Friedman: Lucic doesn't want to play in Canada anymore?

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
That is an easy no from the Canes. IF the Canes wanted out from Rasks contract, and that is a big if given he had shoulder surgery and may improve given he looked OK with whatever injury he had, we'd just buy him out ourselves and save a ton of money vs. getting Lucic's declining performance plus terrible contract. Now, this would change if the above scenario was changed so that it was Rask for Puljujarvi or the 10th overall prior to the draft, then Lucic after the bonus was paid.

Rask buyout still costs CAR a bit over 5M in real money. I won't pretend to have any idea of whether your new owner is a salary conscious owner, but that's still a significant amount of money to effectively throw away.

Look at it this way, if that 5M buyout would be considered a sunk cost, it'd be fair to deduct it from Lucic's 17.5M owed over 5 years in my original proposal. Meaning, adding Lucic only means CAR is spending an additional 12.5M over 5 years compared to buyout out Rask.

Meaning, acquiring Lucic with the retained salary in the proposal comes at an added average cost of 2.5M per season for 5 seasons compared to CAR choosing to buyout Rask themselves. For a team that apparently wishes to add toughness, how can they refuse that?

What the proposal is trying to do is to weigh the needs of what (I am assuming is) a salary oriented team in CAR vs a cap ceiling oriented team in EDM, and find sunk costs along with mechanisms in the CBA that can be exploited to create a win/win situation for both teams.

If you think Rask is worth 4M, shouldn't be bought out, will be a valued part of the Hurricanes, this proposal should make no sense to you, I agree with that. But if you think a Rask buyout is a plausible avenue for the Hurricanes to go down, then trading Rask for Lucic with 1.33M retained creates a scenario where CAR is only paying an additional 2.5M real money AAV per season in salary for Lucic.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Well I guess if this is true then Babcock/Matthews ironing out is also true. #FriedmanIsTruth

Reactions: McCoy

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Rask buyout still costs CAR a bit over 5M in real money. I won't pretend to have any idea of whether your new owner is a salary conscious owner, but that's still a significant amount of money to effectively throw away.

Look at it this way, if that 5M buyout would be considered a sunk cost, it'd be fair to deduct it from Lucic's 17.5M owed over 5 years in my original proposal. Meaning, adding Lucic only means CAR is spending an additional 12.5M over 5 years compared to buyout out Rask.

Meaning, acquiring Lucic with the retained salary in the proposal comes at an added average cost of 2.5M per season for 5 seasons compared to CAR choosing to buyout Rask themselves. For a team that apparently wishes to add toughness, how can they refuse that?

What the proposal is trying to do is to weigh the needs of what (I am assuming is) a salary oriented team in CAR vs a cap ceiling oriented team in EDM, and find sunk costs along with mechanisms in the CBA that can be exploited to create a win/win situation for both teams.

If you think Rask is worth 4M, shouldn't be bought out, will be a valued part of the Hurricanes, this proposal should make no sense to you, I agree with that. But if you think a Rask buyout is a plausible avenue for the Hurricanes to go down, then trading Rask for Lucic with 1.33M retained creates a scenario where CAR is only paying an additional 2.5M real money AAV per season in salary for Lucic.

Given our owner seems to be salary conscious and that Rask has some value to the organization and fills a role, even if slightly over paid for that role, I am 99% certain we would roll with him and not try to buy him out. So the proposal doesn't make much sense.

Reactions: CanesInducedComa

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I always chuckle when I read guys who are so mentally fragile they can’t handle playing in Canada so they want to go hide and become relatively unknown on some American team in a less pressure environment. IMO if a guy feels that way, he’s the last type of guy I would ever want on our team.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Lucic has a NMC. The only person to blame and should take any heat is Chiarelli.

Reactions: Oil53

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
This is the best news I’ve heard in a long time as it means Benning can’t bring him to Vancouver like I’ve been dreading for weeks.

And as far as Lucic goes,poor baby wants to float through the rest of his bloated contract where no one will call him on his lazy useless play.Good luck with that,especially with your untradeable contract.

Last edited:
Reactions: 204hockey

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
I’d take him in Arizona if EDM is willing to pay this year’s signing bonus and then retain 30% of the remaining contract. I’d offer Brandon Hickey.

I'm confident Edmonton will be willing to pay the signing bonus but I don't think retaining for the duration of the contract is realistic.

I think they will opt for the route of taking on someone else's bad contract in exchange, though I won't speculate on who.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The OP clearly mentions his wife, not just Milan. But yeah, making tons of money should make a players family not care about the criticism of a loved one.
If they were together prior to his signing in Edmonton then they both clearly under estimated what it would be like to play in Canada. Especially when you don’t live up to expectations of your contract.

There were no issues in yea 1 when they made the playoffs, but when you miss badly and score 1 game in half a season, yeah there’s going to be heat.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
If they were together prior to his signing in Edmonton then they both clearly under estimated what it would be like to play in Canada. Especially when you don’t live up to expectations of your contract.

There were no issues in yea 1 when they made the playoffs, but when you miss badly and score 1 game in half a season, yeah there’s going to be heat.
No NHL player should be impervious from being held accountable. Maybe I am reading too much into this but the mention of Lucic's wife makes me believe that it isn't just him.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
What about this?
-Lucic is buyout proof for EDM due to his signing bonus. CAR apparently wants more toughness.
-CAR sends Rask to EDM for a late round pick+Future considerations @ the draft
-EDM buys out Victor Rask (4M AAV x 4 years/25 years old) prior to June 30th, they take a cap penalty of roughly 666k for the next eight seasons.
-After July 1st (or whenever Lucic is paid his 3.5M signing bonus), Lucic waives his NTC to be sent to CAR. CAR gives EDM a late pick. EDM retains roughly 1.33M which is roughly 22.7 percent of Lucic's cap hit.
-After his bonus is paid, Lucic is owed 22.5M spread out over the next five years. EDM retaining covers almost 5M of this remaining salary, meaning CAR only owes Lucic 17.5M over the next 5 seasons, which is a real money AAV of 3.5M. CAR effectively pays Lucic a lower salary than they were paying Rask, with the only caveat being Lucic is signed 1 year longer.
-EDM walks away with roughly 2M on the books for the next five seasons, and then roughly 666k on the books for three more seasons after that. A financial obligation that is LESS than what a Lucic buyout would have been if he had no signing bonuses. In turn, EDM frees up about 4M worth of cap for the next five seasons, a significant amount considering Lucic is buyout proof and has a full NMC.

I came back and read this a few times to make sure I actually understood it all.
If your numbers are right Edmonton would be insane to turn down this offer.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014

You are under a false impression that Carolina is interested in buying out Victor Rask. Convincing yourself that the Canes would be interested in swapping Rask for Lucic takes some craaaaazy mental gymnastics. In no way are they interested in that.

Puljujarvi or #10 + Lucic for a 3rd round pick

That's what I'd offer and it would be contingent on Lucic voiding/waiving his own NMC in preparation for the next expansion draft. No deal works with that NMC in place.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Me being shocked when a 28+ year old powerforward with regressing play signs a major contract and fails to live up to it 2 years in

notsurprisedkirk.jpg

This one is squarely on Chiarelli though

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
You are under a false impression that Carolina is interested in buying out Victor Rask. Convincing yourself that the Canes would be interested in swapping Rask for Lucic takes some craaaaazy mental gymnastics. In no way are they interested in that.

Puljujarvi or #10 + Lucic for a 3rd round pick

That's what I'd offer and it would be contingent on Lucic voiding/waiving his own NMC in preparation for the next expansion draft. No deal works with that NMC in place.

Ok, lets not act here like the Canes have even slight sane management. This is a team that is about to jet send their top young talent this offseason for a bunch of enforcers. The Canes are about to get their own Lucic this summer (whether its actual Lucic or similar player/contract) going by what management is saying. So youll get the experience the same fun

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->