Prospect Info: Luca Del Bel Belluz, 2nd round 2022 draft, #44

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Really like this pick. Had a lot of steam as a 1st round pick at one point. Good upside and a good shot to take in 2nd round. Reminds me of the Svozil pick - he was also billed as 1st round potential and fell to CBJ. Shows a lot of potential. Maybe we hit here too.

Worst case we get some old music out of it...

1657294099694.png

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
The Mississauga Steelheads had a much better season than most experts expected. One of the key reasons for that was an unexpected breakout performance from Luca Del Bel Belluz. A third-round pick in the 2019 OHL Priority Selection Draft (51st overall), he scored just one goal and five assists for six points in his rookie season in 2019-20. This was followed by him missing the entire 2020-21 season with the OHL campaign being cancelled due to COVID-19. Del Bel Belluz came into his draft season as a relative unknown in scouting circles.

Reactions: VT

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
A close look at LDBB's game for you with tons of video (ignore that he's listed as a LW in the heading, that's incorrect):

My write up on him.

Stuff on him from my media/scout poll:

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
After a slow start in Sarnia, Luca Del Bel Belluz has found his game. 21 points in 18GP.

Currently they sit in a playoff spot with 15 games to go. Their season will end March 26th, so I assume the first round will end around April 7th? The Monsters last game is April 16th, so maybe he could be another guy that joins the team?

He should be full time AHL next season anyway.

Reactions: I3LI3

I3LI3

Jan 9, 2021
Columbus, OH
if anyone can recall, who has had more hype coming out of juniors: foudy or LDBB?

hoping he actually plays to his potential unlike Liam.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
if anyone can recall, who has had more hype coming out of juniors: foudy or LDBB?

I don't remember the hype over Foudy. I do remember reading an article where it was mentioned we made up for over drafting Foudy in the first by snagging a first round talent in the second round (Marchenko). I don't know whether LDBB is gonna be any good but just the fact that he is a second rounder instead of a first rounder should temper the pressure and expectations just a bit.

Reactions: Fro and I3LI3

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020

foudy was a projected second rounder who went in the mid/late first who was seen as a reach with one standout tool (skating).

lddb was a projected first rounder who went in the early/mid second who has multiple good tools (iq, shot, passing, compete) and one poor one (skating).

idk about 'hype' but in terms of momentum going into their respective drafts, luca had a lot more chatter

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
foudy was a projected second rounder who went in the mid/late first who was seen as a reach with one standout tool (skating).

lddb was a projected first rounder who went in the early/mid second who has multiple good tools (iq, shot, passing, compete) and one poor one (skating).

idk about 'hype' but in terms of momentum going into their respective drafts, luca had a lot more chatter
Regarding LDBB's skating, I read this (perhaps that makes him Vyborny-like? I never thought of Vybs as a speedy skater but his lateral skating (edge work) was top notch.:

McKeen’s Hockey attributed the surge of offensive production to “explosiveness out of pivots or cuts” that make up for his below-average skating ability. His lack of linear speed stunted his offensive game in 2019-20, and it might still hold him back to some extent down the road. However, his “agility, edgework, and weaving ability” have helped him put together some isolated highlight-reel goals with Mississauga this season that make him look like a top-notch skater.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad