Luca Sbisa evaluation

Metalownall

Oct 8, 2008
Quebec city
To follow from the Fowler's thread... I'm a big fan of the Ducks from the outside (eastern Canada) and want to keep track our youngsters..

I thought Sbisa was a real good young defenseman but noticed he got scratched a few times is he having a rough season? badluck season? getting better?

What you guys think is his career potential now that he has a few years experience

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
He's been decent overall. Still isn't very smart and gets beat one on one too much for my liking. But he is still young, and he has great tools. He's a great skater and can be pretty physical. I think he's been playing much better lately.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I think most of us feel that he has a lot of skill, but seems to be held back a bit by a lack of hockey smarts.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
His skill set is pretty amazing, his hockey iq is lacking big time.

When hes been paired with fowler hes looked pretty good, he seemed to stray away from his physical play this season, id like to see him be more physical, maybe drop the mitts or something.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I think he's at his best when he's hitting, and jumping into the play offensively. When he tries to play conservitive...he just isn't solid enough to do that.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
His brain is what will hold him back from reaching his potential. He has a great skill set but his hockey IQ is lacking. Right now I'd say he's a good number 4-5 guy and at his best l see him being a solid 2nd pairing guy.

I was more impressed with him last year than I have been so far this season.

I agree with those who said he looked better paired with Fowler but I'll also say that when they were paired together Fowler wasn't able to utilize his skating as much because Sbisa always wanted to skate the puck up the ice himself. So while Sbisa benefited from that pairing, Fowler didn't.

I think he's at his best when he's hitting, and jumping into the play offensively. When he tries to play conservitive...he just isn't solid enough to do that.

I disagree. Sbisa is at his best when he keeps it simple. His hockey IQ is not high enough to be taking risks offensively as once he gets the puck in the zone he has no idea what to do with it.

eenok*

sbisa is italian league player nothin more. bad foolish defender..clumpsy..ho to say..makin funny mistakes.

lydman 20games non goal just poor 3asses. just bad. defenseweak.

i say one word more on this thread vatanen!:handclap:

EENOK,HOCkeyprofessor,IL,Finland

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
He needs to stop trying to mold his game after his hall of fame coach, and more like the guy the hall of famer was paired with in Anaheim.

edit - That is Nieds and Beauchemin for you Kings fans since 2012.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
sbisa is italian league player nothin more. bad foolish defender..clumpsy..ho to say..makin funny mistakes.

lydman 20games non goal just poor 3asses. just bad. defenseweak.

i say one word more on this thread vatanen!:handclap:

EENOK,HOCkeyprofessor,IL,Finland

And whatever you do, OP, do not believe this for a minute. Sbisa is still very much a talented player who has a lot of upside. He just needs to put it together, and figure out which way he needs to play to be at his best.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
He needs to stop trying to mold his game after his hall of fame coach, and more like the guy the hall of famer was paired with in Anaheim.

edit - That is Nieds and Beauchemin for you Kings fans since 2012.

He doesnt need to be like beauchmin hes a completely different player than beauchmin. He doesnt need to be like anyone, he needs to be luca sbisa, hopefully with neids and fowler tutoring him hell gain some hockey iq and add that to his already above average skill set and turn into a good top 4 dmen. Hes still young as far as defencemen go.

eenok*

"just needs to put it together, and figure out which way he needs to play to be at his best."

said bout sbisa.

comment: LOL

i suggest putting him to AHL .word my o my:laugh:

if player not ready NHL player not playing NHL. still this dude surfs NHL an makin bad things.

vatanen IS NHL READY. BIG STAR WHEREVER PLAYING. LISTEN MY WORDS. THANK YOU. Eenok striked.

EENOK,HOKEYPROFESSOR,IL.FINLAND

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I'm going to try the Damn Skippy approach to discussion:

#1 PP in the NHL

17-3-3

Here ends the lesson.

edit: and yes, that was a quote from The Untouchables.

Last edited:

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
"just needs to put it together, and figure out which way he needs to play to be at his best."

said bout sbisa.

comment: LOL

i suggest putting him to AHL .word my o my:laugh:

if player not ready NHL player not playing NHL. still this dude surfs NHL an makin bad things.

vatanen IS NHL READY. BIG STAR WHEREVER PLAYING. LISTEN MY WORDS. THANK YOU. Eenok striked.

EENOK,HOKEYPROFESSOR,IL.FINLAND

funny that you say this. since vatanen is in the AHL. so obviously he's not ready

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
He doesnt need to be like beauchmin hes a completely different player than beauchmin. He doesnt need to be like anyone, he needs to be luca sbisa, hopefully with neids and fowler tutoring him hell gain some hockey iq and add that to his already above average skill set and turn into a good top 4 dmen. Hes still young as far as defencemen go.

Disagree with the bolded statement, and you took my post way too literal.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
And whatever you do, OP, do not believe this for a minute. Sbisa is still very much a talented player who has a lot of upside. He just needs to put it together, and figure out which way he needs to play to be at his best.

I thought he had it put together last year at times. He struck me as a Beauchemin 2.0 something's off this year.

Don't listen to Eenok for any unbiased talk on Vatanen, Sbisa, Lydman, or Fasth. Seems to be the only 4 players he knows about...and I use the word "knows" loosely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad