.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
I want my massive contract, mostly in signing bonuses. Oh, and a NMC and a NTC.

Also, I want Oilers fans to be nice to me even when I put up the numbers of a replacement level NHLer.
Takes 2 to make a deal though. You can't expect the fans to deal with the poor performance, but the blame shouldn't be on the player for getting the most he can.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
This. Almost no massive contract handed out to a 28 year old UFA works out. Contracts given to players like Lucic almost always fail. This is on Chiarelli. Although Lucic is still a punk for his play this year where he was completely checked out. He should have bene put on the 4th line and left to rot. Instead he was glued to (and dragged down) McDavid all year. Embarassing on both sides
this is on Lucic...the guy mentally checked out after Christmas

baffling you're not holding the player accountable

Reactions: TFHockey

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
The oilers will be utter fools not to make a deal that will actually help the team in some way. He wants to be moved? Tough luck unless something comes along that is palatable. Eat the mistake, do not compound it.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Think Russia has started to sign useless fighters... (or has that ship sailed)
Maybe sharpen those knuckles and head to Russia? North America doesn't really want you tbh

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Ok, lets not act here like the Canes have even slight sane management. This is a team that is about to jet send their top young talent this offseason for a bunch of enforcers. The Canes are about to get their own Lucic this summer (whether its actual Lucic or similar player/contract) going by what management is saying. So youll get the experience the same fun
Yeah, and our owner still won't have any interest in paying Lucic anything above league minimum to "enforce".

I'm sure Kyle Beach and Philippe Paradis are still out there somewhere and can do that for us and be only slightly worse than albatross Lucic who can only score by having McDavid bounce pucks off of him on accident or fumbling the puck to McDavid for assists.

Bando

Jun 24, 2016
People always think edmonton will be a fun place to play... until they are stuck in edmonton

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
The oilers will be utter fools not to make a deal that will actually help the team in some way. He wants to be moved? Tough luck unless something comes along that is palatable. Eat the mistake, do not compound it.

It's Chiarelli. He's gonna pay to move Lucic and then turn around and sign JVR to an even bigger deal only to find himself in the same position within 2 years.

Reactions: Drunkard

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
they're going to have to be very creative to get rid of him. Unfortunately, that probably includes the 10OA... It's obviously not going to be easy.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
What about this?
-Lucic is buyout proof for EDM due to his signing bonus. CAR apparently wants more toughness.
-CAR sends Rask to EDM for a late round pick+Future considerations @ the draft
-EDM buys out Victor Rask (4M AAV x 4 years/25 years old) prior to June 30th, they take a cap penalty of roughly 666k for the next eight seasons.
-After July 1st (or whenever Lucic is paid his 3.5M signing bonus), Lucic waives his NTC to be sent to CAR. CAR gives EDM a late pick. EDM retains roughly 1.33M which is roughly 22.7 percent of Lucic's cap hit.
-After his bonus is paid, Lucic is owed 22.5M spread out over the next five years. EDM retaining covers almost 5M of this remaining salary, meaning CAR only owes Lucic 17.5M over the next 5 seasons, which is a real money AAV of 3.5M. CAR effectively pays Lucic a lower salary than they were paying Rask, with the only caveat being Lucic is signed 1 year longer.
-EDM walks away with roughly 2M on the books for the next five seasons, and then roughly 666k on the books for three more seasons after that. A financial obligation that is LESS than what a Lucic buyout would have been if he had no signing bonuses. In turn, EDM frees up about 4M worth of cap for the next five seasons, a significant amount considering Lucic is buyout proof and has a full NMC.

Pretty sure Victor Rask is a moveable piece and nobody will be buying him out. As an Oiler fan this seems to fit and I can't see Edmonton retaining after they pay out the July 1 bonus.

Reactions: 780il

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
they're going to have to be very creative to get rid of him. Unfortunately, that probably includes the 10OA... It's obviously not going to be easy.
I don't think it will. Will Chiarelli need to take another bad contract back? Probably. But we've seen it time and time again - people on this board think a high pick is the price to move a bad contract, and it doesn't happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad