Friedman: Lucic doesn't want to play in Canada anymore?

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
What are the Oilers going to give up to acquire that 4 M dollar player? Are they going to trade away their young ELC prospects on a team dealing with cap issues? Or their first?

Also, I think you misunderstood my point in my original post. I said that the 2 M retation would be added on to the other player's salary, which will result in another overpaid player.

4 M (new player) + 2 M (salary retation)= 6 M (Lucic)

You would also only get a 4 M dollar player from a trade, not Free Agency. So goodbye 2019 1st, Bear, Yam, Klefbom or Pul.

Also, didn't nobody want Clarkson, Horton, and Phaneuf?
When did they take the Oiler's ability to sign free agents away?

You aren't making any sense.

The point I quoted was you declaring as if it was a fact that the Oilers will not retain on him. Reality is you just don't want them to and have no idea what they will or will not do.

You then seem to think it's obvious logic that if you trade a retained player it's the end of the world and you are not allowed to sign free agents and that it is better to have a shit player than to retain and make a trade or sign an FA.

I'm guessing you love Lucic and just don't want him replaced but many would argue you'd be better off with an ecl guy in the spot so that even with 2 mil retained you are saving 3. That my friend is logic, not this make believe stuff you are trying to use.

You are correct though, you might get lucky and trade him for an injured player on the IR like we did with Horton, but that is a rare situation. Are you prepared to sit around and wait while your young core gets wasted because it his shitty wings and no offensive D to quarterback the powerplay?

Edmonton needs to manage it's Cap issues very well. You might have better luck moving Russell, maybe a buy out makes sense, but retaining 2 mil to dump him may actually be one of your better options.

You'll get the hang of this logic thing eventually I'm sure :P

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
When did they take the Oiler's ability to sign free agents away?

You aren't making any sense.

The point I quoted was you declaring as if it was a fact that the Oilers will not retain on him. Reality is you just don't want them to and have no idea what they will or will not do.

You then seem to think it's obvious logic that if you trade a retained player it's the end of the world and you are not allowed to sign free agents and that it is better to have a **** player than to retain and make a trade or sign an FA.

I'm guessing you love Lucic and just don't want him replaced but many would argue you'd be better off with an ecl guy in the spot so that even with 2 mil retained you are saving 3. That my friend is logic, not this make believe stuff you are trying to use.

You are correct though, you might get lucky and trade him for and injured player on the IR like we did with Horton, but that is a rare situation. Are you prepared to sit around and wait while your young core gets wasted because it his ****ty wings and no offensive D to quarterback the powerplay?

Edmonton needs to manage it's Cap issues very well. You might have better luck moving Russell, maybe a buy out makes sense, but retaining 2 mil to dump him may actually be one of your better options.

You'll get the hang of this logic thing eventually I'm sure :P

Let me try explaining you this, the Oilers are not going to sign a 50 point player in Free Agency for $4 M. The Oilers do not have any LW that can fill the hole of Lucic. The Oilers cannot trade away assets to acquire another top 6 LW. The Oilers cannot afford to spend $2 M on dead cap space. Furthermore, the Oilers should be spending assets on acquiring a top 2 D, not a top 6 forward.

To add on, I do not want Lucic to be on the Oilers. You said that the Oilers would be better off with ELC, but who would this be? Pul and Yam are both RW prospects. And that is the end of the Oilers forward prospects who could make the jump next season.

The Oilers are not going to win the cup in the next two years. So yes, I would rather have the Oilers be patient with their core and wait for a deal to trade away Lucic. Actually, the Oilers can do what Toronto did with Lupul since Lucic does have a confirmed back condition.

Can you name me the 4 M players that the Oilers could acquire to replace Lucic? I also don't see any logic in your post. The Oilers have been trying to stockpile their prospect pool for the past couple of years, hence trades like Marody and Vesey. So why would they spend all of their assets on acquiring another forward, while retaining salary on top 9 player when they need a #1 D.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Let me try explaining you this, the Oilers are not going to sign a 50 point player in Free Agency for $4 M. The Oilers do not have any LW that can fill the hole of Lucic. The Oilers cannot trade away assets to acquire another top 6 LW. The Oilers cannot afford to spend $2 M on dead cap space. Furthermore, the Oilers should be spending assets on acquiring a top 2 D, not a top 6 forward.

To add on, I do not want Lucic to be on the Oilers. You said that the Oilers would be better off with ELC, but who would this be? Pul and Yam are both RW prospects. And that is the end of the Oilers forward prospects who could make the jump next season.

The Oilers are not going to win the cup in the next two years. So yes, I would rather have the Oilers be patient with their core and wait for a deal to trade away Lucic. Actually, the Oilers can do what Toronto did with Lupul since Lucic does have a confirmed back condition.

Can you name me the 4 M players that the Oilers could acquire to replace Lucic? I also don't see any logic in your post. The Oilers have been trying to stockpile their prospect pool for the past couple of years, hence trades like Marody and Vesey. So why would they spend all of their assets on acquiring another forward, while retaining salary on top 9 player when they need a #1 D.

You are making this out to be much more than it is. You could get a guy like Leivo for a 3d round pick. Lucic is not that hard to replace, he's a declining 3rd liner at this point. 10 goals and 34 points is not that hard to replace. Seriously. There are many people who could replace him.

A better question is who would want to pay a 10 goal scorer (who actually got ice time with McDavid and lots of top 6 mins) 4mil if you did retain on him and why? That you would refuse this act of charity is baffling.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
More qualified hockey experts than I warned Chiarelli that the Lucic contract would be debacle, particularly once he hit 30...so it's right on schedule. He may want out of Edmonton, but the Oilers are going to have to eat a big chunk of that contract and even then a trade might not happen. The fire-wagon hockey in today's NHL is rendering players like Lucic obsolete.

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
You are making this out to be much more than it is. You could get a guy like Leivo for a 3d round pick. Lucic is not that hard to replace, he's a declining 3rd liner at this point. 10 goals and 34 points is not that hard to replace. Seriously. There are many people who could replace him.
I would just rather the Oilers trade him for another bad contract that they could place on the LTIR. Then target younger players. But even with that, young players are not guaranteed to succeed which was one of the Oilers failures this year.

We both agree that the Oilers should move on from Lucic, but we just believe in different ways to trade him

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I would just rather the Oilers trade him for another bad contract that they could place on the LTIR. Then target younger players. But even with that, young players are not guaranteed to succeed which was one of the Oilers failures this year.

We both agree that the Oilers should move on from Lucic, but we just believe in different ways to trade him
Honestly I think you're stuck with him. I'm not sure what his buy out would look like but that might be the way to go.

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
Honestly I think you're stuck with him. I'm not sure what his buy out would look like but that might be the way to go.
The only teams I see acquiring Lucic would be a team like Arizona or Carolina. Most likely, Lucic would get traded after July 1st because of his signing bonus. I think he is making around 23 M dollars the next 5 years but will have a cap hit of 30 M over that span.

Lucic for Darling????

Captain Controversy

Apr 30, 2015
Alberta
My god the drama on this forum. Relax. Lucic has one bad half of a season and his career is done? Calm the hell down people.

Lucic will rebound and have a good year. He may not ever be that 50 point player again but he can get points and impact via physically

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
And his wife thinks that if he under performs in Vancouver that the fan reaction will be any different than in Edmonton? Nope. Likely worse....

Would Lucic even think about playing in his hometown? He would be one of the highest paid players on the team but he's gonna be another Erikkson (which is another albatross in itself)

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Source?

I'll guess your ass.

Lucic is not in a position to be complaining about anything. If he wants out of Edmonton then he should step up his game and make himself tradable. A crappy overpaid player locking out 7 teams is moronic.

The smart thing to do would be to stop reading the media and just live his life and be happy he has a job in the NHL playing with a future Hall of Famer.

@NYR Viper You can do better.

Cool it slick, maybe just maybe its just his opinion. Probably didnt think that one through did you?

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
So what you're saying is, if you make a lot of money you no longer get to have feelings. Got it.
overreact much? Thats the life you have to accept when you marry a professional athlete, you're goin to hear good things and you'll hear negative, grow some thicker skin enjoy your hubbies millions.

Tough life.

Reactions: Devonator

Jay haller

Oct 22, 2017
My god the drama on this forum. Relax. Lucic has one bad half of a season and his career is done? Calm the hell down people.

Lucic will rebound and have a good year. He may not ever be that 50 point player again but he can get points and impact via physically

What’s your opinion on seabrook?

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
What about this?
-Lucic is buyout proof for EDM due to his signing bonus. CAR apparently wants more toughness.
-CAR sends Rask to EDM for a late round pick+Future considerations @ the draft
-EDM buys out Victor Rask (4M AAV x 4 years/25 years old) prior to June 30th, they take a cap penalty of roughly 666k for the next eight seasons.
-After July 1st (or whenever Lucic is paid his 3.5M signing bonus), Lucic waives his NTC to be sent to CAR. CAR gives EDM a late pick. EDM retains roughly 1.33M which is roughly 22.7 percent of Lucic's cap hit.
-After his bonus is paid, Lucic is owed 22.5M spread out over the next five years. EDM retaining covers almost 5M of this remaining salary, meaning CAR only owes Lucic 17.5M over the next 5 seasons, which is a real money AAV of 3.5M. CAR effectively pays Lucic a lower salary than they were paying Rask, with the only caveat being Lucic is signed 1 year longer.
-EDM walks away with roughly 2M on the books for the next five seasons, and then roughly 666k on the books for three more seasons after that. A financial obligation that is LESS than what a Lucic buyout would have been if he had no signing bonuses. In turn, EDM frees up about 4M worth of cap for the next five seasons, a significant amount considering Lucic is buyout proof and has a full NMC.

bcf.png

Reactions: cadillaccts

Mike Carr

Jul 19, 2012
I think although Lucic has vale his contract is that bad the Oil will need to give something away to shed the salary - I wouldn't mind him back in LA for toughness, 3rd line goals and screening the goalie. For the Kings to take him we would need to give something like Martinez for salaries to work - what would Oil fans offer on top of Lucic (needs to be picks or good player on low salary)
so Lucic plus what for Martinez ??

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Cool it slick, maybe just maybe its just his opinion. Probably didnt think that one through did you?
ROFL. Yeah when people state their opinions as facts we should just ignore it and play along. How about no.

I thought it through, if you did your conclusion was bizarre.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad