Luca :eek::eek::eek::eek:i

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
...Everyone was really high on him a few months ago, and now he's out of every mock 1st rounds...

Is there something that happened recently?

vbet*

He better not get drafted by the leafs or Bob Cole is going to get fired.

BuppY

xGoodwillx
Dec 24, 2003
relatednews.net

I would like that to happen.

Well not fire but Bob Cole needs to call it a career and hang up the mic.

He is always behind the play and always making mistakes.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005

But what's the point ... It's a :eek::eek::eek::eek:i thread, and knowing what happens in LeafLand or ColeLand is somewhat pointless to me...

I would like to know WHY Bob Cole would get fired if the Leafs draft him... Is there anything to do with Cereda?

He was expected a while ago lower half of 1st round... The Leafs will either draft NEAR lower half or in early lower half...

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
But what's the point ... It's a :eek::eek::eek::eek:i thread, and knowing what happens in LeafLand or ColeLand is somewhat pointless to me...

I would like to know WHY Bob Cole would get fired if the Leafs draft him... Is there anything to do with Cereda?

He was expected a while ago lower half of 1st round... The Leafs will either draft NEAR lower half or in early lower half...
He would get fired for messing up his name. Imagine a game feature Fukufuji and :eek::eek::eek::eek:i. Cole would probably swear (although not intentionally) a lot).

Sashulitshka

May 11, 2005
...Everyone was really high on him a few months ago, and now he's out of every mock 1st rounds...

Is there something that happened recently?

There started some rumours about his personality but this is rubbish. He is a bright kid with exceptional talent (hands, skating). He decided to play in a lower league because of more ice-time and there are some coaches who don't like him but there are others who love him. The ones who don't like him wanted to convert him into a simple dump and chase-player. The ones who like him let him play his style, he is a bird and he loves to fly, so let him fly. Believe me...all these rumours about his questionable personality are just grown from jealous people in his surrounding. He is a good kid. I don't know whether he deserves to be a first-rounder because he is a "hit or miss"-player, means he will play in a dominant role in the NHL or he will never play. He would be a very fine second-round pick in my eyes - with some potential to hit the jackpot - but if someone is ready to take a little risk he could easily go late in the first.

Sashulitshka

May 11, 2005
What's happening right not is a some sort of ":eek::eek::eek::eek:i-bashing". One or two hockey-representatives out of Switzerland started to tell bad things about him and everybody is suddenly jumping the bandwagon. I guess this could also be in the interest of some NHL-organisations. Some - who really like him, and I guess there are some... - will enjoy this bashing with the result of :eek::eek::eek::eek:i is going down and down and down in most pre-draft-rankings... so you have the chance to get him quite late. He is a bit a hot and cold player. Tonight he really had some unbelievable shifts and in some shifts you hardly couldn't notice him. His vision is vastly underrated and also his play along the boards and in the corners. He improved his strenght a lot during this season. He has very strong legs already.

turnbuckle*

I have been in contact with Luca's mother (she has bought an issue of McKeen's Draft Digest), and I will be interviewing him on Monday.

There are a lot of question from scouts and GM's on what Luca's intentions are - does he want to play in North America? Will he play in the minors? Usually it's tough to lure the Swiss players over as they are treated well at home.

I'm looking forward to the interview, and his responses will be in the March issue of the Draft Digest (out on March 19).

He certainly has talent - one of the fastest players in the draft.

Rise from the Ashes

Price defies corsi
Sep 13, 2005
Pointe-Claire, QC
I have been in contact with Luca's mother (she has bought an issue of McKeen's Draft Digest), and I will be interviewing him on Monday.

There are a lot of question from scouts and GM's on what Luca's intentions are - does he want to play in North America? Will he play in the minors? Usually it's tough to lure the Swiss players over as they are treated well at home.

I'm looking forward to the interview, and his responses will be in the March issue of the Draft Digest (out on March 19).

How is his hockey sense?

Sashulitshka

May 11, 2005
How is his hockey sense?
His hockey-sense offensively is excellent, he has very good vision, maybe not top-notch goal-scorers-instincts but in terms of developing games it's very good. His hockey-sense defensively needs work but I guess this is much easier to learn than the other way round.

Sashulitshka

May 11, 2005

These are all old cliches... These times are over. Unless you are in the top5 of the Swiss national-team you don't have excellent salaries anymore in the Swiss League, I mean as an average or good Swiss player it's not that good. That's why I know that 99% of the young players are ready to go to North-America but of course the want to have a good program and the perspective to develop. If they see a chance to end in the NHL they are prepared to do whatever is necessary, also and especially Luca :eek::eek::eek::eek:i. This doesn't mean that some players return back to Switzerland if they don't see a realistic chance to reach the NHL...but this happens also with other Europeans. Old-style NHL-representatives have to learn that not every Swiss is rich and lives comfortable, not all Swiss players are fat, lazy and not committed to pay the price. If you follow the Swiss junior-nat-teams you will find out that they play very committed and the players are ready to pay a price, they work extremely hard, the problem is that their talent-level is usually not as good as the best teams in the world. I guess today it's easier for a Russian player to return to the RSL than for a Swiss player because in Russia players make much more money and also in other European leagues the salary gap is closing down towards the Swiss-level.

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
I would love if the Leafs grabbed him in RD 2... He could be the next 2nd rd steal.

Sashulitshka

May 11, 2005
He has speed (excellent fluid, soft stride and very good from second to third-gear, he should improve his explosivity from zero to first-gear although it's not bad either) hockey-sense and a very nice pair of hands also... of course he has also weaknesses: He should try to raise his intensity-level and in sometime he should become defensively a bit better. He also could improve his goal-scoring, he should look more also for the ugly goals and not always go for hight-light-reel ones...at least tonigth he scored one his rare ugly goals - a tip in right out of the crease.

turnbuckle*

These are all old cliches... These times are over. Unless you are in the top5 of the Swiss national-team you don't have excellent salaries anymore in the Swiss League, I mean as an average or good Swiss player it's not that good. That's why I know that 99% of the young players are ready to go to North-America but of course the want to have a good program and the perspective to develop. If they see a chance to end in the NHL they are prepared to do whatever is necessary, also and especially Luca :eek::eek::eek::eek:i. This doesn't mean that some players return back to Switzerland if they don't see a realistic chance to reach the NHL...but this happens also with other Europeans. Old-style NHL-representatives have to learn that not every Swiss is rich and lives comfortable, not all Swiss players are fat, lazy and not committed to pay the price. If you follow the Swiss junior-nat-teams you will find out that they play very committed and the players are ready to pay a price, they work extremely hard, the problem is that their talent-level is usually not as good as the best teams in the world. I guess today it's easier for a Russian player to return to the RSL than for a Swiss player because in Russia players make much more money and also in other European leagues the salary gap is closing down towards the Swiss-level.

You have 8 posts and all but a couple are pro Luca. Wouldn't happen to be his agent would you? You appear to be responding directly to things that were said in our magazine concerning how scouts felt about Luca - that he's perceived as a lazy rich kid.

They may be "old cliches" as you say, but it's precisely what scouts and GM's are concerned about.

It's not like you have a whole lot of examples to prove me wrong.

Where are all the Swiss draft picks from the past decade? And I mean ones drafted as 17-year-olds, not like Streit.

Where's Beat Forster? Where's Romy? Where's Sven Helfenstein? Have they come over and played junior or AHL to help adapt to the North American game and rinks? Nope - they're playing in....Zurich and Lugano.

If you're going to invest a first round pick on a kid, you want to be damn sure he's going to come over as soon as possible, to show he's committed.

The only Swiss player taken in the first Riesen, and we all know how that turned out. At least he went to the AHL, but that was as a 19-year-old and he was too young.

At least today they can go the junior route via the import draft, and that will be one of the questions I'll ask Luca..whether he's thinking about coming over next season.

Unless you can answer that for me. ;)

OilerOlli*

He already said that his target is the NHL.
I don't know if all the bashing it's all because of jealousy. Fact is that some coaches had problems with him. He wasn't even invited for a under 18 meeting or so?
He seems to be a bit arrogant and selfish. Perhaps the swiss Esposito?
:eek::eek::eek::eek:i has good hands and is of course a good prospect. But 1st round pick? I don't think so. Too many issues.
But I think somebody will draft him in the 2nd round. And perhaps it turns out to be a steel, and perhaps it turns out that it was a bust...

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
The only Swiss player taken in the first Riesen, and we all know how that turned out. At least he went to the AHL, but that was as a 19-year-old and he was too young.

At least today they can go the junior route via the import draft, and that will be one of the questions I'll ask Luca..whether he's thinking about coming over next season.
Luca Cereda was also drafted in the 1st round. Granted he did not turn out well. But he was willing to come over to North America and play for the '67s. Unfortunately, health problems prevented that from happening.

And of course, as you know, Yannick Weber and Lukas FLueler are already playing in the CHL.

So perhaps the trend is changing and we will start to see Swiss players come to North America in an attempt to make in the NHL. But who knows?

Sashulitshka

May 11, 2005
Yes, it's true that two coaches have problems with :eek::eek::eek::eek:i but this is typical Swiss mentality: If someone is a bit special and doesn't fit 100% to the team-concept (which is based on defense first and discipline) this someone has a very tough life in Swiss ice-hockey. Interesting is that not all coaches have problems with him, it's about 50:50. The concerns are there and also realistic, you have to concern with all prospects - if you you are not Crosby or Malkin - and it's also true that it's not way a bank that :eek::eek::eek::eek:i will be a good NHL-player. But it's obvious that he is the most talented Swiss hockey-player ever...and now he needs to develop into the player he potentially can be and look for the surroundings that help him to develop and don't put him on a fourth line with 5 minutes ice-time per game. The coaches in Switzerland are too strong - they are as much powerful as the GMs in the NHL and some of them want to show this all the time: "I'm the star and you are just the small player and if you don't behave exactly the way I want I will show you what will happen..." This all is no excuse for a bad :eek::eek::eek::eek:i behaviour in terms of problems but I'm not so sure whether there is really a bad :eek::eek::eek::eek:i behaviour.

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
Luca Cereda was also drafted in the 1st round. Granted he did not turn out well. But he was willing to come over to North America and play for the '67s. Unfortunately, health problems prevented that from happening.

And of course, as you know, Yannick Weber and Lukas FLueler are already playing in the CHL.

So perhaps the trend is changing and we will start to see Swiss players come to North America in an attempt to make in the NHL. But who knows?

Juraj Simek is also playing in Brandon, and Janick Steinmann played last year in Kamloops. Clearly, many Swiss players ARE willing to come over to improve their chances at the NHL. It seems like Russians are tougher to convince to come over and play North American junior or pro hockey than Swiss players, which makes sense given their high salaries, low taxes, and different lifestyle.

turnbuckle*

Good point about Weber and Cereda...maybe more will start coming over...but it's still less than a 50/50 chance based on stats, so you're taking a chance if you're drafting them overseas.

Weber will be picked in the top four rounds this season because he's already playing in North America. If he wasn't; he would be a late round pick at best I bet.

I'll get a better idea of where Luca's heart is at when i talk to him tomorrow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->