Lucic-Bergeron-Seguin 4th line Team Canada?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
As a Bruins fan I 100% back holding Lucic off the Canadian olympic team. I want him rested so he can crush people in the playoffs. While we are at it can we leave Bergeron off too? I'd also like to leave Eriksson, Tuukka, Chara, Krejci and Seidenberg off of their respectives squads but those teams aren't as deep as Canada (well maybe Finland in goal).

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
I don't think Lucic is a good enough skater overall to make this team. When he goes forward, he can be quite fast, his sheer size and muscle make him an unstoppable force when given enough space to amp his velocity. That being said, he does not have the overall mobility to make it on Team Canada. And his physicality does nothing for me on the dreaded international ice.

I want fast players. I am willing to make special exceptions for the likes of Tavares, who's game is elite enough to make up for average skating, but if he and Getzlaf and Perry are already on this team, then I am not sure if there is space for many more slow skaters. I want Duchene on this team for this reason alone, need to pump the tempo on the big ice.

As for Seguin, I do not have him on the team as we speak, nor do I think Team Canada will consider him, but he has been a strong player for the Stars despite inconsistent defensive puck management. I would still keep an eye on him, as well as Hall, whose play has not warranted a spot on the team BUT his skill set is ideal for the big ice. Just gotta start making smarter decisions.

Ten Thousand Hours

Aug 17, 2010
Boston
The game's not THAT different on international ice. And Lucic isn't slow. Just so I don't sound like a homer, I'll compare Bruin to Bruin and say that I think Lucic would help Canada more than Bergeron. Canada has plenty of centers. And it's not like their centers are bad defensively that Bergeron is completely necessary. Lucic brings a different dimension. I'm pretty sure the puck will find it's way into a corner even on that large ice and Lucic will be able to keep up.

HockeyThoughts

Delivering The Truth
Jul 23, 2007
Mississauga
The game's not THAT different on international ice. And Lucic isn't slow. Just so I don't sound like a homer, I'll compare Bruin to Bruin and say that I think Lucic would help Canada more than Bergeron. Canada has plenty of centers. And it's not like their centers are bad defensively that Bergeron is completely necessary. Lucic brings a different dimension. I'm pretty sure the puck will find it's way into a corner even on that large ice and Lucic will be able to keep up.
Patrice Bergeron is a Selke winning center..He's also one of, if not the best faceoff man in the league. Furthermore, he's a key contributor on one of the top PK units leaguewide -- which Milan Lucic contributes exactly 0% towards. Now consider that he's more consistent offensively, from game-to-game and season-to-season in addition to being alumni from the 2010 Olympic Gold winning team.. and there's little to no argument for Lucic over Bergeron.

What's his advantage? He's a natural winger? More physical? Not enough IMO.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
In Lucic's defense his skating game has been great this year, his acceleration has definitely improved, look at his GWG in OT against the CBJ a few days ago.

With all due respect, that video is more damning of his skating than anything else.

If you look at him the defensive zone, look at how slow he was at getting up to cover the point before the rush. Effective result... but...

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
With all due respect, that video is more damning of his skating than anything else.

If you look at him the defensive zone, look at how slow he was at getting up to cover the point before the rush. Effective result... but...

Youtube video's are terrible for evaluating skill set. That's a 10 second snippet of the 350 minutes he's played this year. Honestly, anyone who thinks Lucic is "slow" hasn't watched him or the Bruins closely in the past 4 years. It's not some new found skating technique. He's had good top speed for awhile now. He's a little more agile this year than in years past. He's also apparently dropped some weight. Not graceful by any means, but skating shouldn't be a knock anymore IMO.

Canadian Wampa

Feb 1, 2012
Lucic can take over games, he's a clutch performer, he can score, he can crowd the crease, and even if he can't play his most physical games he still carries around his fair share of intimidation, and he's not nearly as slow as you people seem to think.

Of course Im probably just being a homer.

Literally everyone on Team Canada will have the ability to take over games and are clutch performers. The only thing Lucic has is physicality and that doesn't make up for his lack of skating ability. It's not necessary about being low. Crosby and Stamkos are very explosive, Toews and Tavares are very smooth, Duchene is very shifty. Lucic is none of those.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Lucic is the NHL's premier power forward. He'd do some serious damage in the Olympics, wreak havoc for opposing teams, bring an intense element to Team Canada that nobody else brings.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Getzlaf, Perry, Bergeron, Toews, Duchene, Benn, Carter, M.Richards, Nash, Tavares, Crosby, Kunitz, Couture, Marleau are the forwards I see making the Canadian team. Don't see how either Seguin or Lucic can beat out any of these players, if all of them are healthy come time for the Olympics. Lines I could see

Kunitz-Crosby-Nash
Couture-Tavares-Marleau
M.Richards-Toews-Carter
Duchene-Getzlaf-Perry

Extra forwards being Benn and Bergeron, of course none of these lines are labelled as 1st or 2nd etc, just who I think plays together

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Lucic's skating is not a problem whatsoever.

What he brings is that he's the best forechecker of his generation. Almost every defenseman in the NHL rushes passes when he's bearing down. When he has the puck, he doesn't give it away.

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
Speak for yourself. Lucic may not make the team this year. But, I would love to watch him play and I think he would be extremely effective on the Olympic ice...

With his style of play, he would have been better suited to play in the 2010 Olympics compared to the upcoming Olympics.

Lehner

Jul 2, 2009
Ottawa
I agree Lucic should be there on the 4th line when we play tough teams. or an extra fwd when we dont.

SoftDumps

Oct 11, 2013
Getzlaf, Perry, Bergeron, Toews, Duchene, Benn, Carter, M.Richards, Nash, Tavares, Crosby, Kunitz, Couture, Marleau are the forwards I see making the Canadian team. Don't see how either Seguin or Lucic can beat out any of these players, if all of them are healthy come time for the Olympics. Lines I could see

Kunitz-Crosby-Nash
Couture-Tavares-Marleau
M.Richards-Toews-Carter
Duchene-Getzlaf-Perry

Extra forwards being Benn and Bergeron, of course none of these lines are labelled as 1st or 2nd etc, just who I think plays together

Why do people continue to insist Nash makes this team? He isn't even a whisper of his former self the last couple of seasons. Mind boggling what the frack some of you guys are watching. Let it go!

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
I agree Lucic should be there on the 4th line when we play tough teams. or an extra fwd when we dont.

Its the Olympics...no need for a "tough guy". The reason I don't think he'll make it isn't his skating..hes not versatile enough. Where would he play? Can he play a shutdown role? Kill penalties? A lot of top line players will be forced into the role of checkers and penalty killers. Especially on the bottom lines. Thats how guys like Jeff Carter and Logan Couture and Patrice Bergeron will make the team. Couture can play every forward position..I'm not sure Lucic can.

BiggestLeafsFanEVER*

IMO Lucic is not good enough to make the team. Bergeron should be there. Seguin's good but I don't think he'll make it.

Lehner

Jul 2, 2009
Ottawa
Its the Olympics...no need for a "tough guy". The reason I don't think he'll make it isn't his skating..hes not versatile enough. Where would he play? Can he play a shutdown role? Kill penalties? A lot of top line players will be forced into the role of checkers and penalty killers. Especially on the bottom lines. Thats how guys like Jeff Carter and Logan Couture and Patrice Bergeron will make the team. Couture can play every forward position..I'm not sure Lucic can.

He doesnt need to fight, Canada used to be known for coming out big and tough and can change the game around with punishing hits just making that d-man think a little when theyre on the ice.

I feel like he should be on the team for sure.

The Dangly One

Dangle dangle goal
Jun 13, 2011
It would make more sense to unite the Marchand Bergeron Seguin line that was one of the best lines in the NHL a couple seasons ago. I'm not convinced yet that anyone outside Bergeron is going to make the team though

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
He doesnt need to fight, Canada used to be known for coming out big and tough and can change the game around with punishing hits just making that d-man think a little when theyre on the ice.

I feel like he should be on the team for sure.

Thats not enough to justify a spot in my opinion. Jamie Benn can do that and also kill penalties and play well defensively. Teams like The U.S. and Russia and Sweden and Finland and the Czechs and Slovaks and the Swiss aren't going to be phased by hitting since most, if not all the rosters will be made up of NHL players.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
Speak for yourself. Lucic may not make the team this year. But, I would love to watch him play and I think he would be extremely effective on the Olympic ice...

If the World Cup is played in 2015 or 2016, I believe Lucic makes the team (if he plays well), because the tournament will be played on NHL ice, so I would love to see him there.

CheerstoBeers

Jan 28, 2008
Big Ice is overrated..

It's really not that much bigger..It's no longer, it's just 7.5 feet wider on each side. One stride longer basically, To say any player who plays in the NHL couldn't compete because of "big ice" is a joke

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Big Ice is overrated..

It's really not that much bigger..It's no longer, it's just 7.5 feet wider on each side. One stride longer basically, To say any player who plays in the NHL couldn't compete because of "big ice" is a joke

Too bad about Lucic's lateral mobility, though.

northeastern

Apr 16, 2009
boston
dare I say lucic has a better shot than segiun? not because of player vs player skill at all. but because segiun is a high end skilled player, team Canada has no shortage of those. At least bringing lucic as an alternate provides something different to the team. strength, grit, size, net front presence ect....

but could easily see either of them make the team, but wouldn't be the least bit surprised if neither did. It all depends on the identity they want to build the team around. the hardest part of making team Canada is making it a real team

I personally hope they throw a curveball with their roster, do something unique and make it a team with 4 distinct lines (and i know I'm not from Canada but team Canada is always fun to speculate on)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad